Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how much are you downloading on NTL's 6mb package

Options
  • 13-04-2007 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭

to be getting letters regarding high usage and disconnection? i tend to hit around 3gb almost daily. so thats 3 gigs a day and i never received a letter. just curious of how far i can push the daily download to. they state its only to be a gig

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I think it may depend on how many others are sharing your connection. i.e if your downloading slows down your neighbour's connection and they complain, you get a letter. Something like that. NTL don't really make it clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

to be getting letters regarding high usage and disconnection? i tend to hit around 3gb almost daily. so thats 3 gigs a day and i never received a letter. just curious of how far i can push the daily download to. they state its only to be a gig

How can you get 3gb a day when they are throttling torrents? Or are you using torrents?

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭mwrf

newsgroups, rapidshare etc, hd trailer downloads, game demos. maybe?

3GB a day is not that much tbh. a hd movie can be up 8 gigs, and thats compressed. the 40GB per month cap is laughable. If you only use your 6mb connection to browse,email youtube etc then you are wasting your money.

and 3gb using torrents can be done in a couple of hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

kin9pin wrote:
    How can you get 3gb a day when they are throttling torrents? Or are you using torrents?

its pretty easy actually. granted its not every day. a good deal of it can be from torrents, watching trailers, music, streaming videos, etc. and also my brother uses it wirelessly on his laptop. we both have download meters and i add the daily totals together

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

I went over last month, I dont know what My total was I just know I got a letter , so Im trying to cutt down now which really sucks ass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭JPA

kin9pin wrote:

I really don't think they're throttling torrents.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

JPA wrote:

Why is that? Is it mere coincidence that myself and many others have had their DC++ and torrents turn to ****e recently?

JPA wrote:

THey are without a doubt limiting torrents during certain periods of the day.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yep, my torrent speeds are definitely being throttled as well. DC++ is practically unusable and sometimes disconnects several times in a single hour. AFAIK ntl technicians have already confirmed to people over the phone that they are using traffic shaping to compensate for the several thousand new customers they brought on last year. I doubt this is a temporary measure either.

But I don't really care any more. I've had enough and am switching to Smart, just waiting for Eircom to change the line over.

does anyone know off any good bandwidth monitering software?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

i use netmeter to keep an eye on my download + upload limit totals and have it set to warn me at the 30 gig mark every month .

i don't download every day but there are days i would download around 10+ gigs easy just with one film and a few other smaller downloads.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Never noticed shaping TBH. Does encryption negate it?

Not necisarilky.#

Thanks clover, I got bandwidth moniter last night, it seems quite good. I was looking for something light on resources.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭David Michael

Interesting.....

I just thought uTorrent had just gone to sh1t since the last update/version.....

hmmmmmm......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Are you guys using the revconnect client for your DC++? Changing ports and all that? Or is it certain packets they throttle?? Im interested because i see eircom following suit.

I haven't used revconnect in a while, too many people faking folders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

hi lads

this is slightly off-topic. have they fully sorted out routing issues,
    by the look of these?
    Tracing route to boards.ie [89.234.66.107] over a maximum of 30 hops:
      1    30 ms    26 ms    21 ms  xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
      2    67 ms     9 ms    16 ms  089-101-162081.ntlworld.ie [89.101.162.81]
      3    26 ms    55 ms    10 ms  dbln-t2core-b-ge-2-1-0-0.aorta.net [213.46.165.13]
      4    37 ms    64 ms    33 ms  ie-dub02a-si1.aorta.net [213.46.165.37]
      5    97 ms    33 ms    39 ms  to-inex-dub-deg-gw.digiweb.ie [193.242.111.20]
      6    26 ms    30 ms   121 ms  89.234.66.107

Tracing route to sip.blueface.ie [194.213.29.100] over a maximum of 30 hops:
      1    19 ms   191 ms    21 ms  xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
      2    17 ms    32 ms    88 ms  089-101-162081.ntlworld.ie [89.101.162.81]
      3    14 ms    11 ms    36 ms  dbln-t2core-b-ge-2-1-0-0.aorta.net [213.46.165.13]
      4    18 ms    11 ms    16 ms  ie-dub02a-si1.aorta.net [213.46.165.37]
      5    47 ms    45 ms    30 ms  fe0-1-0.core1.hba.dub.stisp.net [193.242.111.24]
      6    21 ms    50 ms    27 ms  ge0-3-0-100.edge1.hba.dub.stisp.net [84.203.130.26]
      7   156 ms    25 ms    16 ms  84.203.138.186
      8    49 ms    25 ms    45 ms  194.213.29.100

Pinging boards.ie [89.234.66.107] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=73ms TTL=58
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=13ms TTL=58
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=58ms TTL=58
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=34ms TTL=58

Ping statistics for 89.234.66.107: Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds: Minimum = 13ms, Maximum = 73ms, Average = 44ms

Pinging sip.blueface.ie [194.213.29.100] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 194.213.29.100: bytes=32 time=60ms TTL=121
    Reply from 194.213.29.100: bytes=32 time=34ms TTL=121
    Reply from 194.213.29.100: bytes=32 time=96ms TTL=121
    Reply from 194.213.29.100: bytes=32 time=42ms TTL=121

Ping statistics for 194.213.29.100: Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds: Minimum = 34ms, Maximum = 96ms, Average = 58ms

Marty

Are you guys using the revconnect client for your DC++? Changing ports and all that? Or is it certain packets they throttle?? Im interested because i see eircom following suit.

Yeah, using revconnect. Connection timeouts 'negotiation between client and hub took too long' etc. Then downloads slowly drop to less than 1k (some uploads too, others can work ok). Downloads start off fine but drop down to slowww very quickly. Tried different ports, but all the same story.

Mart max, they have been switching around their routing a good bit. AT the moment it may be good, but that could easily change whether it be tomorrow or in two weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Kernel wrote:
    Yeah, using revconnect. Connection timeouts 'negotiation between client and hub took too long' etc. Then downloads slowly drop to less than 1k (some uploads too, others can work ok). Downloads start off fine but drop down to slowww very quickly. Tried different ports, but all the same story.

I found my uploads on revconnect slow down my downloads a lot. Anything above 20k on my 3meg connection and i slow down. Also, too many torrents running at the same time causes a system freeze.

ISP's throttling bandwith is very very ghey. I sympathise.
    Is there any email or voip port that you could use to trick the throttle? I would think that most unused ports in a certain port range are autothrottled/blacklisted. Although i wouldnt be an expert in these things by no means.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Has anyone actually asked them formally lately what their products are? :rolleyes:

In other words:

What are their contention rates?

What is their download/upload rates?

For a paying customer and a 'reputable' company it should be no problem to get an answer in writing:rolleyes:

And apart from that is there any way to check what contention rates they actually have in place?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Not really, there isn't much point since they started throttling torrents.

I found my uploads on revconnect slow down my downloads a lot. Anything above 20k on my 3meg connection and i slow down. Also, too many torrents running at the same time causes a system freeze.

Yeah, I had that problem too, but had the upload rate lowered to compensate. Was mad, just woke up one day, and my xfer rates turned bad.. and have been since. :(
    ISP's throttling bandwith is very very ghey. I sympathise.
    Is there any email or voip port that you could use to trick the throttle? I would think that most unused ports in a certain port range are autothrottled/blacklisted. Although i wouldnt be an expert in these things by no means.

I'm no expert myself Nick, but it almost seems to be that they have some kind of packet sniffing or maybe just terrible routing problems, since I've tried all kinds of different ports, reserved ports and ones well outside the normal range... always the same rates. I've noticed my MSM is also always dropping connection, but HTTP downloads are fine. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭00sully

yes these torrent problems on ntl are terrible. is there anything to do to circumvent whatever it is they are doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭garlad

Torrent downloads very bad for me, but some torrents seem to fly down.
    Got 300K/sec at the weekend for a legit torrent (1 gig), but other stuff max's out at maybe 30K/sec
    Anyone noticed this?
    Is it possible that they throttle certain trackers? Or is this even possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭nag

DU Meter Monthly Report

Period (Month)        Download          Upload   Both Directions   
    February 2007         41.53 GB        19.43 GB          60.96 GB   
    March 2007            45.58 GB        40.42 GB          86.01 GB   
    April 2007            41.03 GB        23.99 GB          65.02 GB

i only have back as far as february as i got a new pc then but ive been connected since last june (i think) and my usage has been pretty similar all along

i have gotten letters from them threatening me that i'll be cut off and what "normal" usage is (the cheeky c**ts) but nothing has happened. the first time i got the letter, i phoned them up absolutely raging and told them that unless they implement an online usage application like practically every other ISP in the country, then i wouldnt be changing my ways and told them not to contact me again about it. i also gave out stink to them about what a crap service they were offering, routing us all through the netherlands!

and oh yeah! the cust. serv. rep had the nerve to tell me that i should use DUMeter to monitor my usage so i set him straight on the inadequacies of his proposition for people on a home network (even though i do use it :giggle:) after which he gave up on me pretty fast

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

garlad wrote:
    Torrent downloads very bad for me, but some torrents seem to fly down.
    Got 300K/sec at the weekend for a legit torrent (1 gig), but other stuff max's out at maybe 30K/sec
    Anyone noticed this?
    Is it possible that they throttle certain trackers? Or is this even possible?

Doubtful that they would throttle trackers.
    However most throttling apps dont throttle based on time. They throttle based on the current percentage of bandwidth in use at that time.
    Ie. Quiet time = throttle inactive
    Busy time = throttle active.
    So it may not be a set time of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭garlad

But if kick off a torrent from a site like the fedora site, and also a tv 3pisode for example, the fedora torrent will fly down at 200-300K/sec, and the other will crawl at max 30K/sec

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Since everyone's getting into the discussion of torrents, just a light warning regarding certain content, if I sites being mentioned or hinted at their will be warnings and bans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

over 50gb last month, no letter... hmmm

getting constant 740 KB/s with newsgroups... only peasants use p2p :p

• Advertisement

Kernel wrote:

Yup, same problems here, although I use DC++ 0.401.

I've given up on torrents altogether, thankfully newsgroups haven't been effected.

Advertisement