Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physics->?

Options
  • 13-04-2007 8:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭

Quick question, If you are not looking for an A1, is it possible to leave out a
    particular section of the course?

I am thinking of leaving out mechanics(minus experiments) and some Optics(fecking ray diagrams:mad:)

I intend to do Electricity as I dont have to much trouble with that entire section(which is odd considering most people hate it)in
    comparison to the Atomic physics which throws me off a little.

I think I might do applied Electricity, as even though it is longer, the stuff on bi-polar transistors as switch/amplifier and Logic gates are handy if they came up in the exam.

What do you think:D

Comments

If you're not looking for the highest marks, of course it's possible to leave out a section! Or did I not get the question?

The one problem (which I've found in my college exams) is having 'banking questions'. These are the questions that come up every year, or should come up every year.

I don't wish to jinx you, but you might be the year that they decide to put a huge emphasis on Mechanics. Or Optics. Or whatever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I never understood people finding mechanics hard, then again I hate electricity, so different strokes....

And you can indeed leave out a sectin or two if you don't want very high marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Well Mod Science will seemingly always get you 1Q, maybe even another half. and Particle Physics will always get you 1Q. Electricity will get you 1 and a half. Mechanics will get you 1Q and half.

You could certainly leave out Light but that stuff is easy. It would seem from my study of the papers they seem to throw up 1 full Q on the lesser sections as in the ones that i have not mentioned and then maybe 1 bit or 2 in the bits question.

Q5 is always a random selection though.

And the experiments always have 1 Electricity and 1 Mechanics.

I do more studying of the papers than anything else:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭sd123

See i feel really bad now because i am aiming for an A and completely leaving out electricity ( the worst part of the course in my opinion ). By the way P=IV seems to contradict V=IR in my opinion. one says that v is proportional to Current and the other says that it is inversely proportional. Sorry to get off the point but yea by all means leave out a topic or two.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Tomlowe

That's always confused me slightly as well, I think ohms law is for a voltage drop and P=VI is for potential difference... but i dont really understand that at all

• Advertisement

sd123 wrote:
    See i feel really bad now because i am aiming for an A and completely leaving out electricity ( the worst part of the course in my opinion ). By the way P=IV seems to contradict V=IR in my opinion. one says that v is proportional to Current and the other says that it is inversely proportional. Sorry to get off the point but yea by all means leave out a topic or two.:rolleyes:
    The V in V=IR is the voltage across a line, the "voltage drop", or simly "the voltage difference from one end to another". The higher the voltage drop the more energy converted to heat and therefore lost.

The V in P=IV, however, is the voltage on the line. The P in this case is the power you want to transfer from one point to another.

If you use the voltage across the line in P=IV you get the power/heat loss, I like to write this as Ploss=IV, or Ploss=I^2R.

So lets say you want to transfer a certain power, P, from A to B. The Ploss is diretly proportional to I, so you want I to be as low as possible. The P is directly proportional to the voltage on the line and I and it is a constant value(since you want to transfer a certain amount of power). Therefore the higher V across the line is the lower I will be and the lower the power loss will be.

My teacher didn't explain this to me well either, I had to research it myself, but when you grasp it it's fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Good work JC

• Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

This may be handy for some people. Lately Ive just been watching one of these lectures a day, good revision and whatnot for the leaving, saves me the whole writing stuff down! :p

http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Physics/8-02Electricity-and-MagnetismSpring2002/VideoLectures/index.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

Mit Open courseware.Good Idea. Glad to see I'm not the only one using it. The nuclear engineering materials are particularly interesting, but probably of little or no use to you in the physics exam in june. Still cool

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭cookiemonst3r

sd123 wrote:
    See i feel really bad now because i am aiming for an A and completely leaving out electricity ( the worst part of the course in my opinion )

I asked my teacher if i could leave out electricity and she told me ya if i wanted to get a C or D. so maybe leavin it out isnt the best thing

• Advertisement

i asked my teacher the same and she said that she wouldn't recommend it because although it probably wouldn't happen, theres nothing to say that 2 electricity Q'S wont come up in the experiments cos theres no set rule for it.

O really :eek: well thats great. I doubt they'd do that though. I hope they don't!

But unofficially do they not always examine one experiment form each of the four key sections. Not only that but the electricity exp. are very easy and similar, it would be like asking the same question twice!

ya every year the exps are from different areas. But you never know this could be the one year that they change it! I'm so paranoid about them changing things on the paper.

But we cannot legislate for that so no point in worrying about it! you can only answer the test they give you.

The other thing is that they're raging cos not enough people are doing phy so they're trying to make the exam easier but you'll never know what they'll do.

ya nd apparently theyre going to cut out some of the stuff on the course cos they think its too long! I think physics has a short enough course as it is.

Physics is the shortest course I do bar App Maths. I could revise the whole course in a week....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

You can easily leave electricity or mechanics out and get an A. However, learn the god damn mandatory experiments for them sections. It takes 5minutes to learn an experiment so its not worth taking the risk in section A

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭nick23

You can easily leave out one topic and still get an A (im leaving out electricity for example!) but i'd try and get a basic knowledge of some of the more fundamental elements of each section. That way you're covered for Q5 and if you're really stuck you can always give one of the questions you dont know too well a go

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Thanks for the speedy responses.
    Yeah I will probably leave out Mechanics as I find Electricity isnt too bad.

I am considering the applied Electricity as even though its longer, I think its a more interesting and relevant to my life in comparison to Particle Physics which is a little more predictable but....Boring:D
    But hey thats just me:)
    I am going to go over those section A experiments very well, as you all know its a good 30% foundation to build on.

JC 2K3 wrote:
    Physics is the shortest course I do bar App Maths. I could revise the whole course in a week....

Fair play:eek:
    That big black folens book is full of stuff that probably wont be on an LC exam so I believe you.
    I think the trick really is in the exam papers a this stage.

Not really...

Monday: Optics
    Tuesday: Mechanics
    Wednesday: Heat + Light/Sound waves
    Thursday: Electricity
    Friday: Magnetism
    Saturday: Electron/Radioactivity/Particle Physics
    Sunday: Spare day cos you mightn't get each of those topics covered in one night.

Remember mechanics comes into a lot of other questions, especially ones involving the movement of an electron. Know the main formulae anyway.

Hmmm, thats sounds manageable Considering the Physics course is indeed alot shorter than most.
    So just doing exam papers from now on in using notes as a study reference is advisable?
    Thanks for reminding me about how mechanics can pop out in other areas, I know the basics of Mechanics its just Circular motion etc I should probably....study:)

Ek = (mv^2)/2 is used quite frequently also outside the mechanics question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

I think JC 2K3 should write a concise revision book ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

and then he should eat it

I should, I really should.....

I'm working on something kinda like that. You guys'll see in a week or two, not necessarily just for physics, but, you'll see....

yea i'd love a copy of that!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Tomlowe

I heard today that I'm going to have to produce an experiments book or else not sit the exam... balls

Advertisement