Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in rural areas in tipp

Options
  • 13-04-2007 8:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 54,313 ✭✭✭✭

was looking at the Tipperary Star and saw this

'Broadband For 35 Villages InTipperary
    Thirty-five villages in Tipperary - 10 in South Tipperary and 15 in North Tipperary - are to get broadband access over the coming months as Eircom upgrades the local telephone exchanges in these areas.
    Fianna Fail Dail candidates, Nenagh-based TD Maire Hoctor and Clonmel-based Cllr Siobhan Ambrose, have welcomed the move, saying the infrastructure is critical for the growth of rural areas.
    In South Tipperary, Ballingarry, Ballyporeen, Clerihan, Drangan, Emly, Golden, Grange, Lattin, Mullinahone and Newcastle Village are to be connected to the broadband network over the coming months.
    In North Tipperary, Ardcroney, Ballinderry, Birdhill, Borrisokane, Cappawhite, Cloughjordan, Donohill, Drangan, Gortnagowna, Gurtnahoe, Hollyford, Lattin, Lorrha, Puckane and Rathcabbin are to be connected.
    Deputy Hoctor said: 'Eircom is committing an extra 30 million euro to allow up to 140,000 new customers across the country to connect to a broadband-enabled exchange.
    'The move comes following a meeting between Communications Minister Noel Dempsey and Eircom management where the Government made it clear it wanted to see substantial progress on broadband in a number of areas.
    'Significantly, the National Development Plan's focus on better rollout of broadband services in rural areas over the coming years shows the Government is committed to supporting business, wherever it is.'
    Cllr Ambrose said: 'Broadband access also builds communities by helping friends and relatives to keep in touch over the internet.
    'Fast access to high-tech computer technology is a vital component of the business platform.
    'Without broadband, businesses are less likely to start up in rural areas.
    'Creating high-capacity backbone infrastructure for broadband is key to putting our rural communities on the technological map.
    'It secures their future through job creation and investment and allows ordinary households to tap the information age.'

i wonder how long it will take to get to these places

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

My own little part of the world in Galway was promised the same thing on the doorstep last night by Fianna Fail also. It must be an election year or something.

We have been on a list from Eircom to be upgraded for a year now. Still no word other than from Politicos that this is going ahead. Naturally they couldnt give us a date only "soon".

• Registered Users Posts: 54,313 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

DaBreno wrote:
    My own little part of the world in Galway was promised the same thing on the doorstep last night by Fianna Fail also. It must be an election year or something.

We have been on a list from Eircom to be upgraded for a year now. Still no word other than from Politicos that this is going ahead. Naturally they couldnt give us a date only "soon".
    i was thinking it was a election thing

• Registered Users Posts: 17 clintgreenford

well a year later, and cloughjordan are still waiting and eircom cant give me any idea as to when it might happen. Anyone out there have any news on this?

answered my own question, I actually managed to get hold of someone helpful in eircom. For anyone interested, Cloughjordan is on the list for the third quarter of this year, which is july-sept, and they have been working on schedule lately, so this is a reliable date.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

In South Tipperary, Ballingarry, Drangan, Mullinahone Village are to be connected to the broadband network over the coming months.

One year on still no broadband:mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Neesie

I'm in rural south tipp too, but for broadband purposes would be on a west waterford phone line - there seems to be NO hope for us to ever get broadband from what I can see and it's wrecking my head!!! does anyone know of local broadband providers (like irish broadband etc) that might do til we're offically in the 21st century??? I got a vodafone mobile broadband modem today thinking it would be the answer to my prayers, but it's still only connecting at a speed of 53.6kbps :confused: - I was hoping it would be faster than that! dunno now whether to send it back after 14 day trial and keep trying or what - advice would be gratefully accepted!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

Neesie wrote: »
    I'm in rural south tipp too, but for broadband purposes would be on a west waterford phone line - there seems to be NO hope for us to ever get broadband from what I can see and it's wrecking my head!!! does anyone know of local broadband providers (like irish broadband etc) that might do til we're offically in the 21st century??? I got a vodafone mobile broadband modem today thinking it would be the answer to my prayers, but it's still only connecting at a speed of 53.6kbps :confused: - I was hoping it would be faster than that! dunno now whether to send it back after 14 day trial and keep trying or what - advice would be gratefully accepted!!!!

What part of "rural south Tipp" are you in? Have you tried Premier Broadband, the Tipperary crowd, not laois for coverage in your area?

What part of "rural south Tipp" are you in? Have you tried Premier Broadband, the Tipperary crowd, not laois for coverage in your area?

I'm in newcastle area - which has broadband - but not on the newcastle exchange! I'm on a waterford exchange. I've rang premier broadband twice and they didn't get back to me but I may try again. Thanks for the reminder I'd forgotten about them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭MickLimk

I got a vodafone mobile broadband modem today thinking it would be the answer to my prayers, but it's still only connecting at a speed of 53.6kbps :confused: - I was hoping it would be faster than that! dunno now whether to send it back after 14 day trial and keep trying or what - advice would be gratefully accepted!!!!

One thing that might be worth your while trying on the 3G modem is selecting '3G only' in your connection settings. I know this has helped people using O2 anyway and they both use the same hardware...

Thanks Mick - just tried that and got a message saying "operation prohibited now". Did a bit of research yest and it looks like digiweb might be able to provide it - fingers crossed!

• Advertisement

Thanks Mick - just tried that and got a message saying "operation prohibited now". Did a bit of research yest and it looks like digiweb might be able to provide it - fingers crossed!

are you near mullinahone Neesie?? we were lumbered with that sh*tty zone a while ago. still waiting for a refund from them for their crap service

answered my own question, I actually managed to get hold of someone helpful in eircom. For anyone interested, Cloughjordan is on the list for the third quarter of this year, which is july-sept, and they have been working on schedule lately, so this is a reliable date.

who did you contact clint? i emailed eircom the other day but got no reply yet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Where exactly is the Mullenaglouch exchange in Co. Tipperary ??

Is it here ??

http://maps.yahoo.com/#mvt=m&lat=52.445918&lon=-7.470623&mag=3&q1=7.470623%20w52.445918n

( then zoom out a bit to see around) should be 051647xxx numbers

I'm in newcastle area - which has broadband - but not on the newcastle exchange! I'm on a waterford exchange. I've rang premier broadband twice and they didn't get back to me but I may try again. Thanks for the reminder I'd forgotten about them!

sorry neesie didn't read whole thread

who did you contact clint? i emailed eircom the other day but got no reply yet.

I called them direct on their custmer service number, and got transeferred to someone. Now we are into the third quarter, they are unable to tell me when in the next three months we will be done, as if the engineers dont have a schedule? We just lost our 3g access from vodafone (afrter getting it for 18 months we suddenly lost it, and vodafoneclaim we were lucky to get it in the first place) so am switching to 02 who appear to have better coveravge in the area anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Broadbandfinder

Hi All,

I belive Ocean Telecommunications(Azotel-Ocean)have Broadband coverage in these areas ! give them a call,they also have a phone service that works on any broadband connection with no line rental!

snip

O! and i have been told its a very good service.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Hijacking old discussions for advertising purposes is not quite popular around here !!

/M

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

dragging up an old thread to advertise, nice,
    User Banned, thread locked

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement