Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorms

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

A sharp shower according to the radar over N kildare,can see the CB from here in a setting sun.Good pic if i had a camera.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Its really about to kick off across Southeast England with storms moving up from France. Going to be an interesting day there tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

I'm following them too dm. Are they intensifying? Loads of intense echoes on radar and this link shows the current state of the cells for anyone interested:
    http://www.meteo.fr/special/PI/OPIC_MF/France/index.htm
    And for anyone new to following weather events purely out of interest there is a good forum here to track them:
    http://theweatheroutlook.com/twocommunity/forums/16/256979/ShowThread.aspx#256979

Sunday/Monday should be interesting for us RC28 but right now there some serious storms approaching Southeast England.

Most of the country may see thunderstorms on Monday but it looks like Tuesday may be the day for the East Coast and temperatures remain high and pressure drops.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn9611.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Looks ironically that while i'm gunning into my Atmosphere / Ocean Environment question for geography there may well be fireworks a cracking!!

Now that would not be fair!!

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn664.png

A positive forecast for storms next week,the threat increasing as the week goes on.Homegrown would be a certainty with the midlands most at risk but a very good chance of the bay of biscay stuff threating from the south putting the south and east in the firing line.
    With a east SE wind being the dominant wind direction a chance of imports from Wales a chance too.These in recent years have been few and far between but with a ever warming Irish sea and unstable air above it,storms probably will make the distance over water to us.

Any threats will be probably be a nowcast for here in the east rather than a certainty that an outbreak will occur but is potentially it can become electric from two directions.
    To remain warm and humid throughout.High temps,humidity and dewpoints forecast,see what Cape and trigger levels closer to the time be like.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Rtavn544.png

I hear the bangs now..................!!!:D :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

Some heavy storms currently off the south coast:

http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

Wonder if they'll reach landfall and push inland tonight???

Anyway, according to the 9:30 weather on RTE we seem to be all guaranteed a deluge of some sort some time this week. Will be good for the spuds...

A

arctictree wrote:
    Some heavy storms currently off the south coast:

http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

Wonder if they'll reach landfall and push inland tonight???

Anyway, according to the 9:30 weather on RTE we seem to be all guaranteed a deluge of some sort some time this week. Will be good for the spuds...

A
    Nothing electric in them.

http://www.nowcast.co.uk/lightning/
    Frontal belt with nimbostratus/stratus.But if it moves inland could pep up with residual heat off the land.

Yep looks like some parts will get a deluge tomorrow and especially tuesday.

• Advertisement

Tuesday is really the day that convergence between two airmasses is at its most accute however it is possible that Dublin southward on the East coast could miss out completely both Monday and Tuesday. Cape limit, Lifted index and temperature at upper and lower levels may be condusive but wind direction may not. In the absence of sea-based convection wind direction is vital and should be as offshore as possible. Dont get too excited yet!.

Quiet possible DM,but remember were in a Col presently.So upper level winds are more significant than surface winds and upper winds tend to sw to ne direction in these types of set up.Showers or perhaps storms can drift where they want too basically and no surface winds moving them any place too quickly.

Convergence in the west today so there most at risk but anywhere tomorrow including the east.As always its hit and miss.

We have a sea breeze today but like yesterday it's very weak-so not a help to convergence in ordinary circumstances.

Those storms that built up over wales yesterday had no thunder in them according to the Beeb last night but they did produce a funnel cloud.

http://theweatheroutlook.com/twocommunity/forums/thread/262116.aspx

It's warm and sticky here already and got up to 21c very briefly untill the seabreeze kicked in-though so far like yesterday it's only slightly tempering things-I'm glad it's there though!
    This week should be interesting but I'm more expecting heavy showers than much thunder tbh.

Were starting to see the heat get to work now. Thunderstorms developing along a squall line through the midlands. No thunder yet but they will turn thundery soon IMO. I dont see how they wont! Also Wales starting to see developing storms and interestingly Southwest England has pepped up in the last half hour so perhaps something there for the Southeast coast later.

Can see the towering cumulus from here through the haze a bit.See how it just misses us cause of the forecfield around Dublin as it travels North:rolleyes:

The rememnants of that front down south will probably die off before it reaches the south east coast before peping back up over land.
    Not a breath of air here or sea breeze.

Edit:Looks like the front is getting more active even over the sea.

Looks like that front has hit Rosslare. Could do with some rain here....

A

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

There's a very dark, thundery looking sky roughly north or northwest of Portlaoise at the moment. I'm surprised something hasn't kicked off in that direction already. Very humid and sticky here as well, too. As other's here have already said, I'd be very surprised if there wasn't some sort of thundery activity somewhere in the midlands before the evening is out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Its been raining here in Waterford City about 2 hours now but no storms. What a change from yesterday at this time :(

Thunderstorm in Birr, Co Offaly atm. Should see some fireworks elsewhere over the next couple of hours;)

Those heavy downpours seem to be in the athlone area. Checked dolanbakers site - http://dolanbaker.info/weather

14mm in the last hour...

A

• Advertisement

Met Eireann has just issued a thunderstorm warning for the midlands and west according to the AA.

Some activity in cardigan bay wales pushing NW but will it make the sea crossing to the east coast?

Snowbie wrote:
    Some activity in cardigan bay wales pushing NW but will it make the sea crossing to the east coast?

Doubt it tbh. BTW the wind direction is about to change. Its going to turn Southwestery after dark and then more westerly but light. This is very good for tomorrow. Hopefully the wind is as offshore as possible.

It's already turned south southwest here - though its varying southeast still a bit and is very light at 4-8 mph or so.
    Thats from southeast for most of the afternoon and northeast earlier.

I also doubt the welsh stuff will make it across,it's the remenants of land convection by the looks of it and like yesterdays will probably die a death out at sea.It's not hot enough.
    Quite muggy again today almost hitting 23c.

Yep agree,not a chance welsh convection will hit here.Sea temps not great.
    Decent cape forecast tomorrow up to the mid 400j/kg with LI negative.
    If we do get our SW darkman it could be interesting with a few heavy showers.Temps a bit down on today but Dp and humidity favourable.

Theres something dark and threatening cooking over north west wexford.
    I've a mw radio on here too with some frequent loud crackles.

The shower is south west of me and closing in.
    It looks like your typical convergence zone mt leinster to south wicklow stuff-though the radar doesnt appear to support that as yet.Theres definitely something there though.

I'm wondering whats going on.
    Normally I'm of the view that at this hour of the evening,it's past peak but I notice the cell over kildare is back building into northwest wicklow/south dublin direction when in theory it should be dying down.

As I type the radio crackles are becoming more frequent (I'm such a nerd for checking that :D)

Off line now for a few hours-back later.

Happy thundering :p

Will look out for that on radar. Meanwhile sunny here again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

The heavans opened, briefly just after 6 when I left work. The sky turned an orangey greyish haze. It looked like a TS was about to break but this has moved NW and its sunny now in SW Dublin.

Met Eireann reporting Thunder in Bellmullet 20oC there atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

There's a small towering cumulus i suppose you'd call it but it's fairly hefty and looks amazing in the orangey haze. Will post up some pictures in a short while after some study. It's hopfully a sign of what's to come tomorrow.
    Also, any update on biscay storms, is the risk ending now or does it continue through this week?
    EDIT: I was watching it develop into cumulonimbus i started talking to someone for literally 30 seconds, i turned back around and it had died and gone back to a completely flat cumulus again.
    EDIT 2: It's now shot up a few more towers:o, it seems to be dieing and then rebuiling in the same place over and over, doesn't seem to be getting anywhere either or it's extremely slow moving

• Advertisement

darkman2 wrote:
    Will look out for that on radar. Meanwhile sunny here again.

Well there you go,it's on the radar now as a little bit of blue just south of me.
    You can see it appear out of nowhere on the animated radar about an hour and a half ago.
    Obviously conditions just got right in the area and then just as it was born the energy troughed unfortunately as it ran out of time/heat.
    It headed due east.The sky is treateningly dark looking towards it with some sharp edges to the clouds.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement