Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

headphones

• 13-04-2007 3:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi,
    my ipod earphones keep falling out when I am running, really annoying! I was wondering if anybody could recommend a good pair?!

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭comer_97

is there a little piece of rubber that slides up and down the cable, well if you bring that up to your chin so it is tightish, the earphones don't fall out as much or ever.

of you could try a hat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭tenandtracer

geishagirl wrote:
    Hi,
    my ipod earphones keep falling out when I am running, really annoying! I was wondering if anybody could recommend a good pair?!

Thanks

Had the same problem, I use Sennheisers now.
    http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/irlstore.woa/6714043/wa/PSLID?mco=16AA7C37&nplm=TJ460&wosid=p75VzVCRUpOg2GK24IW1ZtXUBmx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

I don't want to sound like anyone's mother but just be very careful if you choose headphones that are clearly visable. It's a clear signal to potential muggers.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Marathon Man

You would want to be crazy to listen to music while running. if you run on the roads theres an increased risk of being run over and running in the fields you could easily be attacked without notice. basically one should be aware at all times while running. on at least two occassions while on a favourite road run in dublin i have had objects thrown at me, once a bottle and another time a piece of metal thrown from a car. i avoided them at the last second on both occassions. if i were listening to music theres a good chance i would have had to go to the emergency room instaed of a nice meal and shower after my runs. i know i've deviated somewhat from the initial question but you should perhaps take it as a sign that you might be better off not listening to music while running. besides when out in nature one should absorb its splendor, not dim it out with britney at full blast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,540 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I took these for a run earlier, and they were very light, comfortable, didn't budge, and didn't irritate like in-ear headphones. They have a lightly sprung over-ear arch to hold them in place. I'm sure to an audiophile they'd be rubbish, but I found them a lot more comfortable than the in-ear headphones I've been using recently, and additionally, because they're not in-ear they allow ambient noise in too, which might help with some of Marathon Man's concerns. So try a similar over-ear model (these are not made any more), maybe they'll work for you, like they did for me.

6148218-2-200-0.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭depadz

/... while on a favourite road run in dublin i have had objects thrown at me, once a bottle and another time a piece of metal thrown from a car. ...\

wouldn't suprise me if you were targeted if your attitude in the thread about marathon first timers is anything to go by..:p

have run for 20 years around various parts of dublin with headphones and never any problems..

fwedrest wrote:
    /... while on a favourite road run in dublin i have had objects thrown at me, once a bottle and another time a piece of metal thrown from a car. ...\

wouldn't suprise me if you were targeted if your attitude in the thread about marathon first timers is anything to go by..:p

have run for 20 years around various parts of dublin with headphones and never any problems..

what a pathetic response. my attitude in another thread is irrelevant to this one. i live in a rough area and it could happen to anybody, besides how would some thug in a car know about my 'attitude' as you call it. if you wish to discuss the the issue at hand fine. but such ad hominum arguments do nothing for either this thread or my esteem for you either as a slogger or as a 'human'.

fwedrest wrote:

'run' dont make me laugh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭louthandproud

'run' dont make me laugh

Probably those people throwing stuff at you, recognised you.

Probably those people throwing stuff at you, recognised you.

wouldn't have thought so as i don't associate with anyone from my locale. i was simply pointing out that one must be aware at all times. perhaps while wearing earphones things are projected at people while running and they simply aren't aware. one only has to read running magazines i.e. 'runners world' which often conducts polls to see how often a runner receives hassle from dogs, taunters and thugs. again if my attitude may have seemed harsh regarding marathon first timers please direct your angst towards that thread instead of using information i give in order to help someone in this thread against me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭donaghs

Despite Marathon Man's previous attitude to "inferior" runners, I'd have to agree with him on the safety issue.

I've jogged in many parts of Dublin, from Ballsbridge to Kilbarrack. While generally you get a larger proportion of anti-social behaviour in bad areas, you can still get it anywhere. Some well-off looking kids once threw a glass bottle out a car window at me when I was jogging beside Donnybrook Church at the top of Ailesbury Road.

I don't think I'm mellowing out on this issue though, and sometimes think I'm going to punch the next skobe who shouts abuse.

Going back to the headphones issue, I like to jog with them myself, but only wear them when I'm on a safe main road route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭louthandproud

wouldn't have thought so as i don't associate with anyone from my locale. i was simply pointing out that one must be aware at all times. perhaps while wearing earphones things are projected at people while running and they simply aren't aware. one only has to read running magazines i.e. 'runners world' which often conducts polls to see how often a runner receives hassle from dogs, taunters and thugs. again if my attitude may have seemed harsh regarding marathon first timers please direct your angst towards that thread instead of using information i give in order to help someone in this thread against me.

Okay okay, it was slightly tounge in cheek anyway, I usually run in the pheonix park or in Louth as the name suggests, I only occasionally wear earphones, I have had some idiots shouting out of their skobe mobiles in the park but never had anything thrown (that I know of ). As I am as a reasonably well built guy I am probably somewhat less likely to be attacked than say a female with smaller build etc.. So probably be best when using phoses to be very alert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I use a basic pair of Sony headphones which loop around the back of the ear, they stay well firmly in place. Bought them in Argos a few years ago for about 15 euro, money well spent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 987 ✭✭✭ekevosu

I think theres been a few good suggestions about earphones for the OP but I don't wear them myself and was just wondering what people thought the pros and cons were. I read a book a few months back advising against it. Obviously if you are in the gym it can get a bit boring probably but if you're running outdoors like I do I reckon it probably helps you concentrate on your speed / time etc when you're not distracted or do people prefer to be distracted and not think of heavy legs. Also I think a valid point was made in terms of not being able to hear things such as cars / cyclists behind you when running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭onekeaneo

Hi all,
    I had a pair of ipod earphones and had the same problem as well. Switched to the ipod in ear headphones. 30 euro in Argos and they work a treat. They stay firmly in place for the whole run. So I would really recommend them. The only thing is they cut out any background noise so you cannot hear traffic coming at all. Great for hearing music. Not so great for dodging cars. Not going to get into the debate as to whether they are a good idea or not . You are all grown adults so I will leave it up to yourself to judge.

P.S Not into slagging anyone else off here but Marathon Man, read your piece about Marathon first timers and I have to say it was a bit harsh

onekeaneo wrote:

P.S Not into slagging anyone else off here but Marathon Man, read your piece about Marathon first timers and I have to say it was a bit harsh

If you read all of the replies you would see that i myself conceded this point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Lacticmonkey

Headphones get in the way of the real benefits of running.

eh? no, my cardiovascular health and leg strength and speed don't really care if I listen to music :p

Seriously, not everyone wants to "become more in tune with nature" or whatever the non-headphone people advocate. I run to get my blood pumping, birdsong just doesn't do it for me.

Erm!!! Not sure how headphones get in the way of the real benefits of running. Getting a belt of a car, now that gets in the way of the benefits of running.
    Actually it’s been proven that some good kicking tunes programmed into your ipod for diferent stages on your run can energize people and push them on. Surly it depends on the course that you run and if you reckon it’s safe to use them. For example during the week on my short runs I tend to wear my headphones cause I know that the course I run is on a footpath and therefore the danger is limited. However during the weekend on my long runs I don’t wear them cause I will have long periods when I’m running on the road so I need to have my wits about me.

Seriously, not everyone wants to "become more in tune with nature" or whatever the non-headphone people advocate. I run to get my blood pumping, birdsong just doesn't do it for me.

Its not for the birds that I go headphoneless but more for the switchoff time. Its a personal preferences but I just couldn't listen to music when training, can't get the head clear if I do. I would listen to my IPOD before a race though.

• Advertisement

onekeaneo wrote:
    Actually it’s been proven that some good kicking tunes programmed into your ipod for diferent stages on your run can energize people and push them on. .

It seems the Lance Armstrong Nike/Ipod campaign has been working then!!!

The Nike ad is very good haven't said that, a close second to the Flora running through the forest in the snow ad.

It seems the Lance Armstrong Nike/Ipod campaign has been working then!!!

The Nike ad is very good haven't said that, a close second to the Flora running through the forest in the snow ad.

Ha ha ha very good....You watch to much telly Lacticmonkey. Maybe you should get out for a run instead...
    Seriously though like you say it’s all about personal preferences. I’m in both camps to be honest. I run in the countryside and it can be quite peaceful without the headphones, birds in the trees etc etc. But sometimes I just want to plug in and give it the big one and programming some of my favourite tunes into mu ipod does give me a boostand helps me kick on. Yes safety is an issue but in general I think a bit of common sense will see you right.
    Still don’t get your point though that headphones get in the way of the real benefits of running.

onekeaneo wrote:
    Still don’t get your point though that headphones get in the way of the real benefits of running.

As I said a long run for me is switchoff time and if I'm listening to music I'm thinking about the music and not thinking about nothing which is what I want to do when I do a long run. Even for faster training on the track if I listen to music my session would be dictated by the music and I could end up running a PB in my first rep and collapse in a heap for the remainder of the session, too pumped up and all that. Although I do listen to music when warming down because I hate warming down so much and the music does get me through it, so I suppose I'm in both camps too. Johnny Cash by the way, a great man to listen to when your are fuct and attempting to shuffle in a warmdown, don't know why but I also find him great for a hangover - hangover and post-session wreckedness are very similar I suppose. Nausea, tiredness, dehydration, wanted to lie down and just die there and then.:D

For trackwork I would not use music. need all my concentration on counting or looking at HR's or whatever. Mind you, I don't do very much speedwork;)

Yeah I can see your point I have to say. Like we both said it’s whatever your into. Whatever gets you out there I suppose. Don’t really run the track much these days as I’m training for the Marathon so I’ve been keeping on the roads. Never used my headphones on the track to be honest. To many people running at different paces, different reps. It’s more as a courtesy to them. You can’t hear them coming and I don’t want to be the reason someone else misses out on a PB or whatever.

what "the" marathon are you training for?

Sorry Dublin...

Advertisement