Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows 2000 keeps restarting in a loop just as OS is beginning to load up.

• 13-04-2007 8:47pm

Hi all I encountered this problem with a windows 2000 professional machine. I cannot as much as even get into safe mode or any other mode. I was able to get my hands on a USB to IDE cable to backup stuff and do a complete virus check on the HDD. Low and behold it picked up the following

Trojan IRC/Backdoor.SDTBOT2.MVQ.

So I moved this to the virus vault, nevertheless I feel it may have been too late as the virus probably executed messing up a lot of system files in the folder C:\WINNT

So now I am wondering how I reinstall windows 2000.
    Would it be safe to connect the hard drive to my PC and format and thus reinstall Windows 2000 on that hard drive which is being picked up as external?

Is this the correct disc of the windows 2k operating system Attached?

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

Im no expert but ...

im unsure if that is the correct cd but i think so. To reinstall your operating system put the cd in the cd drive and restart your computer. it should automatically boot from cd. if not you may have to restart again and press del or f8/f12 to get into the bios. in there you can adjust settings to change the boot the order so that it boots from cd first. After that delete and format partitions and following the step by step instructions. You might check to see that you have all your drivers first (i learned this the hard way)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭quaidox

yeah, there is no need to use your pc to reinstall windows on the infected pc. just boot the infected pc to the cd you have as unnamed user said and reinstall from there, you will be given the option to reformat the drive during the install.

I have managed to successfully reinstall windows however have encountered a new problem. the system is only running in 16 colours, bearing in mind its running on my monitor and not the owners. i have tried reinstalling the graphics card to no avail. 16 is still the only option.

the only other thing i can think of is for the owner to get the system up and running on their monitor and install their particular monitor software.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,918 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

monitor wont help that. it's definitely a display driver problem. what card is in it?

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    monitor wont help that. it's definitely a display driver problem. what card is in it?

hi i done a belarc report which stated that no display adaptors were detected.i then did a screen shot of device manager (see attached). EDIT: neither tells me anything. I Cannot really make out which driver i have to install

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47 Bartleby

Hello tipp_Gunner,

Have you tried looking at the motherboard?

If the display adaptor is a card that slots into the mother board, you should be able to read the model on the display adaptor.

Or if the display adaptor is built into the motherboard, you may be able to find the motherboard model and deduce the display adaptor from that.

Bartleby wrote:
    Hello tipp_Gunner,

Have you tried looking at the motherboard?

If the display adaptor is a card that slots into the mother board, you should be able to read the model on the display adaptor.

Or if the display adaptor is built into the motherboard, you may be able to find the motherboard model and deduce the display adaptor from that.

Yeah the video/graphics card is an Amic a276308a-70.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47 Bartleby

Hello tipp_Gunner,

Sorry for delay, I was away.

Hopefully you've sorted the problem yourself, but if not: I had a look for win2000 drivers for that model, but no official luck.

I often use www.driverguide.com as a last resort in these cases. Sometimes the listed drivers work, sometimes they don't.

This is the only reference I found:

http://members.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=123151

If you don't want the hassle of registering with driverguide.com, I downloaded the file, checked it for virus and uploaded it here:

http://www.rarhost.com/download-ayjwzf.html
    (Download link at bottom of page)

If you are stuck, give it a go. Otherwise try a new video card.

Good luck.

Bartleby wrote:
    Hello tipp_Gunner,

Sorry for delay, I was away.

Hopefully you've sorted the problem yourself, but if not: I had a look for win2000 drivers for that model, but no official luck.

I often use www.driverguide.com as a last resort in these cases. Sometimes the listed drivers work, sometimes they don't.

This is the only reference I found:

http://members.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=123151

If you don't want the hassle of registering with driverguide.com, I downloaded the file, checked it for virus and uploaded it here:

http://www.rarhost.com/download-ayjwzf.html
    (Download link at bottom of page)

If you are stuck, give it a go. Otherwise try a new video card.

Good luck.

cheers very good of you. could not use the internet for the last few days so i could not tell you i got sorted since and i apologise for putting you thru any hassle and appreciate the trouble you may have went to. thanks to all who contributed to this topic also

D

Advertisement