Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dutch Prisoners pray the wrong way.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I would imagine, regardless of faith that if something is done in good faith, with good intentions and with pure heart and all that stuff it's not a sin.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭the_new_mr

I think that there's no question that the prayers would definitely have counted since they didn't know that they were praying in the wrong direction. As the well known hadith of the Prophet Mohamed (peace be upon him) states that actions are measured by intentions.

Actually, something like this happened in the community centre where I used to pray Friday prayers after a few years of praying in the wrong direction :) It turned out the metal frame in the building messed around with the magnetic field and gave a false reading and nobody realised this until someone had bought a new cool watch with a compass built in and used it outside for fun :) I walked in one Friday and found everyone facing 90 degrees clockwise to where they had been the week before :)

So, the moral of the story: Always use your compass outside :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭maitri

Hobbes wrote:
    Story here.
    http://www.reuters.com/article/oddlyEnoughNews/idUSL134897220070413?feedType=RSS

My only question about this is, if you don't realise it is a sin is it still a sin?

I'm not a Muslim, but I've found this verse from the Qur'an that might shed some light on your question:

[2:177] Righteousness is not turning your faces towards the east or the west. Righteous are those who believe in GOD, the Last Day, the angels, the scripture, and the prophets; and they give the money, cheerfully, to the relatives, the orphans, the needy, the traveling alien, the beggars, and to free the slaves; and they observe the Contact Prayers (Salat) and give the obligatory charity (Zakat); and they keep their word whenever they make a promise; and they steadfastly persevere in the face of persecution, hardship, and war. These are the truthful; these are the righteous.

Advertisement