Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

birds flying into window

• 13-04-2007 10:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 312 ✭✭

Hi all, I have a bird table in the back garden which constantly attracts birds, mainly finches, bluetits and the occasional robin.
    The problem is, on a number of occasions I've come home from work to find a dead bird beside the door - glass sliding doors to the garden. They have obviously not seen the glass and flown straight into them.
    There was one time when I was there when it happened, and apart from giving me the fright of my life, the little bird didn't die, and I was able to slowly nurse it back to health, so that it flew off by the end of the day.
    Anyway, has anybody got any suggestions on how I can stop this happening?
    Are there any kind of window decorations or something that I can buy to deter the birds?
    Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You can use tape to make patterns on the door.
    Or hang decorations, windchimes etc on the outside.
    You can also have a drapery behind it that you close when not at home. It'll then look like a wall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭amerden

I concur with "biko", I have a bird table close to our kitchen window and had the same problem until I put up some wind chimes, it now only happens very occasionally and then only when our resident Sparrow Hawk approaches from a certain direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

I had this problem too. I finally put curtains on the door which stopped the mirror effect. The odd pigeon still whacks into it but they always appear unhurt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

There are silhouettes of sparrowhawks, owls etc available which can be placed on windows or glass doors, just for this purpose. A google should find a supplier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

There are silhouettes of sparrowhawks, owls etc available which can be placed on windows or glass doors, just for this purpose. A google should find a supplier.

Birdwatch Ireland sell them on line if you want to give them a try:
    http://shop.birdwatchireland.ie/birdwatchireland/product_info.php?cPath=25_30&products_id=114

TBH I imagine that hawk silhouettes would frighten away or at least disturb visiting birds. You can also get silhouettes of ordinary birds, and I'd say as biko said that any pattern that breaks up the reflection should be enough to give the birds the message.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 312 ✭✭Lynfo

Thanks guys, appreciate the help. I've invested in some silhouettes for the glass doors & a windchime which i'll be putting u today. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭King.Penguin

Good to hear. Any kind of stickers on the windows/doors should deter birds from crashing into them. As well as children running through them unaware.

Advertisement