Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ok i got 30 PerCent In Pass Irish In the Mock!!

Options
  • 13-04-2007 12:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭

As i said i got 30 percent in Ordinary Level Irish In the Mocks !!! Have my orals next next week and i hardly know anything !!! Do i fail the whole leaving cert if i fail Irish??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

Yeah, you do.

Do ye have to do the sliochts in ordinary? If ye do, learn them off cause they're a handy 30 marks. Then just learn phrases about yerself, yer family and a hobby. Keep yer studying fairly simple to try and get the pass in the oral.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Look, the mocks aren't worth a shite. Don't fret about them. They mark them very hard so you will study harder. I got a d in pass Irish in my leaving, but did well in the other subjects.

I personally don't like the way languages are taught in schools in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Your Man

dont learn the sliochts off just know how to read them fluently, there not the hard like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭justbringit89

Yeah But What About The Actual Leaving Cert ?? I so scared about failing Irish !! I Got 320 (Aprat from from failing irish and assuming i will get 70 in LCVP) for mocks

Your Man wrote:
    dont learn the sliochts off just know how to read them fluently, there not the hard like
    Yeah, the sliochts're a piece of piss. Well, the ones we've to learn anyway're handy.

Just learn basic phrases about you, your familia, your hobbies and try and throw in the odd funny remark to ease yer nerves. That's presuming that the examiner at least chuckles a bit, if he doesn't yer up **** creek without a paddle.

• Advertisement

i wouldnt be familiar with the pass course tbh but your irish will improve if you read as much irish as you can, and try and translate stuff in your head into irish around the days of the exam, works for me anyway, or you could take the lazy way out and learn **** off by heart

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

If youre really really worried and you really really feel that youre not able for pass i suppose you could do bunleibheal although that will limit your oppurtunities in terms of what courses you can do and places you can attend. However this would definitely be a last resort. The only thing to do is try to speak as much irish as possible ,learn the sliochts and know the basic subjects like you, your family,your area,your school, your hobbies and future careers.

If youre really really worried and you really really feel that youre not able for pass i suppose you could do bunleibheal although that will limit your oppurtunities in terms of what courses you can do and places you can attend. However this would definitely be a last resort. The only thing to do is try to speak as much irish as possible ,learn the sliochts and know the basic subjects like you, your family,your area,your school, your hobbies and future careers.

yeah its not an option for DCU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

study honestly, put in an honest effort and there's no way you'll fail OL, even if you get a D3 that's enough... they won't fail you in the oral if they can see you've put in a little effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Do you really fail the whole leaving cert if you fail Irish? Never heard that before O_o

Have you applied for any PLC courses? If you have, you can probably afford to do Foundation.

• Advertisement

no i dont want to do plc !! i want to do computer applications in dcu

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

It's not very far from a pass, you could definitely pass in the actual if you do a bit of work, not even loads.

In the oral, you can steer the conversation to what YOU want to talk about. Because you're pass, they won't hate you if you keep saying you've no interest in that topic.

http://www.dcu.ie/prospective/deginfo.php?classname=CA&mode=full

this is the course !! will i still qualify for the course if i fail french!

http://www.dcu.ie/prospective/deginfo.php?classname=CA&mode=full

this is the course !! will i still qualify for the course if i fail french!
    Dublin City University. You need a third language for all Universities I think..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Andeh

Wait wait wait.

You fail the LC if you fail Irish?
    If yes, thats crazy.

Dublin City University. You need a third language for all Universities I think..
    are you sure there is no mention of it on the web ?? does anyone know the answer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

Teipeann tú an Árdteist má theipeann ort sa Bhéarla?

Má 'sea, sin craiceáilte!

emmmmmmmm WHAT ??lol

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Andeh wrote:
    Wait wait wait.

You fail the LC if you fail Irish?
    If yes, thats crazy.
    No you don't.

You need to pass 3 languages (usually Eng, Irish, German/French/Spanish) to get into most universities (excluding TCD which only requires 2).

ITs usually stipulate very broad entry requirements such as a D3 in 5 subjects and if you fail Irish you are still eligable to matriculate for courses where there is not a minimum requirement for Irish. Minimum requirements are detailed on http://www.qualifax.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

To pass and obtain the leaving certificate you have to pass any 5 subjects at any level.

Long gone are the days that you have to pass Irish.( That was 20, 30 years ago.)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Not TCD.
    Karlusss wrote:
    Teipeann tú an Árdteist má theipeann ort sa Bhéarla?
    *Teipeann ORT san Ardteist....

you should fail if you fail pass imo, unless your a foreigner or have some other dispensation.

Is it not somewhat weird that you require to pass irish for data applications? In all honesty, when is irish ever going to come into that?

it is a ridiculous rule I agere, but with the ridiculously low standard of pass Irish needed to succeed nearly makes up for it, I remember in TY we had a speaker who told us he went in to his pass irish oral with three words of Irish ('madra' being one of them) and he passed....? so...

Either way, Pass or Honours, it's extremely likely that come the day of Irish Paper II we'll never speak/write a word of it again...

pfft, when is Shakespeare going to come into data apps? It's not ridiculous, it's how the leaving works, get over it.

JC 2K3 wrote:
    pfft, when is Shakespeare going to come into data apps? It's not ridiculous, it's how the leaving works, get over it.

Completely different things altogether.

Completely different things altogether.

Thank you...

JC 2K3 wrote:

Yep, said already but completely irrelevant once again.

How?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

JC 2K3 wrote:

Its the same idea. There's a lot of things we're made learn in school that we'll probably never use out in the real world. But thats the system and it ain't gonna change. Not much point griping about it.

Advertisement