Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going straight on at roundabouts when indicating right

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

DRakE wrote:
    Bicycle.

Only if your the type of cyclist that actually obeys traffic lights, a rare breed here.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

padi89 wrote:
    Only if your the type of cyclist that actually obeys traffic lights, a rare breed here.
    Or the kind who goes for the ever decreasing gap up the inside of a car on a square junction. Lycra clad morons.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭learnerplates

And what about the 2 lane roundabout into a single lane exit!

I'm not completely sure on the rules here but I think that cars in both lanes have the right to single lane exit. I've noticed in Galway only (maybe it's because Galway has more of these than other towns), most roundabouts are 2 lane and nearly all roads are single lane.. if you're in the inner lane of the roundabout and there's a car in the outer lane...both cars are exiting at the same exit, one car must give way to the other, usually the car that's further back ..but I've noticed drivers here give the surprised/Durty look when they finally spot someone on their inside and rarely give way to any car regardless of position.

This manouvre is perfectly legal I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

If you're in the right hand lane taking the exit, you're meant to check your mirrors, then take a glance over your left shoulder for the blindspot to see nobody's coming up behind you into that single lane. You've the right of way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

the roundabout by moneen/huntsman is a classic if your coming down the hill from bohermore,headin out the dublin rd. its pure who flinches first.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 HappyLady

It's really not that difficult of a task, driving roundabouts. I get so irritated at people who can't and don't signal their intended direction. Although I've been driving for 30 years in the states, having moved here to Ireland a year ago, I have had to study the Irish Driving Test. The explanation is very clear as to when and how to travel a roundabout, and when and where to signal. It's not rocket science. What gets under my skin as much as the wrong signaler, are the ones who are afraid to speed up coming out of the roundabout. Nothing worse than exiting onto the dual carraigeway, and be crawling up someone's boot...because they don't know what excelleration is.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

HappyLady wrote:
    ...because they don't know what excelleration is.:)
    Did you mean "acceleration"? Sorry, had to be done ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

witnessed another variation of the theme yesterday - The Terryland Roundabout near the Mariott - coming from the dual carriageway, some idiot (L plates, on her own, blond, no older than 20...) kept indicating left as if to turn into the estate (towards Galway Bay FM), and then went straight through the roundabout without indicating, switched lanes 3 times between Dunnes and the Tesco roundabout, went in the left hand lane as if to turn into Sean Mulvay road, indicated right, crossed three lanes, indicated left as if to turn onto the Bridge, and then decided to go back in the direction of Dunnes...

Great piece of driving...:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Aura

galah wrote:
    (L plates, on her own, blond, no older than 20...)

Surely you too were a learner driver at some stage. Admittedly it is a somewhat questionable tradition in this country for learner drivers to be let out on the road after only a few lessons, if any at all, and prior to any form of practical testing. Granted we are meant to be accompanied by a fully licensed driver but in fairness this is widely unadhered to and how most people take their tentative first steps in learning to drive.

ehm, actually, no. I have enjoyed a thorough proper driver education in Germany (pricey, but worth it), where you are NOT let out on the road without supervision by an approved driving instructor in a car modified for driving instructions. ANd you have to do ( I think) at least 22 driving lessons (including night driving, motorway, country roads, etcetc), PLUS theory lessons - so once you actually get your license, you are more or less fully prepared...

And apart from that - if you don't know what you're doing, can't manage to stay in one lane, indicate incorrectly, and do all sorts of other cr*p on the road, endangering other drivers in the process, you have absolutely no right to be on the road, in a car, on your own. Full stop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Poppy84

I have lived in galway now for nearly 12 months and the sheer frustration with all of the points made above has developed a level of road rage I never thought imaginable.
    I have driven on most of the big cities in Ireland and i can tell you there is not one that comes close to the crazy driving seen here. My poor sister who drives around dublin on a daily basis was nearly in tears by the time i met her in tescos since then she's taken the train from Dublin.

The roundabout that drives me mad most is the one over at westside at the back of the hospital thats just crazy at 6 in the evenin cars coming from every direction though the one at tesco is just as bad people just cant follow the lanes. Nearly everyday you will see some form of accident no matter how minor.....its a wonder why this problem is ignored by the traffic cor

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Aura

galah wrote:
    ehm, actually, no. I have enjoyed a thorough proper driver education in Germany (pricey, but worth it), where you are NOT let out on the road without supervision by an approved driving instructor in a car modified for driving instructions. ANd you have to do ( I think) at least 22 driving lessons (including night driving, motorway, country roads, etcetc), PLUS theory lessons - so once you actually get your license, you are more or less fully prepared...

And apart from that - if you don't know what you're doing, can't manage to stay in one lane, indicate incorrectly, and do all sorts of other cr*p on the road, endangering other drivers in the process, you have absolutely no right to be on the road, in a car, on your own. Full stop.

I did not question your driving experience but your compassion for those learning. Yes the German system with which I am also familiar is far better and safer and as I posted the current Irish system is indeed questionable. Perhaps it would better serve all road-users to discuss this rather than commenting on hair colour, gender and age.

Ich wuensche Ihnen eine angenehme Reise.

A.

sorry if I have offended all blonde, 20 year old females with L-plates who can't drive ...and while I have a lot of compassion for people learning, I have a problem tolerating people who endager others by their careless driving...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

galah wrote:
    sorry if I have offended all blonde, 20 year old females with L-plates who can't drive ...
    You do realise that means you've offended the entire Peugeot 206 driving population around these parts?

I do...

Advertisement