Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bundoran surf, what's it like?

Options
  • 13-04-2007 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭

I think I'll try Bundoran this weekend, I've heard it mentioned quite a few times but what is it like for beginners?
    The webcam doesn't make it out to be too big, is there more to it than this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Thats the peak in Bundoran.
    Not for beginners, or even improving surfers. Its a reef break that doesn't look too big there, but can get very heavy and big.

What you want is Tullan strand, in Bundoran.
    This weekend will be tanking with waves 4-6ft there.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭learnerplates

Ah yeah now we're talkin
    http://www.beachwizard.com/beach.asp?country=Ireland&beachid=2100

Yeah the reports look good all over.

Anyone headin to Lahinch this eve, tide should be alright after 5 I hope!

Thanks for the info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Tullan is a great beach but be careful of the rips at the south end of the beach. The main peak isn't really suitable for beginners, especially at low tide but the rest of the beach should be fine. If you're looking for something a bit easier than Tullan head to Rossnowlagh which should be a bit smaller and easier.

Also note that on the Bundoran webcam when they say 2-3ft they're talking about head shoulder high to slightly overhead waves.

By the map these beaches, Tullan head to Rossnowlagh, look very close to each other, is it a drive or can one walk from one beach to the other?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

No it's about a 15 minute drive, you'll need a car really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Jak

Rossnowlagh or Streedagh are definitely the better bet for beginners - although as mentioned Tullan is usually safe enough. The first two are a bit easier to get back out to the waves for though, Tullan can get a bit messy.

The peak is competitive and not really a place for beginners or improvers as mentioned - and no I don't surf it either when down that way!

And yah, as said, you always really need a car or friend with car.

Have car will travel that's no problem at all.
    Sunday me thinks I'll have a look at them.
    Any preference between Rossnowlagh or Streedagh for a beginner?

northwestsurf.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Rossnowlagh is lovely for beginners, beautiful beach and services nearby.

I'm on my way. BTW Lahinch was nice on Friday, no mess, amazing how the water has heated up in a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,986 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

I learnt on Rossnowlagh, beautiful when there is waves but have a tendiencie to miss them when Im there.

Tullan is amazing the one problem is safety, I would never surf on my own there but I would on Rossnowlagh. Plus rossnouwlagh has the added benefit of lifeguards. The rocks at the edge or Tullan can be a bit dodgy in low tide and thats my favourate break on the beach. European championships were held there back a few years, possably 95 but cant remember for sure.

If your looking for lessons there Rossnowlagh is best, there is a place there with reall nice learner boards, foam boards with epoxy bases so its got a nice smooth base but light and not as soar if you get a knock from one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement