Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Net1 or Ice?

Options
  • 13-04-2007 9:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi

Ice broadband company rang me yesterday and said i can get the broadband now (Im in Stamullen, Co.Meath).
    The girl said she needs my name etc. and bank details and she will book the site survey for me.

Do u really need bank details to arrange the site survey?
    If trying something on in the shop they dont ask u 4 ur credit card number or bank details, do they?

Sounds like they want to put their hands on my money asap, even she said i wont pay anything until i have everything running ok.
    what do u think?

Then there is Net1, hard to get thru but heard they good.

Ice offers 3mb&1mb upload,
    contenion 36:1
    37.99/month
    (pay 3 months in advance and get installation free but then u have to sign signed contarct 4 24 months)

Net1 - 2.2mb& dont know the upload ,
    contenion 15:1
    47.00/month
    (pay 12month in advance and get 6 months and installation free)

Want to get broadband suitable for a bit of gaming online, skype and P2P
    Any suggestions which would be the best?
    Are u a customer of Net1 or Ice by any chance?
    Would like to hear what do u think

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Tell them to go and jump off some where high when it comes to the bank details!!!!!! Reputable companies should not behave like that. As a matter of interest did you check that the caller was actually from Ice?

Friends of mine in Collon have Net1 and its pretty good sadly the remaining Ice may have melted by the time you actually get any response from them. (prospective) Customer contact seems to be an alien concept for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

It would be normal to give bank details when ordering broadband. If it cannot be installed for you nothing will be charged. Why should they call every customer back to get their bank details?

kc66 wrote:
    It would be normal to give bank details when ordering broadband. If it cannot be installed for you nothing will be charged. Why should they call every customer back to get their bank details?

In this case he wasn't ordering they had not even done a site survey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭maly07@poczta.o

kc66 wrote:

I just wanted to see if i can get it, then i can think about it, compare with other providers and would ring them back to go ahead and provide my bank details.

The guy i was talking to today said:
    "The enginner comes with the intention to install the broadband"

cool, but it seems like they really pushing for it

when i said what about if the site wont be suitable for it, he said my bank details will be destroyed, scrapped.

I dont know, maybe im a bit paranoid just dont want to get a surprise later on when suddenly my account will be debited and will have to spend 2 months on ringing, emailing to get my money back.

I think i'll go ahead with Net1, if i can get thru to them before Ice melts!:D

Anyway thanks for replies

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It's expensive to to a site survey. All companies I know of will only do a signal test if you have actually ordered. Some companies they actually almost do the install, and if a good signal, then complete the install.

If you can't get a signal then there is no charge.

So except for DSL, if you want to know can you get the Broadband, you need to order it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

Then there is Net1, hard to get thru .

theres the understatmen t of the centary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 aislingw

Mediasat want to charge me 200 euro to do a site survey for satellite - I have tree issues and may not be able to get their system - if I can the 200 is incorporated into general installation charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭ironingbored

The reason Ice ask for bank details is because the engineer will install there and then if there's a signal, or at least this is what I was told. I was also told the reciever is worth a couple of hundred euro which is again why they want a guarantee by asking for the details.

The reason Ice ask for bank details is because the engineer will install there and then if there's a signal, or at least this is what I was told. I was also told the reciever is worth a couple of hundred euro which is again why they want a guarantee by asking for the details.

Why dont they just ask for a deposit? We have all got into the habit of giving out our bank details far too easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

Its actually quite simple ..They will not conduct a site survey unless you have applied for service (by filling in the application form) if you fill in the application form you agree to their terms and conditions 12 month contract etc etc..) so they survey you and if you pass they install (not always there and then),You cannot turn around at this point and say oh ok..I'll think about it.. This is why they want the commitment..
    If you fail there is no charge to you for the survey and obviously no obligation to proceed.. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

To answer the first question, i'd avoid Net1 now. Their contention is really kicking in because a lot of the time i'm only a few times quicker than dialup. They had a very good service until recently but they have taken a nose dive imo. I'm with them nearly one year.

sirpsycho wrote:
    To answer the first question, i'd avoid Net1 now. Their contention is really kicking in because a lot of the time i'm only a few times quicker than dialup. They had a very good service until recently but they have taken a nose dive imo. I'm with them nearly one year.

Have you raised this issue with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

Yes, numerous times by phone and by letter. Still awaiting a response...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

aye.thier the worst people[not just broadband]ive ever come accross for communications.a year on, im still yet to get my line test despite ringing quite frequencly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭TCollins

sirpsycho wrote:

I would say exactly the same word for word thing about ICE too :)
    You cant use it for voip or games.
    Sometimes its even slower than dialup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

@TCollins.. What area are you in? (just interested)

Advertisement