Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puzzling Washing Machine Leak

Options
  • 13-04-2007 1:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

Hi

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on a leak my washing machine is experiencing. I have checked the filter and all of the hoses I could see and they all seem ok. There was initially a blockage in the drum but I managed to remove it.

My problem now is that every time the machine does a long spin it leaks.

It can do a short spin with no bother but the long spin always causes leaks. I have tried this on small and large loads and the load size doesn’t seem to matter as a small load on a long spin leaks whilst a small load on a short spin doesn’t.
    Has anyone any insights?

Thanks
    Patrick

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭patrickolee

It's probably different, but i had a leak in my dish washer which puzzled me for ages, because it seemed to happen in different circumstances. Thought it was happening because of different stages in the cycle. Everything was fine when I had the machine out in the middle of the floor to check the hoses. Turned out it was just that when I pushed the machine into place, the water cables at the back, were at a strange angle and caused a leak. Sorted it by changing the angle at which the pipe was going into the machine, i.e. twisting it around. Yours is probably a different problem but... u never know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Have you tried pulling out the machine and checking it then???

It might be the vibrations making something else leak ,water has a funny way of travelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭knighted

the washing machine prob-take off the lid of the washer ur leak is most likely at the top of the drum when on high spin the water being extracted from the cloths is getting spun up higher -tell me what model it is cause some have a small rubber hose attatched to the top of outer drum and this sometimes becomes detached if someone is working on the machine ie leaning from side to side to fiddle under neath etc -if u can let it spin with lid off and watch for leaks at top -downside is it is quite dangerous as water doesnt mix well with electricity so if ur confident have a go if not ring someone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 pats22

Lads

Thanks for the replies
    Its a zanussi zt1022- if that can help shed any light on it. From looking at it, it looks like all the hoses are at the bottom.

I currently have it sitting in the middle of the floor so I don’t think the orientation of the water removal hoses is having any part to play in it and its definitely coming out of the washing machine

Does any of that shed any more light on it
    Thanks
    pat.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭knighted

the zanussi should have a black rubber hose into the top of the green plastic drum -a type of jet system -however if u look at the drum u will see it is bolted together all the way round the middle seam behind this iss a seal which can rot and leak slightly and ur symtoms match this -it definitly coming from the upper half of the drum while on high spin -its a buggar of a job if u dont know what ur doing and would cost u in the region of 150 euros to get a repairer to do it but most wont as its time consuming -also where the powder box supplies the water to the drum its attachted by a thick rubber hose check this is secure but id say it is cause it would leak when filling -

last gasp effort could be to fill the machine with water put in a food colouring select the spin cycle let it leak and u might be able to see better where the leak is thru the coloured dye -u would have to flush the machine out good b4 washing cloths in it again though

• Advertisement

Thanks for the reply
    I have given up on it and called in the warranty cover at this stage
    Luckily it has about 2 months left on its standard warranty so good timing
    again thanks for taking the time to reply and for the suggestions
    pat

Turns out Knighted was spot on
    had a repair man out on saturday under the warranty and it was the valve at the top - looks like it had been shifted by the blockage and the water was only getting up to this height when the machine was on a high spin.

Spot of ruber glue to keep it in place and it has been fine since
    thanks again for the replies
    pat

Advertisement