Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Can a Car Be Re-registered in Another County ?

Options
  • 13-04-2007 8:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭

Can a person change the plate of their car to one from another county ?

I get a few deep looks driving a dark green Co Louth car on country roads . . .

:rolleyes:

Tak.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Bradidup

Definitally not, If it could be done im sure every car residing in Dublin would be a D reg, there is still a snobbery thing in the motor trade about having a D registration in Dublin, personally It wouldnt bother me.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

once a car is registered here it keeps the plate for its entire life here.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

kbannon wrote:
    once a car is registered here it keeps the plate for its entire life here.
    I think it can be done in exceptional circumstances and the other vehicle has to be destroyed. VIP 1 was taken from the original Kilkenny vehicle to which it was assigned and reassigned to the Popemobile in 1979.
    Bradidup wrote:
    there is still a snobbery thing in the motor trade about having a D registration in Dublin
    I don't think it's a snobbery thing. A D registered vehicle is seen as being neutral as there are as many D registered vehicles as all other counties put together.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I don't think it's a snobbery thing. A D registered vehicle is seen as being neutral as there are as many D registered vehicles as all other counties put together.

OP: yes but only within a few days of original registration...my neighbour's car was registered LK instead of L last year and the dealer changed it for her...strange because they're the type of dealer that usually don't care!!!!

I'd never buy a D reg...everyone would think you're an undercover cop and the thing would get a beating in town some night

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

ninty9er wrote:
    I'd never buy a D reg...everyone would think you're an undercover cop and the thing would get a beating in town some night

Think I give Limerick a miss then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I'm not 100% certain if this would work, you could try re-registering in the UK, then re-registering in Ireland, you'd get caught for VRT, and there's the possibility the good old VRO would see the chassis and reassign the old number. Would be worth a phone call to the VRO though!

AntiVirus wrote:
    Think I give Limerick a miss then.

I've heard the reaction to D reg's in Cork is even worse....plus you're less likely to get any road courtesy in any given part of the country as D reg's are everywher and it's assumed the driver i local and should know better.

ninty9er wrote:
    I've heard the reaction to D reg's in Cork is even worse....plus you're less likely to get any road courtesy in any given part of the country as D reg's are everywher and it's assumed the driver i local and should know better.

Funny that, my girlfriend is from cork and I've driven down loads of time's and never had a problem or as a matter of fact anywhere in Ireland. I used to drive up to Limavady up North every other weekend in my "D" reg car and never had a problem.

Don't think I've ever seen anyone post here about driving and staying in another county and having problems with a "D" reg car. Sounds like its just Limerick.

I'll still avoid Limerick though, thanks for the warning. I'll pass the message on. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

AntiVirus wrote:
    Funny that, my girlfriend is from cork and I've driven down loads of time's and never had a problem or as a matter of fact anywhere in Ireland. I used to drive up to Limavady up North every other weekend in my "D" reg car and never had a problem.

Don't think I've ever seen anyone post here about driving and staying in another county and having problems with a "D" reg car. Sounds like its just Limerick.

I'll still avoid Limerick though, thanks for the warning. I'll pass the message on. :)

I have never heard of anyone's car down here being smashed because it has a reg from another county. It's not a Limerick thing either. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The only way a car gets a new number is if it is seized by CAB and then sold on at an auction. They give it a new number so it's previous owners can't find it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

AntiVirus wrote:
    Nobody cares about D plates in Limerick. I'd say at least a quarter of the cars I see here are D's - even mine is a D (bought second hand). The only place I'd ever be slightly concerned about driving a Dublin regisitered car is maybe in certain parts of Norn Iron...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

The Irish government are yet again missing out on another money making exercise that doesn't mean fleecing the ordinary motorist. There should be a system in place to facilitate number transfer, make those that want it pay for the service, those that don't require it, don't pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Where in Norn Iron and why Dublin plates?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

ninty9er wrote:
    you're less likely to get any road courtesy in any given part of the country as D reg's are everywhere
    Jesus, I've heard it all now! Do you really think motorists check registration plates before deciding whether to show courtesy or not? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Jesus, I've heard it all now! Do you really think motorists check registration plates before deciding whether to show courtesy or not? :rolleyes:

Perhaps not, but if a D reg car does something silly you say something like "fecking jackeen" under your breath. :D

Incidentally one of posher cars around owned by a Cork person has a 07 D reg (Black MB s450).

In slow noving traffic, when someone tries to change lanes...I don't let them in in a D, CE, LK or L reg as I assume they're local and purposely trying to skip a mile long queue of traffic; anyone else I'll take a chance on:)

I might have gone overboard on the damage thing, but I hate driving in and around in Dublin, cos you can never tell whether the navy Mondeo with a D reg is an unmarked Garda car!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

what I want to know is, if you reg a car, then export it, then import it again do you get a new plate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭tak

Okay. It is probably not on.

Sorry for opening up tribal hostilities here :D !

Thanks to all for opinions.

Best Regards,

Tak.

tak wrote:
    Okay. It is probably not on.

Sorry for opening up tribal hostilities here :D !

Thanks to all for opinions.

Best Regards,

Tak.

Lets get him! He has a "G" reg car!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

haha.... And only D reg cars are allowed at the boards motor meet ok!

• Advertisement
Advertisement