Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This years Hollywood style football script: could it happen?

• 13-04-2007 2:46am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭

gotta admit im slightly worried about how everone has seemingly already discarded "the elderly" Milan's chance of winning the CL. It seems like one of those sporting scripts like Istanbul 2yrs ago for liverpool. Scandal in Italien football, so Italy win the world cup. Milan one of the teams punished in the scandal somehow get into this years competition and in Milan's legendary captain Paolo Maldini's possible last ever game would you put it beyond him lifting the trophy this year. could even be a repeat of Istanbul with an AC.Milan vs Liverpool final.

anyone think this could actually happen?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

of course it could happen. you can of never rule out Milan. i think any one of the teams left could win it, i don't think there is much between them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I don't think anybody has written off Milan.
    I don't think anybody would be that suprised to see a A.C. Milan vs. Liverpool final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I pray Milan win the CL this year. If for no other reason - Maldini is a living legend and looms like he is hanging up the boots. For his last act as captain of his lifelong club would be beyond perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Any one of the four remaining teams can win the competition. So yes, it could happen.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

From reading the title of this thread I thought it was going to be a big Manu vs Vhelsea thing.

As for the above, I hope it is a Milan - Liverpool final with the same outcome (if not the same drama) as 2 years ago. If Kaka, Pirlo, Nesta, Gattuso and the rest play like they can then it will be no surprise if Milan win it. I think we can disregard the United - Roma result off as a freak occurance and won't have any bearing on the game. United's quick 2nd and 3rd goals killed their spirits and they had no character to respond. Milan are a different proposition despite their patchy Serie A displays so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

I think it will be a Liverpool V Ac Milan final to be honest. Just look at the 4 semi finalists this year to the 4 2 years ago.
    This Year - AC Milan V Man. Utd + Liverpool V Chelsea
    2 years ago - AC Milan V PSV + Liverpool V Chelsea

Its destined to be Liverpool's cup. COME ON THE POOL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

It could happen but I think Milan will struggle to cope with the sheer pace of United's play. Their defensive organisation is top class though, so I think it will be a very tough tie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

One thing you have to take into account is that Milans players will have more time to prepare & have a longer rest for the games. This is the trophy Milan can win & will put all there consentration on winning this. Also in the match against Empoli last week before they played Bayern Nesta,Maldini,Seedorf,Inzaghi,Oddo & Janku were all rested for the game. So Milan can afford to rest alot of players for the Serie A games & United cant really afford to rest any players for any games with the amount of injuries they have.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Maldini said earlier in the season that he won't be retiring if he isn't injured at the end of the year...

so hopefully he can stick around for another year.

IMHO he is the best player to never win a world cup.

Actually, Milan can't afford to rest players any more than United can.
    Milan still have to qualify for the CL, and if they don't, the repruccussions for the are much much worse than United's if they don't win the league.
    A season without CL football will likely see the departure of their young stars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,080 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

realistically though Milan should be able to make the top 4 without too much hassle. they are a point behind palermo (a decent side no doubt) with a game in hand. yes its very important they win most of their games, but i feel there is enough scope there for them to scrape 4th and still put out decent well prepared, reasonably rested teams for the semi's.

I really cant wait for the milan united matches though, i think milan are being written off very unfairly considering they still have a quality defence, a potentially amazing midfield if seedorf decides to play and enough of a forward line to help the midfielders (kaka) to score, or even get one themselves (super pippo or gila).

Who is writing off Milan? Everyone keeps saying they shouldn't be written off, but who is really writing them off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Anam

Seaneh wrote:
    Maldini said earlier in the season that he won't be retiring if he isn't injured at the end of the year...

so hopefully he can stick around for another year.

IMHO he is the best player to never win a world cup.
    Really?Better than Best,Di Stefano,Puskas?

It will be really interesting to see how the Milan United matches unfold,given their style of play.Its so tough to call.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

PHB wrote:
    Who is writing off Milan? Everyone keeps saying they shouldn't be written off, but who is really writing them off?

to be honest i dont think anyone is writting them off but seemingly nobody is tipping them to win the cup, and there is a lot of talk of an all english final. Sky were just talking about Chelsea vs Man utd in all 3 competitions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I'd say both sides in the Liverpool - Chelsea semi want Milan in the final. I think a Liverpool/Chelsea - Utd final would be bad. I think both sides would be ****ting it at the prospect of losing to each other.It's not like an FA cup final. It could end up being a poor final.

Or both sides could go all out and it could be a cracker, what do I know.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

Reganio 2 wrote:
    I think it will be a Liverpool V Ac Milan final to be honest. Just look at the 4 semi finalists this year to the 4 2 years ago.

Don't forget that Milan also knocked out Utd earlier in the competition two years ago.

Yeh, with broadly similar teams, except Milan are two years older without Shev, and United are two years older, without Ruud. I think it's gona be a tight match, and to be honest, I'm not sure we'll win it. They have a big advantage playing away first.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭purple'n'gold

Have a feeling it will be a Man U V Chelsea final.

PHB wrote:

Mainly stupid United fans who don't know anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Stekelly wrote:
    I'd say both sides in the Liverpool - Chelsea semi want Milan in the final. I think a Liverpool/Chelsea - Utd final would be bad. I think both sides would be ****ting it at the prospect of losing to each other.It's not like an FA cup final. It could end up being a poor final.

Or both sides could go all out and it could be a cracker, what do I know.:)

I completely agree, as much as an all english final sounds good I fear it would be worse than the league meetings between these teams. Think about how bad it would be for the losing team, in 100 years time they will not have lived it down.

• Advertisement

Yeh, course there are no stupid Milan fans who are writing off Man Utd, or no stupid Liverpool fans who are writing off Chelsea, or no Chelsea fans who are writing off Liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Yeh, course there are no stupid Milan fans who are writing off Man Utd, or no stupid Liverpool fans who are writing off Chelsea, or no Chelsea fans who are writing off Liverpool

No need to go looking for a fight. It's a fair comment that many of the sky-sports watching Man Yoo brigade see themselves already through to the final. Nobody made any comment about Milan, Liverpool or Chelsea fans, and I fail to see the relavence of them in this thread (which is about discussing the likelihood of Milan reaching the final...).

I'm not looking for a fight, I'm just pointing out that the same statement could be made about any set of fans, which is equally fair comment.
    If you think that the initial poster was simply observing that United fans were making those comments, and while he realised that other fans were making those comments, he decided it wasn't appropriate to the thread, then you are sorely deluded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Any one of the permutations for the final is so interesting, I love it.

- Man United vs Chelsea as part of a triple bill FA Cup/Premiership/Champions League bonanza
    - Man United vs Liverpool, with the history between the clubs, would surely be one of the most rivalry-filled matches in a long time
    - AC Milan vs Liverpool as a repeat of the unbelievable 2006 final, with Milan out for revenge
    - AC Milan vs Chelsea, the return of Shevchenko to face his old team

They'll all probably be terrible matches, but the hype before the game will be enjoyable enough.

I predict Man United v Chelsea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

If you think that the initial poster was simply observing that United fans were making those comments, and while he realised that other fans were making those comments, he decided it wasn't appropriate to the thread, then you are sorely deluded.

Why am I deluded? Why would he mention the expectations of Chelsea/Liverpool fans when the thread is about the chances of Milan.

Don't answer that, because any time I read your responses, I want to stab out my own eyes with disbelief.

PHB wrote:

the original poster by which i would assume you mean me, if so your right cos i never suggested whom was dismissing Milan in my opening post if im honest. However since then i did state that nobody seems to be backing them to win it. Personally I would love to see Milan do it if only for Paolo Maldini (a true legend) especially in a repeat of Istanbul vs Liverpool. I just think it would be extra-special if Milan after losing Shevchenko could emerge from the turmoil of the match fixing scandal (which made it near impossible to win their own national league) and like the Italian national team at the world cup become European champions.

Don't answer that, because any time I read your responses, I want to stab out my own eyes with disbelief.

If that is the case, what possible reason could you have for reading my posts? There's an ignore function for a reason.

When I meant the original poster, I didn't mean you Bounty Hunter, I meant tdv.

PHB wrote:

I never said there wasn't tho. You asked who was writing of Milan & I told you & there seems to be an awful lot of these ignorant fans (no offence to anyone here, most people here seem to be a bit more sensible than that)

Fair enough, my bad.

• Advertisement

its happening...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Reganio 2 wrote:

Damn its hard being this good :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Reganio 2 wrote:
    Damn its hard being this good :cool:

someone has to do it!

couldent resist the bump. prehaps 30mins from Paolo the milanese legend lifting the throphy. anyone know if this will be his last game as it would be a fitting way to complete such a great career.

edit... its happened Forza Milan, Paolo lifts the cup and collects his 5th winners medal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I think Maldini says he wants another season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

I predict Man United v Chelsea

Ahem...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dublin's Finest

Slurms wrote:
    I think Maldini says he wants another season.

Yep, he's said he's staying for one more. What a player.

Advertisement