Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is intending on doing maths, physics, tp after the leaving..

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

Yea i noticed the starring out yesterday it's weird alright...lets try again: maths *******d. Its like they think that everybody there reads up on shed loads of maths in their spare time whuch in some cases is true bot not to the degree where everybody is conversant with things which mightn't have been covered in school at basic level!But you're right it is interesting, just too much too quickly-i know they think people can cop on quickly but its hard to cop on if as you say you are going straight into the 'as hard as it gets' stuff without doing the basics!

yes the word is still being starred out!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Well it's due to the legal stuff and the fact that the venue with the same name is owned by that company (or so I assume), but it's still odd.

Well it's due to the legal stuff and the fact that the venue with the same name is owned by that company (or so I assume), but it's still odd.
    Well thats that sorted but as you said its still very very odd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

ok i got completely lost trying to read that computer jargon stufff so ill just refer back to op.
    im entering CK408 physics & astrophysics @ UCC.i pickd that one because theres 6 degree options you can follow.at the moment im looking at the chemical physics option..sounds pretty interesting.

with all that said,havent the slightest clue what the hell im gonna do after college :D

• Advertisement

ok i got completely lost trying to read that computer jargon stufff so ill just refer back to op.
    im entering CK408 physics & astrophysics @ UCC.i pickd that one because theres 6 degree options you can follow.at the moment im looking at the chemical physics option..sounds pretty interesting.

with all that said,havent the slightest clue what the hell im gonna do after college :D
    Sounds like an interesting choice!what kind of things do they cover in the chemical physics option at UCC?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

See ya next year! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭sd123

what sort of jobs can you get from physics and maths degrees?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

sd123 wrote:
    what sort of jobs can you get from physics and maths degrees?
    disclaimer : I haven't actually verified this too well, but as far as I can tell...

The whole point of a physics and/or maths degree is that it gives you a reputation that you are smarter than most of the people around you. This sets you up nicely to work as some sort of consultant or adviser which pays so much better than being a lowly employee, and leaves you with none of the responsibility. Or you could go into management.

cocoa wrote:
    disclaimer : I haven't actually verified this too well, but as far as I can tell...

The whole point of a physics and/or maths degree is that it gives you a reputation that you are smarter than most of the people around you. This sets you up nicely to work as some sort of consultant or adviser which pays so much better than being a lowly employee, and leaves you with none of the responsibility. Or you could go into management.
    Exactly:D :D you can do any job you want as people over estimats the intelligence required to get these degrees.I believe the head of production of M&Ms in Europe has a TP degree from tcd(unless the person has changed since).....correct me if i'm wrong!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

In the field of Physics/Maths, all you can do is academia or research. And you'll need a postgrad for that. However as was said, people will look at a TP graduate and go "Ooooh, he's a smart fucker! Let's give him a job."

Having any kind of a degree sets you higher on the employment ladder, it being a degree as difficult as Maths or Physics sets you a leeedle bit higher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

Raphael wrote:
    In the field of Physics/Maths, all you can do is academia or research.

You make it sound like a bad thing!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Oops, my bad. Probabl shouldn;t make my current goal look bad alright. =p

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭GretchenWieners

Just a small note, a guy in my year got 550 and got A1s in Physics, Applied Maths and Maths. He dropped out of TP after 6weeks cos he hated it!!! He also said the people in the course were really unsociable and unfriendly too. He's repeating for med last I heard.

Just a small note, a guy in my year got 550 and got A1s in Physics, Applied Maths and Maths. He dropped out of TP after 6weeks cos he hated it!!! He also said the people in the course were really unsociable and unfriendly too. He's repeating for med last I heard.
    I'd say there are quite a lot of people like that actually who drop out.Its like whats been said on other threads.Anybody who is 'smart' can do well in those subjects, but mistake the doing well as a reason to go for the degree....but to get the degree you must be interested as well!and being good at it doesn't mean you're that interested!:D

lemansky wrote:
    I'd say there are quite a lot of people like that actually who drop out.Its like whats been said on other threads.Anybody who is 'smart' can do well in those subjects, but mistake the doing well as a reason to go for the degree....but to get the degree you must be interested as well!and being good at it doesn't mean you're that interested!:D

Meh. I dropped out of TP after three months after really looking forward to it. A better story is the person who got the most A1s in the leaving cert in 2002 left TP after 2 weeks :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

What are you doing at the moment so myth? I am still looking forward to it though! I genuinely do think I am interested enough to give it a go! Also how does one know a course is not for them after two weeeks?:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I've figured already TP isn't for me.

A lot of logically/mathematically inclined people go through a phase of being fascinated by modern physics and many put down TP due to this reason. Unfortunately, when one actually goes to study it it's probably not as mind blowing as one might have thought.

Despite loving Maths and Physics I really don't think I'd like really complex in depth study of either of those subjects. I could handle it, but I'd probably be bored.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

From what I've heard from some friends doing TP in Trinity, the maths is good, but the physics stuff is immensely boring, especially the labs.
    Then again, I'd say it's a personal thing. Some might find the maths boring and all that!

dan719 wrote:
    What are you doing at the moment so myth? I am still looking forward to it though! I genuinely do think I am interested enough to give it a go! Also how does one know a course is not for them after two weeeks?:eek:

Final year Civil, Structural & Environmental Engineering. I decided that I wanted something a bit more practical. Though after 5 years in college (I took a year out in between 3rd and 4th year) I ended up doing my final year project on something involving satellites. I suppose you can take the person out of Physics...

For anyone going into a course in Trinity, there can be chances for you to change course should you feel that it's not for you. It's a long way down the road, but you'll be assigned a tutor in college. Make sure to meet them, because if you decide that your course isn't for you, you'll need 'em!

Anyways, from what I hear the TP course is being changed in first year so your year should be somewhat more interesting then others (from my POV, I'm sure others will disagree with me).

• Advertisement

Myth wrote:
    Meh. I dropped out of TP after three months after really looking forward to it. A better story is the person who got the most A1s in the leaving cert in 2002 left TP after 2 weeks :D
    Now that is a good story!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 lennykravitz

hey anyone know anything about the applied physics courses in DCU and UL?
    college prospectus' and websites offer **** all info if u ask me
    they seem fairly attractive to potential employers, but would science in trinity be thought to be superior?:rolleyes:

Advertisement