Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorms

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Wind has gone onshore now from a SE direction,already that clump has started to move NNWwards.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

had a faint rumble of thunder a few minutes ago with light spits of rain. Still feeling warm, sticky and muggy outside.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Thunder being reported at Casement and Kilkenny which is interesting.

Yep recorded that one DM.
    Sporadic strikes around the country,nothing clumped into a storm yet.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Thunderstorm here now:D
    About 7 rumbles of thunder, a loud clap and 2 flashs on lightning in past 3 minutes, sky is very dark

• Advertisement

Snowbie wrote:
    Yep recorded that one DM.
    Sporadic strikes around the country,nothing clumped into a storm yet.

I think this might be developing right over our heads atm:D Fingers cross. Nice on Gonzo:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

I know this means nothing but still, the met have put a thunderstorm symbol over us with their forecast update:D
    www.met.ie/
    The radar is looking very messy atm, nothing too organised

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Very heavy rain here (Carlow town) the past 30mins and a couple of rumbles of thunder. Still very dark, gloomy and heavy out.....so expecting more! :)

some very loud overhead claps over past few minutes, best thunderstorm here in ages, pouring outside now

Picking up those strikes over you nicely Gonzo.

• Advertisement

Yeh, quiet a bit of activity now, i'd be very surprised if i get anything here though, probably wont even get any rain:rolleyes: . It's dark to my South-West, West and North but the sun is nearly breaking through the clouds here and it looks pretty clear to my East. I'm actually forgetting what thunder sounds like:p

Thundery sky to my south and west. Have not heard even distant rumbles yet though. The lower level clouds are coming from just East of a Southerly direction and the upper level clouds are charred and static pretty much. Thats a good sign.:)

its dying down now, still a few distant rumbles, raining heavy still

Your detector isn't picking this up Snowbie, but on net weather lightning dectecor network, it's showing alot of activity, pretty much all along the river shannon, i don't know how acurate it is though

The strikes are triangulated using Net weather.My detector is apart of that system too.As mine is only detector working here in Ireland on the system its taken from the closest detectors available to the storm.So net weather triangulation detectors aint accurate for this country especially the western half of the country as there is just me and me alone unfortunately.Those strikes would have been mine at one stage. It is uploaded with no subscription every half hour.If subscribed its every 5mins with their LDN(lightning detection network)

Say for instance someone where to get a detector in Cork and Donegal for example well that is a perfect triangulation for this country and therefore it be accurate within 10meters.Even if 2 of my neighbours where to get detectors we could triangulate it accurately.Thats how it works.The more the accurate again etc etc if your on an LDN.Im on two of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Raining steadily here in Portlaoise. Doesn't look like anything thundery is likely at the moment, though. Looks like your typical, Irish, rainy summer's day! :rolleyes: :D Seems everything interesting has been happening to the north and northeast of here, judging by Snowbie's detector.

For some reason, I get the feeling that maybe the temperatures overland are too low today or the lack of sunshine to get some convection started or whatever means we won't be seeing anything much of a thundery nature for the rest of today, apart from maybe the odd sporadic spark here or there. The experts here would know more about this than I would, of course, but it's just a gut feeling I have based on the overcast sky and steady rain that I'm seeing here at the moment.

Check out the predicted rainfall for tomorrow night on the East coast

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn424.png

Look like some imports from Wales. Would be quite spectacular if it happens.

Id keep a VERY good eye on this because the CAPE and LI are perfect over Wales tomorrow night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

I've just got back from blanchardstown where all I had was torrential downpours and two claps of thunder, nice to hear thunder though. Some flooding on roads there and I hear there was a good bit of thunder here while i was gone, gonzo backs this up.

darkman2 wrote:

Id keep a VERY good eye on this because the CAPE and LI are perfect over Wales tomorrow night.
    Wow, superb. I'm really hoping for this comes off, can stay up as long as i want, as i don't have any exams between tomorrow and next Wednesday. I really want to have another go at photographing lightning aswell:D . Knowing our lucj though that will probably be as far away from the actual outcome as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Looks like the real heavy stuff is developing just to the north of here. Just a dreadful dull day here with some light showers.

Tomorrow looks abit interesting alright ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Looks very heavy whatever it is.....

Not even a rumble have i heard.In fact ytd.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭kkontour

Heard thunder and seen lightening here in sligo. Has been raining torrentially for about 40minutes. Easing off now though.

An inch of rain fell in Mullingar in an hour.

http://www.met.ie/latest/reports.asp

Very little rain has fallen here today at the coast.Never heavy at all.Just a few miles inland had some heavy bursts.
    Just 1.5mm from me for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

Not really any rain here today at all! Seems to have all just passed me by...!

A

darkman2 wrote:

trogdor wrote:
    Wow, superb. I'm really hoping for this comes off, can stay up as long as i want, as i don't have any exams between tomorrow and next Wednesday. I really want to have another go at photographing lightning aswell:D . Knowing our lucj though that will probably be as far away from the actual outcome as possible.
    The 12z has taken it away:mad: :( , it seems to break out the same heavy rain over Northern England later on

Raining heavily here again but brightening up to the south.

Continue to post here in the event of all things thunderstorm related,wheather it be radar,maps,charts,forecasts or just simple discussions.

Weather pics(clouds,lightning) in attachments only are allowed here otherwise use [thread=2055050139]Weather pics 2007[/thread] for your snaps.

Over the months you will find some variables or terms describing suitability of storms which are:
    CAPE - This is the amount of potential energy in the atmosphere. High CAPE will indicate a high chance of thunderstorms.
    LI - Lifted Index (LI) displays the 'trigger' potential at the surface to initiate unstable conditions. A low or negative LI will indicate conditions for thunderstorms are favourable.
    Cb-Cumulonimbus or thundercloud.
    Anvil-Where the top of the Cb reaches the stratosphere and spreads out like a flat top.
    Cell or Supercell-An individual storm or a violent storm.
    Squall line-Multi cellular organised storms forming in a line usually ahead or parallel to cold fronts.
    Embedded Storms-Storms that are contained in overcast conditions
    Convection-Warm air rising,cools,condenses forming cumuli clouds.
    Orographic lift-Low level winds are forced to rise against rising terrain ie:mountains.Prevailing wind on a hot summers day,this lift can produce rapid convection.
    Convergence zone-usually refers to a region in the atmosphere where two prevailing winds meet and interact, usually resulting in turbulent weather.
    Lapse rate steepeing-is another fancy term for instability.
    Sferics-Sound of low-frequency radio signals that derive from lightning strikes.Common terms would be strikes or strokes.

A couple of links

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rsfloc.html

Estofex

http://www.blitzortung.org/index.php?mode=0&map=5&lang=e

http://www.nowcast.co.uk/lightning/

http://meteocentre.com/lightning/map_sfuk.php?time=0&lang=en&map=Europe

http://www.estofex.org/guide/

If anyone has any more feel free to post them.

Continue [thread=2055106728]here[/thread]

• Advertisement

Heavy downpour here for last 10-15mins now, brightness to the southwest is gone.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement