Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Produce excel & word documents - which language???

Options
  • 13-04-2007 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭

Hey, just wondering if anybody knows which programming language would lend itself best to producing primarily excel documents and also the occasional word document. I presume that the .Net languages are the easiest way to go about this but what else? Just need something that can do it quick and easy...

Edit: Meant to say, can it be done with ease in Java?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I doubt it can be done easily with Java. Have a look at .Net and Visual Basic 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

dulpit wrote:
    Edit: Meant to say, can it be done with ease in Java?

Yes, if you get the right thid-party libraries.

BTW - consider complexity.

If you only need "simple" excel stuff, producing a CSV file may be enough. YOu can do that trivially in pretty-much any language.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

bonkey wrote:
    Yes, if you get the right thid-party libraries.

BTW - consider complexity.

If you only need "simple" excel stuff, producing a CSV file may be enough. YOu can do that trivially in pretty-much any language.

Any tips as to which third-part library? And the excel being produced isn't too complex, but could get quite big... It's to be integrated into a bigger programs so i'll need some language of some sort...

TBH i'd prefer Java if possible, it's what i'm most familiar with etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

vba

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

There's no shortage of Java stuff for Excel, tbh. I didn't go for mentioning any because, well, I've only had to use one....which someone else had picked and which is payware.

I'd suggest a good place to start is here :

http://www.rgagnon.com/javadetails/java-0516.html

If freeware and/or any of the "simple" solutions will do you, then go for it.

If payware, then I wouldn't like to suggest one product is better or more suited then another, but you could do worse than looking at apose. They have the advantage of offering a whole range of stuff, so you can use one suite for a load of different things if needs be.

• Advertisement
Advertisement