Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

I propose a ban on rear 'lexus lights'

Options
  • 13-04-2007 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭

A couple of weeks ago, the future missus and I were travelling on a main road in her car. Up ahead, from the opposite direction, we almost saw a rigid transport truck smack into the back of a woman poised to turn to her right (our left) in her Skoda Felicia down a side road. The truck driver managed to swerve, but went cabin-first into the hedge on the left. We passed just as impact happened, and did a U-turn to check it out.

The woman (50's) made her turn, and was on the side road verge, hurling abuse at the truck driver, who was in turn was abusing her for not indicating.

This is the funny thing. She did indicate. We saw it from the opposite direction. They were blinking normally, and not double-paced to suggest a bulb - the back one - was faulty. We also saw a car that was behind her overtake her rather dangerously as she approached her turn-off just before stopping, and before the truck was almost on top of her, and us passing by.

What we guessed was that as the sun was behind those drivers (against us), and that looking at her car, deduced that the sunlight essentially washed out the womans light actions/indicators. I have seen it before, travelling behind drivers with lexus lenses and the sun shining on them.

Eventually, everyone went on their way, no one was injured, just their prides hurt thankfully.

I call for a ban on them if they are not of a slightly deeper tint, and have brighter or omre contrasting bulbs and light power.

Seanie.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Very interesting point. I've noticed this a few times with certain brands of car. During the night-time the indicator is fine but on a bright sunny day it's not at all clear and I have to look carefully* to see whether the person is indicating or not.

*I have very good eyesight so that's not the problem. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Gwynston

The rear light clusters on the new Passat are especially bad. The indicator is a small round blob in the middle of a red circle, so when someone is braking (or has headlights on at night) the red circle almost completely masks the orange indicator part, making it very hard to see.

I think they're LEDs too, which are usually brighter, but they seem quite dull on the Passat, especially during the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I hate lexus style lights, so cheap and tacky!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

most 3rd party lexus lights are not for road legal use anyway and are for show purposes only, i do see some very poor quality lexus lights fitted to some cars and there usually not wired up correctly either.

lexus lights on a lexus work fine by the way :)

as for cars with standard lights that are hard to see the new golf is the same, i assume its the same as the new passat??

was behind one last week in the sun and couldnt see the indicater at all

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Fair eoungh if you cant see the cars indicators, but did the truck not see her braking either? Or at least wonder why she was slowing and slow down himself?

Either way, lexus lights on a car that isnt a lexus is stupid, like that astra posted in another thread with a Merc star and kompressor badge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Gwynston wrote:
    The rear light clusters on the new Passat are especially bad. The indicator is a small round blob in the middle of a red circle, so when someone is braking (or has headlights on at night) the red circle almost completely masks the orange indicator part, making it very hard to see.

I think they're LEDs too, which are usually brighter, but they seem quite dull on the Passat, especially during the day.

That design is a disgrace to good design and engineering. Yet they passed the Type Approval.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

steve06 wrote:

I agree. Hick.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

They were eye cathching in the late 90's when they were on the Altezza/IS200, but the problem is that this style of light is the only readily available alternative to standard lights.
    Also I'm guessing that the sort of people who put these lights on their car aren't into subtlety, so something which isn't immediately obviously different to standard won't fit the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Lexus style lights on anything but a Lexus (or mazda 6) scream out 1 word to me - SKANGER!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

How about a Subaru (Legacy, Impreza) or Hyundai (Trajet, Accent 3dr, Tucson) or Toyota (Prius) which fit them from factory?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Bradidup

steve06 wrote:
    Agree, they started a trend and other manufacturers are all copying them, ive also seen them for sale in boy racer shops.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Gwynston wrote:

was about to post this, they are ridiculously hard to see. I actually find them harder to see at night, especially when the driver is the type who only indicates just as they hit the brakes..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

As draffodx wrote, they work fine on a Lexus. Robbed from one of the BMW forums where someone posted a 'should I fit Lexus style lights' thread:
    If you want Lexus lights, buy a f@cking Lexus
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭ambman

while we are on the subject of lights. anybody think the reverse light on the focus hatchback is in a stupid place??

ambman wrote:
    while we are on the subject of lights. anybody think the reverse light on the focus hatchback is in a stupid place??

yep, when I had mine I was always very careful, no-one ever noticed it, down at shin level on one side is a stupid place for it. I feel the same about any car with only one reverse light though..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

colm_mcm wrote:
    How about a Subaru (Legacy, Impreza) or Hyundai (Trajet, Accent 3dr, Tucson) or Toyota (Prius) which fit them from factory?
    I think its fair enough it they're factory fitted - they're original equipment.
    Aftermarket ones fitted on a saxo, civic, etc.. just look cheap and tacky.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

I propose we have a "What shall we ban this week thread (AKA Moan of the day)". Into this we can put fog lights, Alfas, Renaults, Gardai, overtaking, fog lights, Alfas, speeding, tolls, fog lights, and whatever else people feel is wrong and unacceptable in a modern western society.
    ambman wrote:

No. It lights the edge of the footpath perfectly for parallel parking in the dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Wasn't there a rant sticky for this osrt of crap before. Where's it gone???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

maidhc wrote:
    I propose we have a "What shall we ban this week thread (AKA Moan of the day)". Into this we can put fog lights, Alfas, Renaults, Gardai, overtaking, fog lights, Alfas, speeding, tolls, fog lights, and whatever else people feel is wrong and unacceptable in a modern western society.

If that is aimed at my original post, that's abit of a low blow. This s not a "moan" thread, it is a "highlight a problem" thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Car Mad

I agree the lexus lights can be hard to see sometimes but thats down to bad quality manufacturing by differant car companys.I never had a problem seeing them and I hope it dont start now :)
    maidhc wrote:

No. It lights the edge of the footpath perfectly for parallel parking in the dark.

I like the way alfas and fog lights was done twice:D :D
    Bradidup wrote:
    Agree, they started a trend and other manufacturers are all copying them, ive also seen them for sale in boy racer shops.

This is what I hate about modern Ireland anyone with a modified car is a ''boy racer'' .
    I resent that comment I have brought a car for 7K and I am after spending 1.5k on mods already €700 on a front bumper,€300 on sideskirts (without spraying and fitting ) and another €300 on a back bumper (to be sprayed and fitted also.
    Now when I go into the ''boy racer shop'' They like to see me coming because I spend money.
    Can you honestly say to me im going to drive that car around and speed after spending that much on kits?
    Have you seen how low on the ground they are?
    If I go over 50mph I could brake the bumper and im not getting another one.
    All the people I know with modified cars stick to the speed limit because they know if the cops are there they are going to get harassed.
    Now I know there might be one or 2 that do speed and I accept that but a boy racer is not a modified car owner Its a fella that has a sh!tbox micra with an exhaust and window tints not a true car lover.
    RANT OVER

Oh yes also If you have seen them in boy racer shops why dont you F**ing leave the shop if you dont like what you see and leave us spend our money how we want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Gwynston wrote:

Agree with you on that. The rear lights on my own (02) Passat are a lot better than most I think. It's amazing how one generation later they can get it so wrong. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Seanie M wrote:
    If that is aimed at my original post, that's abit of a low blow. This s not a "moan" thread, it is a "highlight a problem" thread.

It wasn't meant to come across as being any bit personal, I apologise if it did.

I can't say I have ever had any problem dealing with lexus lights though, apart from the fact they look silly on most cars. Likewise the VW Passat has never caused me any bother. (Is it not the outside ring lights up on those, not the bit in the middle which is the brake light?)

maidhc wrote:

thats not all that they are for, and they only do one side anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭oleras

Car Mad wrote:
    I

No motorway driving for you then !! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Car Mad wrote:
    This is what I hate about modern Ireland anyone with a modified car is a ''boy racer'' .
    I resent that comment I have brought a car for 7K and I am after spending 1.5k on mods already €700 on a front bumper,€300 on sideskirts (without spraying and fitting ) and another €300 on a back bumper (to be sprayed and fitted also.
    Now when I go into the ''boy racer shop'' They like to see me coming because I spend money.
    Can you honestly say to me im going to drive that car around and speed after spending that much on kits?
    Have you seen how low on the ground they are?
    All the people I know with modified cars stick to the speed limit because they know if the cops are there they are going to get harassed.
    Now I know there might be one or 2 that do speed and I accept that but a boy racer is not a modified car owner Its a fella that has a sh!tbox micra with an exhaust and window tints not a true car lover.
    RANT OVER

Oh yes also If you have seen them in boy racer shops why dont you F**ing leave the shop if you dont like what you see and leave us spend our money how we want.

Take it easy bud, we're talking about lexus lights being hard to see and difficult to maintain. We've all seen lexus lights with the wrong bulbs in them blinding people behind.

A ban would be appropriate. Also a ban on those noisy exhausts favoured by the less intelligent boy racers, I'm sure our right honorable friend Car Mad would agree.

Advertisement