Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dlink wireless router

• 13-04-2007 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭

Morning Gents,
    Right this is the craic. I have just bought a new Dell laptop with vista. Broadband connection with smart. Using the router supplied by smart the cable connection is perfect.
    When buying the laptop I bought a Dlink wireless router. I tried and tried to get the thing connected, with atleast 10hours on the phone with Dlink tech support, but no joy. I was to get a very slow connection through the cable, but wirelessly nothing, sometimes it would pick up a local connection but nothing external.
    The resolution was the router was fecked so they sent out a new one, same make and model.
    I tried to configure everything again but no joy, what makes things worse is the router has problems working with vista, access the routers config pages takes an age.
    Anyway, at the moment I have a router thats not worth a fart in a blizzard. I have gone through every setting available, knocked off all security, checked the SSID, bridged connections, PPPOPE all that craic but stil nothing.
    I am thinking of getting a third router but wondering if I will have the same problem.

Have any of you guys had a similar problem, somthing that should work easily does'nt, I mean its only a simple router so it should'nt take that much to configure.
    any suggestions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Wcool

Ok, I am not familiar with the Smart modem/router.
    I take it it has 1 WAN port and 4 LAN ports?

This is the general idea:

Configure the Smart router to give out DHCP addresses to it's LAN ports.
    Attach the Wireless D-Link router to a LAN port of the Smart Router.
    Configure the D-Link to accept DHCP on the WAN side (it will get it from the Smart router) and also on the LAN side (your laptop should automatically get an IP address).
    Do not use PPPoE on the D-Link.
    Just give it a try, or correct me if I misunderstood the capabilities of your Smart box. Maybe post the model numbers here anyway.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Morning Gents,
    Right this is the craic. I have just bought a new Dell laptop with vista. Broadband connection with smart. Using the router supplied by smart the cable connection is perfect.
    When buying the laptop I bought a Dlink wireless router. I tried and tried to get the thing connected, with atleast 10hours on the phone with Dlink tech support, but no joy. I was to get a very slow connection through the cable, but wirelessly nothing, sometimes it would pick up a local connection but nothing external.
    The resolution was the router was fecked so they sent out a new one, same make and model.
    I tried to configure everything again but no joy, what makes things worse is the router has problems working with vista, access the routers config pages takes an age.
    Anyway, at the moment I have a router thats not worth a fart in a blizzard. I have gone through every setting available, knocked off all security, checked the SSID, bridged connections, PPPOPE all that craic but stil nothing.
    I am thinking of getting a third router but wondering if I will have the same problem.

Have any of you guys had a similar problem, somthing that should work easily does'nt, I mean its only a simple router so it should'nt take that much to configure.
    any suggestions

Firstly have you confirmed that the wireless on the laptop is switched on and working?

Secondly there are loads of happy Smart customers using a wireless router with the Aolynk.

Try posting your issues here: http://support.smarttelecom.ie/forums/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭magic_murph

:-) I have made sure everything on the laptop side is working, I can connect to a number of hotspots.
    I have no problem buying a router that is recomended by smart but I would like to figure out why 2 consecutive dlink routers have proven to be a royal pain in the a$$

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Wcool

Have you tried an ethernet cable between laptop and d-link? just to make sure that it's not the wireless part?

Or does your d-link have no ethernet LAN ports?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

is it a vista laptop? ive heard stuff about vista not working to well with d-links products. I have a d-link g624t and its never given me a days hassle

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Is it possible to try a friends laptop with the Dlink?

Alright guys,
    Few things,
    I am running Vista, I know it has a problem with D-link routers. connecting to teh configuration page is extreamly slow, using IE 7 or the latest version of firefix, not sure why this happens, but its almost un-usable.
    I have done all the configuration on a 2nd XP laptop, this gives the same results.
    I have managed to get a connection with the ethernet cable.
    Once connected the connection speed is 100% but slows down after 2-3 minutes to an un-usable speed, no idea why that happens.
    If I was able to get a wireless connection on the XP laptop I would be happy to buy a new router to work with Vista.
    It just doesnt make sence. I have gone though every variation of config, but nothing seems to work.

Oh the router is a d-link g624t, Bambi, is there any way you could share your config settings, could be worth a try?

Im using the dlink with XP not vista, so i'm not sure that my config will be of much use.

I read somewhere (edit :here) that vista is having problems with the way some routers (including d-links) handle newer security features. Could be that?

cheers Bambi,
    I also have an XP machine that is suffering the same problem.
    I will try and disable the SPI and see if that changes anything. If not then I guess its out to the shop for a new and 3rd router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭DemoniK

Try changing the beacon interval in the wireless settings to 100ms or so.

Had similar problems on one laptop with XP SP2 and changing beacon interval to sub 200ms seemed to cure it.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that RickiD, but I dont think that would solve the problem.
    When Connected wirelessly I fail to receive an IP addressm change the transmit rate not help this, well I ont think so.
    I am at the stage where I will try anything, feck while I am at it I might just cover the thing in cheese and put it under the toaster, it wont make things worse thats for sure.
    Going to give t 2 hours this evening then after that it going in the bin.

reet, wan settings attached FWIW. They're pretty much the defaults i think

Cheers for that.
    I have resorted to reseting everything back to default.
    I will try those settings and route the wireless router though the working smart router.
    If that fails then I will just buy a new one tomorrow.

Can anybody on here recommend a good wirelesss router that definetly works with Vista?

Cheers for everybodys input

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭DemoniK

My bad - thought you actually had IP from Smart.

Check settings as per Bambi's post, and also check the ADSL stats for SNR and attenuation. And finally check out the modulation type under Advanced->ADSL. It should be multi-mode.
    The Dlink is pretty good at working in slow rates, but it can still be difficult if it's not getting a good signal

Reading back above it seems you have general problems getting good rates from the config pages - what happens if you do a factory reset (via pin in the back)? Is it fast until you add all the configuration entries?
    Have you tried updating the firmware at any point?

A really good source of help is here http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/dlink

Cheers for that, that page seems to have a lot of info.
    I done a factory reset this evening, still on joy on both an XP & Vista machine. I would normally think its the device thats fecked buy this is the 2nd router I have received form D-Link so that chances of both being fecked is very slim.

I think I will just get a new one tomorrow, one that I know works.
    If I get things sorted there will be two free D-Link routers going to the first person that can answer the following question.
    Where did I leave my mobile, I cant find the fecking thing.

Anyway the problem I am having seems to complicated to make sence, it should'nt be this tough to get a simple router sorted out

Advertisement