Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

16' or 18' alloys on bmw?

Options
  • 13-04-2007 11:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭

Any thoughts on which looks better - 16 inch or 18 inch alloys on a 3 series

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

Post a pic of the car. IMO 18's on a 3 series with no other mods or bodykit look a bit daft, otherwise definitely 18's.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Why not settle for a good compromise - 17" ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭O7Pat

bazz26 wrote:
    Why not settle for a good compromise - 17" ?

Have 16" on it at the minute, it needs tyres so wondering will I go the whole hog and get the m3 lookalike 18" alloys.

Gatster - at moment has no other mods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

18's would look great. but the tyres are very expensive. Could you settle for 17's ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Tony Danza

I'm quite partial to these rims myself.

Although I do also like the m3 rims, but think they should be kept for 325 and above, or something like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

18" wheels might look a bit out of place on a 3 Series without the M-Tech body kit. You would probably have to fit lowered springs too otherwise the car may sit too high on them.

I still think 17" with a lower profile tyre would suit it better imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

18" on my 323 coupe (lower than the saloon)

DSC00761.JPG

i wouldnt get m3 lookalike wheels, get some mtec ones like mine mv2s, or mv1s or the other ones linked in 17 also look good

ps my coop is a non mtec :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

O7Pat wrote:
    Any thoughts on which looks better - 16 inch or 18 inch alloys on a 3 series
    Depends on your social class, I suppose.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,766 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Cyrus wrote:
    18" on my 323 coupe (lower than the saloon)

DSC00761.JPG

i wouldnt get m3 lookalike wheels, get some mtec ones like mine mv2s, or mv1s or the other ones linked in 17 also look good

ps my coop is a non mtec :)
    tis a nice looking car - i'll give you 13k for it:D

you did a very nice job on the sale prep - 18"'s loog good on it too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Spyder_race.jpg
    Fuel%206%20Silver%20FFM%20(right).jpg
    Nirvana.jpg
    KOCHI_HB.jpg

I think all these aftermarkey rims would look the badgers nadgers on the car tbfh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I would go for the MV2s myself. They definitely look the nicest. The replica rims are not as good quality as the OEM wheels though, bear that in mind. Also I am not a fan of the aftermarket Halfords type rims above. They just look wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Gatster wrote:
    Post a pic of the car. IMO 18's on a 3 series with no other mods or bodykit look a bit daft, otherwise definitely 18's.

I have to agree 100% with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I would go for the MV2s myself. They definitely look the nicest. The replica rims are not as good quality as the OEM wheels though, bear that in mind. Also I am not a fan of the aftermarket Halfords type rims above. They just look wrong.

I have 18" MV2 reps on my car, the only change I made was to put some Eibach lowering springs on it - I wouldn't agree with Gatser that it looks daft, though the gap in the wheel arch was too big before the springs.

The wheel arches on the e46 (is it an e46 3 series OP?) seem quite big, and it takes big wheels to fill them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

My old 323i with E39 M5 18's...

Lowering is the sort of thing I meant, I see loads of relatively basic 3 series with just big wheels on them, I just think it looks naff, but lowering shows you actually thought about it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

For E36, E46 I think 17 inchers look best. Dont like 18s on the E36.

Advertisement