Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiles on bathroom Panel

Options
  • 13-04-2007 11:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

HI everyone. Does anyone know the make of the tiles used on the panels hiding the toilet cistern and sink pipes in the bathroom of Charlesland Wood?. We had to get in at the pipe because it was blocked and the only way was to remove some of the panelling (breaking tiles). Pain in the neck. Worst designed bathroom!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

You could try contacting Ballymore and asking for the name of the Tiling Company (from Carlow, iirc) that did the work.

Another alternative is to re-tile and try to salvage as many original tiles as you can, thereby making a killing when a neighbour encounters a similar problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Jingle

It was S & L Tiling from Carlow that were the tilers for Ballymore.

I don't have the contact number but the lady we dealt with was called Peggy - ring Ballymore HQ and they'll give you the number.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Yep it was S & L Tiling alright...can't find them in the phone book...will have a look for reciept for extra work done in my home.

Not sure if it is easy to match up tiles...that line of tile might be discontinued and a similar tile is now being sold. So they could be different and noticeable. If you aren't too busy on the weekend have a look in BTWs on theBoghall Road in Bray. They might have something there (ask for a sampl tile) By the way, are they the white matt tiles??

An option you might consider is doing a nice panel in timber - New apartments tend to use a veneered timber panel with nice edge beading. This panel would only be small (about a ft by a ft). The main reason for doing it is obviously because of this problem getting access quickly with no mess.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭audreyp

I'm resurrecting a very old thread!

Our bathroom in Charlesland Wood is driving us mad. I'm not sure if all the houses are the same but our toilet and sink are tiled in. Our handle on our loo is getting looser and looser and one day it will just stop working.

We have mould on the ceiling and no matter what we do it keeps coming back! We hate the tiles (we bought the house from another couple) and the annoying cabinet that drops something on my head everytime i open it. (That may be my fault for over packing it!)

And our radiator appears to be sinking... The left hand side is significantly lower, no idea what is happening there.

Basically we want someone to come in, rip it all out and start again. Has anyone done this? Any recommendations of builders and plumbers. Would like someone to do the whole thing, supply and fit.

Any suggestions/advice would be very welcome,

you definitely need a one stop shop bathroom re-fit company - try www.icebathrooms.com. Top quality work!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

audreyp wrote: »
    I'm resurrecting a very old thread!

Our bathroom in Charlesland Wood is driving us mad. I'm not sure if all the houses are the same but our toilet and sink are tiled in. Our handle on our loo is getting looser and looser and one day it will just stop working.

We have mould on the ceiling and no matter what we do it keeps coming back! We hate the tiles (we bought the house from another couple) and the annoying cabinet that drops something on my head everytime i open it. (That may be my fault for over packing it!)

And our radiator appears to be sinking... The left hand side is significantly lower, no idea what is happening there.

Basically we want someone to come in, rip it all out and start again. Has anyone done this? Any recommendations of builders and plumbers. Would like someone to do the whole thing, supply and fit.

Any suggestions/advice would be very welcome,
    hi we live in the woods.i had mouldy celings til i got up into the attic and discovered the outlet fan was blocked havnt had any problems since sorting this.also had same problem with toilet /sink access .now have removeable tyled access panel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 niamhj

Hi,

The handle of on toilet have finally given up and needs replacing - the main problem is that the cistern is conceled / tiled away. ( charlesland )

Can anybody recemmond a handyman for fix this for me. Tiles will need to be replaced after...

Please pm me any nembers / email address

Thanks

Niamh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 niamhj

Maudi wrote: »
    hi we live in the woods.i had mouldy celings til i got up into the attic and discovered the outlet fan was blocked havnt had any problems since sorting this.also had same problem with toilet /sink access .now have removeable tyled access panel.

Hi Maudi,

Who did you use to fix this problem - flush handle given up ( cistern tiled away ) ....

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭FirstIn

If you look at the tiles on the horizontal service above the cistern you will see that a number of them have a silicon sealant and not grouting. Cut the sealant with a sharp knife and you will then be able to lift out the tiles attached to a wooden board. You can then get in and fix the handle.

I know some of them had this but our toilet was completely tiled in fully. No access at all. We got a new bathroom re-fit and its fab. So happy with it. There wasn't any moisture proofing in the bathroom at all. They were all built so badly :-/

• Advertisement

audreyp wrote: »
    I know some of them had this but our toilet was completely tiled in fully. No access at all. We got a new bathroom re-fit and its fab. So happy with it. There wasn't any moisture proofing in the bathroom at all. They were all built so badly :-/

Ah come on, not all of them! For a person buying a new house if a building surveyor was employed to snag the house, then maybe these would have been picked up!

As FirstIn says, grab a sharp knife and cut the silicone - be careful not to cut/scratch the surrounding tiles - you might need to leave the panel off till you get whatever parts you need. Of course, if you need a handyman, there's plenty on the sticky thread. I think Fred Mohr on the list is always around working on various jobs. Haven't used him myself but others on here have and can recommend....

We didn't buy a new house. And all of them were.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

astrofluff wrote: »
    Ah come on, not all of them! For a person buying a new house if a building surveyor was employed to snag the house, then maybe these would have been picked up!
    I have carried out electrical work in quite a number of houses in Charlesland including several attic conversions. This provided me with a good insight as to how well they were built.

The standard of electrical work I saw ranged from average and basic at best, to poor and against regulations at worst.

In my opinion the standard of workmanship (especially plumbing) isn't great. I have the same view about many other estates built during the celtic tiger years.

2011 wrote: »
    ...ranged from average and basic at best

You won't get 'excellent' in anyone's work if it's being criticised by someone else in the same profession! So average will do, therefore, not all of them :D - without running off topic too much, we all know there has been some shocking threads on here, FirstIn's last thread is a good example. What we only hear on boards.ie is the negative aspects of the houses, but you'll only hear about those when someone has a problem such as this for the OP. You're gonna get a heap of these thread, it doesn't mean it's a problem in every house.

/rant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭.243

it doesn't mean it's a problem in every house.
    /rant

probably not,but for a housing estate of that size that was erected in the time it was done its more than likely there has been at least one problem of some sort in every house

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

@ Astrofluff: I gave a professional opinion, it was not intended as a personal insult.

not taken personally at all - at least the discussions are constructive the majority of the time!

@.243 - you are right, as well as you would be lucky to see any property 100% compliant with building regulations - there will always be some deficiency somewhere for some reason or another. :rolleyes:

not taken personally at all
    Glad to hear it, I was just speaking from first hand experience.

Advertisement