Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

adsl without telephone question

Options
  • 13-04-2007 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

I'm moving into an apartment which has a telephone line.
    The previous occupant has just had the service disconnected from Eircom.
    I want to use the line for broadband but have no interest in having a landline.
    Is this possible?

Apologies if this question has been answered already.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

colm_r wrote:
    I'm moving into an apartment which has a telephone line.
    The previous occupant has just had the service disconnected from Eircom.
    I want to use the line for broadband but have no interest in having a landline.
    Is this possible?

Apologies if this question has been answered already.

You have to have a working and suitable telephone line to get broadband. Thats if you want dsl bb. Other options would be wireless or cable.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

ADSL (Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line) will only run over a telephone line, broadband however is a generic term for high speed internet.

So while you won't be able to get any kind of ADSL service without a phone line you should be able to get some type of broadband connection be it via cable, wireless etc

Where is your apartment located?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭colm_r

Sorry, wasn't being specific enough.

There is a phone line in the apartment, but I am not interested in using it for the telephone, just for broadband.

Having looked at Eircom's website it seems like I will have to pay line rental either way if I want ADSL.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

colm_r wrote:

Having looked at Eircom's website it seems like I will have to pay line rental either way if I want ADSL.

Indeed...welcome to the suck!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

colm_r wrote:
    it seems like I will have to pay line rental either way if I want ADSL.
    Yes you will. Eircom charge rental for the presence of an actived line, not per service that you use it for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The line rental will probably go to 28 Euro a month this year.

Advertisement