Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Injured hare

• 13-04-2007 2:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭

:(

I came across a hare on the road yesterday that had obviously just been hit by a car and the poor thing had obviously spinal injuries as it was scrambling to get up into the hedge but was dragging it's back legs behind it. I stopped and thought (foolishly perhaps) that maybe if I could get it in the car I could take it to a vet and it would be put down peacefully instead of having to endure a lingering painful death. Anyway I couldn't get near it as it got spooked and it managed to get across the road but was still sruggling to get up into the hedge. The poor thing.. was there anything I could have done in that situation? Has it any chance of surviving in that condition?

And I got a really dirty look from a passing cyclist who clearly thought I was the one who'd hit it. Anyway I've got the guilt now that I should have done something but not sure what? My hubby says no.. nature will just take it's course. Cruel cruel world:(

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Bradidup

I would normally try to bring it to the nearest vet and have it put out of its misery, at the same time you have to ve very careful going near it. I got a nasty bite a fox cub that was trapped in a snare when I was a kid. Vets normally dont charge for these cases.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

oh gosh I know how you felt I came across similar a few years ago (a young rabbit) He was in the middle of the road after being hit by someone. He was trying to get away but his back was badly injured and was also dragging his back legs, poor little guy was terrified...
    I came along and seen him so I stopped and lifted him to the side of the road, where he died fairly quickly.

There was little you could have done and he would have died in a short time I am sure, as he would most likely have internal injuries.

Always be careful handling wild animals as they will bite, I was nipped by the rabbit while I was taking him off the road.

There's nothing worse than seeing a poor wild bird or animal suffering, heart wrenching doesn't describe it.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Heart wrenching indeed. I'm still thinking of the poor wee fella. If I'd been able to get near him I would've tried to take him to a vet but he was actually pretty quick on his 2 front legs and I couldn't get close at all. He just couldn't get up the embankment to get off the road. He did go to the other side of the road where the slope was down so hopefully he got to a quiet place to lie down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,635 ✭✭✭✭fits

I came across a red squirrel like that recently, bad spinal damage. (actually I'm lying, my dog did it).
    I killed him myself.. I know its brutal, but a much better option imo, than taking him out of familiar surroundings and living that extra time until the vet can do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Davidhunts

There really is very little you could have done. Even if you caught the misfortunate creature, the stress of you handling the animal and trying to move it would cause it no end of stress and from personal expierence they die as quickly from this. As your partner said Let nature takes its course and a fox or badger wont be long dispatching the creature. Also hares rarely bite but scrawl with thier legs back legs, as with any wild animal, nearly all are passive but put your paw on them and they wont like it.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

fits wrote:
    I came across a red squirrel like that recently, bad spinal damage. (actually I'm lying, my dog did it).
    I killed him myself.. I know its brutal, but a much better option imo, than taking him out of familiar surroundings and living that extra time until the vet can do it.

Yep I have to say I agree with you, better if you can finish him off as soon as you can, when he's badly hurt. An awful predicament to find yourself in though.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,635 ✭✭✭✭fits

artieanna wrote:
    Yep I have to say I agree with you, better if you can finish him off as soon as you can, when he's badly hurt. An awful predicament to find yourself in though.....

I have to say I shed a tear for the wee squirrel. He was a red one as well, I was disgusted.

Advertisement