Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London - safe long distance cycle routes wanted

Options
  • 13-04-2007 8:57pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Last weekend I did 81.5km from London central to Southend. It's really only about 65km but I managed to get lost. I broke the trip into 3 sections on google earth and then headed off with a few dodgy maps.

Section 1: London to Romford - 25km of shanty towns.. terrible

Section 2: Romford to Basildon - 20km of busy main road through the fields.. nice scenery but deafening traffic and lungs full of fumes

Section 3: Basildon to Southend - almost 40km of veering on an off main roads and back roads in an attempt to find a more peaceful route to the coast.

Can anyone suggest a decent / safe / quiet and clean cycle route around London or not too far out which I can use for my triathlon training? I'm looking for at least a 20km loop.

In the past 2 years that I have lived in the city I have almost given up long distance cycling due to the frustration of traffic and concrete jungle / main road mania.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

I know a short ~15k one near Ealing thats nice - its so winding that it's impossible to make speed on it but it's very nice to cycle for an hour or so... Apart from doing laps of Osterly or Richmond parks I can't suggest much without leaving town. If you do leave town, I'd suggest picking up the TFL map for your area and following a semi-major road to the edge of the map - at that point you're in a good position to find quieter roads that meander through the green belt.

[EDIT]Alternatively, put your bike on something like the Silverlink and head out to somewhere like Staines and just go and wander for a while![/EDIT]

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

some of the people I race with are always going on about training in Richmond park. I've never been there so for all I know it could be tiny but they spend a lot of time there.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Thanks for the replies folks. I shall read through and give some a bash.

• Advertisement
Advertisement