Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit where credit is due A.I.B.

Options
  • 13-04-2007 9:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I had a bad day yesterday, someone copied my Laser Card and emptied my bank account a few days after pay day. However A.I.B's actions made it alot easier for me. The money was removed from my account in the early hours of yesterday morning in a few ATMs around the city unknown to me, however yesterday morning around 10am I recieved a call from A.i.B.s fraud centre alerting me to suspoicious activity on my account and if I had made these transactions. I replied no and the gentleman cancelled my laser and issued me a new one he also informed me to pop into my branch and fill out a fraud form. I work no where near my own branch so I went into a different branch where a girl helped me fill out the form and she popped the form over to my own branch. So this morning at 8:50 am I recieve a call from my branch (yes a call from a bank at 8:50 am) letting me know that they will resolve the issue and give me a refund of the stolen money within 10 working days however I will probably have it by the end of next week. Now I miust say that with their actions in a terrible time for me A.I.B. have gained a customer for life and I will be recommending them to anyone I know. I even heard that some banks BOI being one don't offer customers a refund on stolen money. You just don't get service like that these days anywhere. And i recieved all this service without even asking it was all at AIB own perogative.

Just some food for thought when your thinking about changing banks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

It's good to hear success storys too! Would have been a bitch to lose that money :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

how did the thief know your pin?

something similar happened to me and Ulster Bank washed thier hands...said they culprit knew my pin and thus it was my problem not theirs. Cost me 800 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

RuggieBear wrote:
    how did the thief know your pin?

something similar happened to me and Ulster Bank washed thier hands...said they culprit knew my pin and thus it was my problem not theirs. Cost me 800 euro

From what I've heard some of the "skimming" machines have built in ability to store pins entered as well as cloning card. Others use tiny cameras to record users entering pin, I've actually seen of these rigs and its obvious these guys are pros.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

SlyRax wrote:
    I even heard that some banks BOI being one don't offer customers a refund on stolen money.

Would you like to provide some evidence re the above? No sorry I doubt you can........ I can tell you for a fact that what you're is saying is a total utter lie. If you want to PM me about this fire ahead, but I wont stand by and let someone misinform people about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

stepbar wrote:
    Would you like to provide some evidence re the above? No sorry I doubt you can........ I can tell you for a fact that what you're is saying is a total utter lie. If you want to PM me about this fire ahead, but I wont stand by and let someone misinform people about this.

Don't suppose you work for BOI?? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

friend of mine had his BOI account cleared after using a santry machine which ha a skimmer installed and BOI point blank refused to refund the amount which was taken out over a few days (over €2,000)

their reasoning was exactly that , they knew your pin so therefore you must have revealed it somehow to someone and this is your responsibility

Did your friend go to the financial regulator?

I can tell you now if your card was skimmed, you are entitled to get a refund. The bank has to be very careful because the amount of attempted fraud is unreal. Your friend may have to push this one and prove his case. Unfortunatly that is what you are dealing with. It is next to impossible to provide security at every ATM in the country. The bank cant know if you are trying to rip them off. If you were smart enough and really wanted to, you could do it (rip yourself off) easy enough. If the proper procedures are followed (this is why I mentioned the Financial Regulator) then there shouldn't be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I even heard that some banks BOI being one don't offer customers a refund on stolen money.

It might be better to stick to the facts rather then wildly speculate in future. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

For those of you who don't know how skimming is done, have a look at this.

Always, always, always cover the number pad with one hand when you are entering your pin.

There are other ways to do it but they all rely on visual identification of the pin at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭SlyRax

wow there I said I "heard" that BOI didn't offer refunds and that banks are entitled to not give you a refund because it's your own fault for not gaurding your pin with more caution. Girlfriend used to work in BOI and now works in AIB. She was also talking to the guys in the fraud dept and they will not be offering refunds pretty soon (WARNING no facts here just hearsay) Sorry for not doing a full investigation and getting some documentation together before I posted about some good customer service from my bank ;) didn't think it'd cause that much offence. I fully retract that statement and promise not to post anything without hard facts. I'm just happy I'm being refunded. I always check ATMs to make sure they look ok before I use them but from now on I'll only be going to ones that are regularly used and have cameras. The only one I can think of that I think it could have been skimmed from is the one on wicklow st beside aka and across from bt, it's my own fault really. We learn from our mistakes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,167 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Didn't know banks offered refuns when PIN was used. Its a breach of the T&C to reveal the PIN to anyone or let it be revealed.

Always cover your hand!
    I can tell you now if your card was skimmed, you are entitled to get a refund.

Got a link for that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I've had similar experiences with AIB and it's also made me very loyal to the bank as BOI have provided very poor customer service a few times and I've found PTSB seem to be missing a lot of technology.

I had an unusual transaction on my account while I was in the UK. Within a very short time of the transaction my mobile rang! Local branch wondering if I expected that transaction. Turned out it was just an ATM fee levied by a private ATM in the UK, but even so they were doing their job and protecting my money!

I used my Laser/Maestro card in an ATM in Dublin. Someone else had reported that there was a skimming operation on that machine. AIB rang me moments after the transaction! Explained what had been going on at the machine (another bank's machine incidently) and said they'd already cancelled my card. They'd issue me a new one immediately and explained that I could withdraw cash over the counter or have funds sent to any other AIB account e.g. a relative / trusted friend who could withdraw it via their ATM card.

and more recently, my mobile phone company screwed me over with a multiple enormous DD. The branch simply rang up and asked "do you really want to pay this DD 3 times?"
    I said no, they said, that's fine we'll just grab back those other two transactions.

I got a call back a few hours later to confirm that the funds had been recovered!

Now that IS customer service and not just paying lip service to it as so many other financial institutions do.

I'm not trying to be an ad for AIB, but I agree credit where credit's due.

Their Customer service is on the ball!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

SlyRax wrote:
    I even heard that some banks BOI being one don't offer customers a refund on stolen money. You just don't get service like that these days anywhere.

My BOI CC was done for 1500 just after Christmas and they were very prompt in removing the charges from it.

I can tell you now if your card was skimmed, you are entitled to get a refund.

Got a link for that?

I work for BOI, I have dealt with skimming cases. If you go through the procedures the guards and ourselves have in place and allow us to investigate, you will get your money back. If you're still not happy you can take your case to the Financial Regulator. So I know. Ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

stepbar wrote:
    I work for BOI, I have dealt with skimming cases. If you go through the procedures the guards and ourselves have in place and allow us to investigate, you will get your money back. If you're still not happy you can take your case to the Financial Regulator. So I know. Ok?
    So the answer is "No, I dont have a link"

I work for God and he said you should send me all your money. Ok?
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Lionheart

stepbar wrote:

Thats very interesting!. A survey some time ago looked at all the credit card T&Cs and the Bank Ireland's T&C's stated that the customer is liable for all funds withdrawn from their account up to the time the bank are notified that something is amiss.

If fraud is proven to the banks satisfaction, then you will get a refund. Just advising the guards and the bank carrying out an investigation is not sufficient to get your money back as stepbar has stated. The customer must be able to prove that fraud has occurred. That may be difficult if not impossible in some circumstances.

Lionheart wrote:
    Thats very interesting!. A survey some time ago looked at all the credit card T&Cs and the Bank Ireland's T&C's stated that the customer is liable for all funds withdrawn from their account up to the time the bank are notified that something is amiss.

You can get card protection, however if you didnt use the card then how can you be liable? However in ever, I havent heard a case of a credit card being skimmed and so I believe its less common than ATM fraud. Maybe someone could correct me on that?

If fraud is proven to the banks satisfaction, then you will get a refund. Just advising the guards and the bank carrying out an investigation is not sufficient to get your money back as stepbar has stated. The customer must be able to prove that fraud has occurred. That may be difficult if not impossible in some circumstances.

And what other way would you suggest carrying out the investigation? Do you have any clue the amount of fraud that is perpetrated against banks? There are a lot of people out there whose full time job is to rip off the banks. Of course the banks / the guards have to be satisfied that the money was not intentionally taken. Can you imagine if this wasnt the case? Every other person would chance their arm at trying to rob the bank. And yes, if you feel that you are not happy with the procedures in place, the Financial Regulator is there to help and offer advice.
    So what I have said is true. If you are telling the truth then you have nothing to hide.

GreeBo wrote:
    So the answer is "No, I dont have a link"

I work for God and he said you should send me all your money. Ok?
    :rolleyes:

So what is your point? I'm telling people what the suitation is. If you dont believe me, TBH, I dont really care.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,167 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Well I also work for a bank and I'm questioning your statement of fact that you're 'entitled' to a refund on a skimmed card in all situtions, including where you don't tell the bank to cancel it or where the PIN was used.

Where is this entitlement coming from?

Read my msgs again. If there is no suspicion of an intentional fraud by the customer well then you are entitled to a refund. (Note I mentioned the Financial Regulator, they will make sure that this entitlement is upheld). If you are honest and upright from the start then there will not be a problem.

On your other point - its hard to notify the bank if you are not aware of the transactions. Not everybody uses online banking or checks their balance when they're at the ATM. The first time they notice is when they try to take out money and the card rejects because the a/c is empty.

You say you work in a bank so I take you should know all this? :confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement