Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What do you think of WWE's ECW?

• 13-04-2007 10:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

My opinion of it is that they need to stop sending raw and smackdown rejects to ECW such as big stiffs Lashley, Snitsky, Khalil and whoever else sucks from those shows. Lashley winning the title is a hugh slap in the face of true ECW fans. The only standouts from the WWE shows are Elijah Burke, Hardcore Holly ( I have a great deal of respect for this tough ass son of a gun), Matt Stryker ( get rid of the %@&king school teacher gimmick and start impersonating people again) and Big Show had a alright run. Stop showing #@%king Vince Mcmahon on ECW, it is just nauseating (spell?) being reminded that he is behind the extreme downfall of this once great promotion. Paul Heyman how could you do this to ECW fans and old school ECW wrestlers?!!!! Your no messiah!!!! This is $#@king BullS@$%!!!! Joey Styles what happen to that heartfelt speech he give when he quit WWE!! He's doing the same F@#$ing WWE commentary that he said he was against. I still luv him though and will also be a fan of his but please let him get his old ECW commentary skills back.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

zarks420 wrote:
    My opinion of it is that they need to stop sending raw and smackdown rejects to ECW such as big stiffs Lashley, Snitsky, Khalil and whoever else sucks from those shows. Lashley winning the title is a hugh slap in the face of true ECW fans. The only standouts from the WWE shows are Elijah Burke, Hardcore Holly ( I have a great deal of respect for this tough ass son of a gun), Matt Stryker ( get rid of the %@&king school teacher gimmick and start impersonating people again) and Big Show had a alright run. Stop showing #@%king Vince Mcmahon on ECW, it is just nauseating (spell?) being reminded that he is behind the extreme downfall of this once great promotion. Paul Heyman how could you do this to ECW fans and old school ECW wrestlers?!!!! Your no messiah!!!! This is $#@king BullS@$%!!!! Joey Styles what happen to that heartfelt speech he give when he quit WWE!! He's doing the same F@#$ing WWE commentary that he said he was against. I still luv him though and will also be a fan of his but please let him get his old ECW commentary skills back.

Yes tis pretty bad but is getting better. If you dont like it then watch ROH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭triple h

Fozzy put a message in here last week telling us to watch ecw, so i did. i loved it. It is good now, i even watched this week's show and it is good. I reckon its burke and the new breed making it a good show to watch now.

it is true what you say about joey and his speech when he left raw. It looks like that speech ( which, at the time , i thought was good) was a load of ____ and it looks like he did not even mean a word of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Brow

It's been siad Styles made up that speech himself, that noone had any input into what was to be said once he got the whole disgruntled, quitting message across. I'd say at the time he meant every word but I dont think he's the worse commentator there, despite having to adopt a WWE style.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭justbringit89

useless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

WWECW is a joke, it's an insult to the real ECW that WWE use the name

It's nothing different or unique that Raw or Smackdown, only difference it's an hour long and worse.

Lashley, Snitsky.... urrgghhh crap. New Breed are bland except Monty Brown or Marqis cor Von or whatever goofy name they've given him. CM Punk and the Originals are the only good things going for the brand

WWECW still sucks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I don't get why anyone would be so upset with it not being like the old ECW. It was widely reported before they ever started their tv show that this would be nothing like the old ECW. Vince is just using the ECW name to give credibility/publicity to a new brand. If anything, old ECW fans should be thankful that Vince holds the ECW name in some regard

As for the actual show, I don't watch it much. I'm a huge fan of Punk's, but he hasn't really been allowed to shine yet. Elijah Burke has really impressed me recently. The ECW "originals" aren't being booked to their strengths, which is something Heyman is a master of. So they end up looking average. Lashley's very bland, I really can't see him being a big star in a few years time. But if there's nothing you like about the show, just don't watch it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

ECW is probably the best of the three but it's far too short and some things on it are absolute jokes, Extreme exposee and Balls Mahony for example. If Shane O Mac actually gets involved in it after backlash or they add a second title it'd get a lot better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

Why can't people get it into their skulls...ECW as ye knew it is dead and gone.
    Live with it! Deal with it! Accept it! Whatever! Its gone!

WWE's ECW is growing, the New Breed/Originals storyline has promise and with the addition of Punk (presumably leading them now), it can only get better. Vince seems to be tring to boast ECW's ratings with his program with Lashley and I think its working. ECW is getting better and is becoming a seperate entity from ECW of old.

Snitsky has promise, there was just no room for him on RAW, so now on ECW, he is being given the chance to shine.

Long live WWECW!!

Funny that this thread was posted today, I was just reading that it's the 10th anniversary of ECW's first ppv

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Dickmcsavage

Minto wrote:
    Snitsky has promise, there was just no room for him on RAW, so now on ECW, he is being given the chance to shine.
    I have to disagree with you there. Quite simply because they made Snitsky exactly like Kane. Its ridiculous how blatantly obvious it is. Even down to way he says Snitsky on the add. Yeah they should have gotten rid of his hair and beard alright because they just looked plain stupid but dont FULLY shave his head. He should have kept somehair and at least his eye brows.

• Advertisement

I have to disagree with you there. Quite simply because they made Snitsky exactly like Kane. Its ridiculous how blatantly obvious it is. Even down to way he says Snitsky on the add. Yeah they should have gotten rid of his hair and beard alright because they just looked plain stupid but dont FULLY shave his head. He should have kept somehair and at least his eye brows.

I doesn't really matter that they are copying Kane's gimmick (sorta) IMHO. Brock Lesner got over and tbh, he was nothing more than WWE's Goldberg!

I don't mean to defend Snitsky's gimmick, I just responded to someone saying ECW is a place for RAW/SmackDown! rejects, when I think he is just being given a chance to perform.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭HorseRadish

It wasnt his fault ;)

Minto wrote:
    I doesn't really matter that they are copying Kane's gimmick (sorta) IMHO. Brock Lesner got over and tbh, he was nothing more than WWE's Goldberg!

Lesnar was a great wrestler though, Goldberg wasn't. Lesnar would have gotten over regardless of any streak, because he had talent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭triple h

Brow wrote:
    It's been siad Styles made up that speech himself, that noone had any input into what was to be said once he got the whole disgruntled, quitting message across. I'd say at the time he meant every word but I dont think he's the worse commentator there, despite having to adopt a WWE style.

if ye go to wwe.com and in the search area type --spirit squad general managers---- you will be able to see that speech again PLUS the best bit of all. the may 19th shirt match

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

I dont realy watch ECW, mainly raw os smackdown, but every time i changed the channel to ecw for a few mins, the only wrestlers i seem to see that were from the original ecw are RVD, tommy, dreamer, sabu and sandman. most other wrestlers (that were never in the original ecw) seem to have came from heat to ecw. why arn't all matches under 'extreme rules'? Personaly i think vince has turned ECW into a training ground for future raw and smackdown superstars. e.g. bobby lashley becoming ecw champ, future wwe champ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

If WWE were to actually recreate the old ECW, who would we have -

Shane Douglas who wasn't that good in the first place
    Stevie Richards above average worker
    Blue Meanie - God help us
    Nova/Simon Dean - Severly mis used by WWE
    Simon Diamond - average wrestler with an okay gimmick
    Justin Credible - about the best of who has been mentioned so far
    Steve Corino - bump monkey with no real wrestling talent
    Dudleys - have they ever been in a non gimmick match
    Lance Storm - another who was terribly used by WWE

+ the originals, who besides van Dam, cannot wrestle, and indeed, could never wrestle. Sure they could take a trash can to the head, but whoop di do.

What people seem to forget is that the origianl ECW was actually cutting edge, at a time when WWF/WCW had gimmick like Doink and Duke The Dumpster droze and Van Hammer. Chairs, tables etc were only for the announcers at this time. ECW changed that. WWF/WCW brought their own hardcore divisions in, which diluted the old ECW product.

In short, the original ECW ethos cannot work today, so the new ECW is trying somthing different. Now Im not a fan of it at all, but all of these changes were necessary, apart maybe from the extreme striptease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

zarks420 wrote:

Paul Heyman how could you do this? the answer is simple $. as to showing vince on ecw, without him you wouldn't be seeing ecw now at all. personaly i think vince is an excelent promoter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

It doesnt really appeal to me and I dont watch it much.
    Having said that I have seen some good matches on it like the one after mania that fozzy told us to watch,the new breed vs the ecw originals.Also ive seen some good matches involving randy,nitro,cm punk amongst others on it........
    However I do think that the main event picture on ECW has been a joke since it came back.Thats would be the first thing that I would change about it if I had the power to do so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

WWECW has been very unlucky. It lost it's too biggest stars in Angle and the Big Show and at the time of it's launch pushed RVD to the summit of wrestling so that the only way was down for him. It's also under some shocking direction. They have Balls Mahoney on every second week and he's a waste of space yet they have an already popular ECW and WWF star in Al Snow who they only used once, and that was for a job.

If they were to bring back Snow, and if he could get Blackman, they'd have two very popular and very credible WWF stars (who still work alongside the WWE as trainers and thus wouldn't need much of a push to wrestle there) they would gain alot more fans. But instead they make Vince champ (which I don't mind too much apart from that it's not Shane) and Push Snitsky . Buddy Jesus Christ.

But the biggest afront to ECW in my book, and I'm surprised that others have not commented on this, is that in an hour long TV show, they find the space for EXTREME?? expose. What makes them extreme. sham

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Dickmcsavage

^I completely agree on the expose thing. If I want to be entertained by that sort of thing i'll just make use of the net or some heat magzine (shut up, my mam buys it!) with some nice pictures in it. The funny thing is, they're not even co-ordinated! Its almost cringy to watch.
    Anyways my view on ECW have changed cramatically since its initial re-birth. Of course for the first few weeks I was shocked at how 'WWE' it all was. I've since gotten over that. I've come to realise that Mr. Kennedy is not the future of WWE no sir-e-bob. The future of wrestling my friends is none other than Elijah Burke. He's just as good on the mic as Kennedy and is probably just a little bit better than him in the ring. He is WWE's best kept secret.
    I also actually like Marcus Cor Von (don't know if I spelled that right). He's good on the mic and is good enough in the ring too. Loving the pounce.
    What I think ECW would benefit from right now is to re-instate the Hardcore Title exclusive to ECW with the 24/7 rules. It makes for good TV and makes perfect sense in ECW. Plus they have only 1 title so it will allow for lower carders to get a look in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

zarks420 wrote:
    Paul Heyman how could you do this to ECW fans and old school ECW wrestlers?!!!! Your no messiah!!!! This is $#@king BullS@$%!!!! Joey Styles what happen to that heartfelt speech he give when he quit WWE!! He's doing the same F@#$ing WWE commentary that he said he was against. I still luv him though and will also be a fan of his but please let him get his old ECW commentary skills back.

Simple!

Heyman - He had no choice, once bankrupcy proceedings were cleared in 2003, Vince had legal rights to everything ECW. Heyman couldn't balance his books to save his life, thats the only blame he had in the situation. Vince takes everything else. The **** you're seeing right now is Vince's product, and it was obvious that it was gonna be a third brand. Anyone that thought different is obviously not a wrestling fan, is clueless, or is living in their own sh*t and thinking it smells of roses.

Styles - That "heartfelt" speech, eventhough he wrote it himself, was merely part of the angle to resurrect WWECW. It wasn't a shoot, just like Heymans speech in 2001 before Survivor Series, it was merely to help build an angle and generate interest. And it worked, both times.

VR!

I've come to realise that Mr. Kennedy is not the future of WWE no sir-e-bob. The future of wrestling my friends is none other than Elijah Burke. He's just as good on the mic as Kennedy and is probably just a little bit better than him in the ring. He is WWE's best kept secret.
    I also actually like Marcus Cor Von (don't know if I spelled that right). He's good on the mic and is good enough in the ring too. Loving the pounce.

You left out one guy who is defiantly gonna be the future...CM Punk! He has mic skills, is over with the crowd and is great in the ring (even though he is wrestling WWE style). If he can keep his ego in check, he'll go very far.

Minto wrote:
    You left out one guy who is defiantly gonna be the future...CM Punk! He has mic skills, is over with the crowd and is great in the ring (even though he is wrestling WWE style). If he can keep his ego in check, he'll go very far.

I doubt this, mainly because Vince's love for big guys on top of his promotion. Rey Mysterio was only championed to capitalise of the heat of Eddie's passing on. You seriously think Rey would have gotten the belt had Eddie not died. Absolutely not! That was to fill the void as Eddie was pencilled to win the belt back off Batista just before his passing i believe.

CM Punk is talented, if not somewhat overrated, but he'll be midcard at best.
    VR!

I doubt this, mainly because Vince's love for big guys on top of his promotion. Rey Mysterio was only championed to capitalise of the heat of Eddie's passing on. You seriously think Rey would have gotten the belt had Eddie not died. Absolutely not! That was to fill the void as Eddie was pencilled to win the belt back off Batista just before his passing i believe.

CM Punk is talented, if not somewhat overrated, but he'll be midcard at best.
    VR!

CM Punk will be a future WWE champ, I'd almost put money on it. Vince may love big guys (maybe its cos as Triple H said, he loves cock, I dunno), but he can't go against common sense and the fans forever.

I never saw CM Punk, before ECW (exception of Cena's entrance at 'Mania 22). As soon as I'd finished watching his first match (after weeks of decent promos, I might add), I said to myself and anyone of my friends who would listen, that he's gonna be WWE champ and carry the company someday. I stand by that statement to this day.

If Punk sticks with WWE, he'll be a champ someday. He's just brilliant. Elijah Burke is very impressive, but I've seen Punk deliver amazing matches and promos already, with Burke it's mainly potential I've seen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Brow

They rushed the whole Burke/Punk thing though I think. Punk and the New BReed could have lasted longer than two weeks to really escalate things. It's in the writers hands how both Burke and Punk progress in a way. Given a few more weeks of teasing turns there would have been more of a buzz for these two to lock up.

Yeah but Vince doesn't give a rats ass about his fans, and common sense was never his best friend given his history with trying to set up a bodybuilding and football league.

Vince knows what makes him money, and trust me, Punk won't be one of em.
    VR!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

WWECW sucks. In the beginning, I was happy, I wasnt saying '' I want hardcore wrestling'' I was happy with people like Striker, Punk, Moore, Little Guido, Toney Mamaluke and others who can wrestle on the roster. I thought ecw was going to showcase good wrestling for 1 hour, forgetting size and just a wrestling match, but no they put the title on lashley!!! I recall a great match between richards and punk in the start but suddenly that just ended. Even though I was hating ECW lately, I could not wait for ecw 1ns at the hammerstien but no they pulled it from the schedule. Please end this waste of time vince and concentrate on raw and smackdown

Advertisement