Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3 coverage in this area?

• 13-04-2007 7:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Does anyone have any idea what the coverage is like in Carrigart, Downings, Donegal?
    You see I plan to use 3 Like Home but if this area isn't covered, the deal is no use to me!

The Coverage map on the site is no use and neither is the customer service who hadn't a clue!

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

if vodafone are there (which you can preety much guarantee they are) 3 are there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Parl

1huge1 wrote:
    if vodafone are there (which you can preety much guarantee they are) 3 are there

I'm not sure about Vodafone, I only know about Orange and the Irish O2, unfortunately.
    If anyone has any idea about this, it's a great help thanks.

The 3 coverage map doesn't look too hopeful but as someone just pointed out to me, it's probably not up to date.

The Vodafone.ie website only shows 2G in that area unfortunately.

Ya then your grand because 3 uses vodafones 2G and 2.5g network
    their own network is 3G but you only need that for video calling and the internet etc

for calls and texts you can roam with 3 no problem in Carrigart, Downings, Donegal

1huge1 wrote:
    Ya then your grand because 3 uses vodafones 2G and 2.5g network
    their own network is 3G but you only need that for video calling and the internet etc

for calls and texts you can roam with 3 no problem in Carrigart, Downings, Donegal

Really? I thought if it couldn't find a 3G network then it defaults to a 2G one and then it costs you to use their service.
    Does it not work that way? Calls and messages would be great.

Does it work like that for certain? The 3 site displays a wide 2G coverage but I thought because they had no 2.5G network of their own that they didn't support that.

• Advertisement

Ya dont worry 3 use vodafones netowrk they have a deal with them
    same prices as what 3 advertise
    3 dont have a 2/2.5g network in ireland
    only calls and texts though but if your in bigger towns you weill have 3G coverage and will be able to access 3's 3G services (assuming your with 3 in the UK)

1huge1 wrote:
    Ya dont worry 3 use vodafones netowrk they have a deal with them
    same prices as what 3 advertise
    3 dont have a 2/2.5g network in ireland
    only calls and texts though but if your in bigger towns you weill have 3G coverage and will be able to access 3's 3G services (assuming your with 3 in the UK)
    Someone on another forum told that if you roam with 3 and use someone else's 2G network (whatever it defaults to) then you're charged, even with 3 Like Home.
    Have you had experience with this?

Sorry to ask so many questions and thank you for the replies.
    It's just that this would be a reason for myself and another person to switch to contracts on 3.

EDIT: Actually, here's the post:
    If you are abroad and using 3 like home you can only use you allowance on the 3 network. If your phone roams onto any other network you could end up with a hefty bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

I would not chance it if you do not have 3 coverage there. The best way to find out is to do some scans with a 3G phone, and see if the 3 network pops up.

Ya like urban weigi says make sure you actually get onto the 3 network but what I said before was correct you will be charged as stated on 3 like home
    vodafones 2.5g network is shared by 3 and its 3 who have to pay for that not the customer

I'm sorry if I confussed the situation by going into how 3 gets their coverage as that is irrevelant here, just make sure your on the 3 network which covers 99.5% of the country so you will be grand

1huge1 wrote:
    Ya like urban weigi says make sure you actually get onto the 3 network but what I said before was correct you will be charged as stated on 3 like home
    just make sure your on the 3 network which covers 99.5% of the country so you will be grand

Oh so it could be reporting 2.5G and that it is on 3 at the same time?
    That makes sense now. :)
    It's essentially working as 3, yes?

You see when I phoned I got connected to the Mumbai CS and they didn't seem to know what they were talking about i.e. they couldn't actually properly check coverage.

Thank you very much, you've made it clear now! I'll try and check now whether the network can be picked up there as you've described.

EDIT:
    To explain what I didn't understand, I thought charges would be incurred because it would not identify itself as 3 because it was not actually 3G.

• Advertisement
Advertisement