Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sun Certified Programmer

Options
  • 13-04-2007 9:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭

Hi all

I'm thinking of doing the Sun Certified Programmer course as listed here:
    http://uk.sun.com/training/catalog/courses/CX-310-055.xml

I'm just wondering how the process works? Is that £150 just for the exam? Where do I find out about the curriculum I'll be tested on? I've loads of experience of java 1.4 but none of 5.0, so is there a particular book / website / course I should follow.

Cheers

B2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

I'm using the book by Kathy Sierra and Bert Bates at the moment. Its pretty good, and given that the two of them were lead developers for the 5.0 exam, its well-focussed on just the right stuff.

"Sun Certified Java Programmer for Java 5 Study Guide" from Osborne (McGrawHill).

You should find it on any online bookstore, if not in yoru local bricks-and-mortar.

They also do an accompanying test-exam CD, I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭radioactiveman

Hi the sierra & bates book will give you all the info you need on the curriculum. One thing to look out for is the fact that the exam has about 5 or 6 (can't remember exactly) sections. Each section has at least 5 questions so if you're not sure of a section (like garbage collection... caught me) you might miss 5 questions which could be 8 or 9 per cent
    The exam is all you have to do to get the certification (60 questions)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Beta2

Hi

I've ordered the Sun Certified Java Programmer for Java 5 Study Guide book as you suggested. So I suppose I'll just read that and apply for the exam, is it online or do I have to visit a test center.

Cheers B2

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭mwrf

Beta2 wrote:
    Hi

I've ordered the Sun Certified Java Programmer for Java 5 Study Guide book as you suggested. So I suppose I'll just read that and apply for the exam, is it online or do I have to visit a test center.

Cheers B2

you visit a test centre
    Each voucher is valid for one exam and may only be used at an Authorized Prometric Testing Center in the country for which it was purchased

prometric run the motor theory test here i think

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Hi, I've a friend who finished a Computer Science degree last year. He has a 3 in an honours degree.

He's thinking about doing a Sun Certified Programmer (SCJP) or Sun Certified Developer (SCJP) certification and I'm asking if anyone knows how these qualifications are regarded in the industry and what's the difference between the two?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

The Programmer is a pre-req for the Developer, for a start, so if he's definnitely gonna do "one or the other" he can start on the Programmer.

As for the difference...they're completely different. The programmer course is multi-choice. The Developer is project- and essay-based.

The details of both are on Sun's Java site, where you'd expect them to be.

As to how well they're regarded....I believe they will become literally mandatory within the next 5 years, especially if you're trying to compete against off-shoring or on-shoring, where you can be damned sure the competition will charge lower rates and have these qualifications.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

humbert wrote:
    Hi, I've a friend who finished a Computer Science degree last year. He has a 3 in an honours degree.

He's thinking about doing a Sun Certified Programmer (SCJP) or Sun Certified Developer (SCJP) certification and I'm asking if anyone knows how these qualifications are regarded in the industry and what's the difference between the two?

As a graduate of the last year I would say that having the SCJP got me in the door for interviews for some jobs I wouldn't have been qualified for (Junior roles looking for 18 - 24 months experience). It was also noted in a positive fashion by almost every interviewer I had.

Experience is a much more important factor after a couple of years but a good certification never did anyone any harm thats for sure.

BTW SCJD is quite time consuming took me ages to finish it and I am still waiting for the results almost two months later. It is very expensive too in the region of £400 sterling (unless you get your company to pay for it :D)

*EDIT* - Almost forgot the forums on www.javaranch.com are a great source of information for anything java certification related. Or indeed anything java related at all.

Advertisement