Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Childfree

Options
  • 13-04-2007 9:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

:confused: Good evening,
    Any other childfree out there by any chance?

I know we are a minority to be childfree and childless while being happy, but There ought to be others like me out there!!
    Why do others make me feel guilty for this choice? Why can they not respect it and let me be?

Does anyone know any organizations that can help me. I'd like to meet other childfree, I wouldn't feel so alone then..

I really feel discriminated against.
    Thank you in advance for your help :)

Sinead

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

Also childfree and happy ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Sinead_g

Do you not feela bit misunderstood though especially in Ireland where making kids is so popular! I am 35 and I find it hard as people expect me to... expect!!! If youknow what I mean... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Have no plans of ever having children. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 yadayada

Me three! I am very happy being child free, yes I am selfish and would
    rather spend my life doing what I want to do, not spending 20 years raising a child, fair play to the people who do..but it ain't for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Childfree: Its the Way 2 B.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,865 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

31 and childfree too. Not particularly bothered about it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Childfree. Not married however. But neither myself or my girlfriend have any interest in ever having kids. We're both 29.

Over the last few years, at any given time, one of my friends was about to become a parent.. and in many cases, not for the first time.

Fair play if it's what you want from life, but it's not for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭texas star

Me too childfree not in interested.have you noticed if u live in Dublin no traffic,no brats being driven to school by there parents as it Easter.They wonder why their children are fat :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

yep, although it was close :( , no kids in the phantom_lord 5 year plan anyway :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Cancer-chick

Not everyone who has kids wants /expects childless people to be off procreating y'know op !!!

I have a daughter and am perfectly happy leaving it at that as i now IMO have best of both worlds as she is getting older and we have great fun but i have my life too.. however even people with 1 child get hassle bout when the next one will be arriving! I dont plan on having any more children but i just wanted to say that i totally understand and respect your decision not to have them.. Its no-ones business but your own and having a child is a HUGE upheaval not to be taken lightly like so many people do.

So for what its worth as a very happy parent i thoroughly respect your decision and you being a woman should not be an issue. you should tell people to mind their own business !!

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

One suitable response for the smug parents question about when are you having kids would be to respond "Huh?? Are you nuts??? I dont do ankle grabbers"

:D

Thanks a lot for your replies, I appreciate it!
    I was browsing the net like mad last night about the childfree "issue" and there are a good few websites out there that give us information and help childfree people like us.
    I don't know if I am really allowed to talk about them though (moderator, it's up to ya! ;o)
    there's No Kidding but you need to open a chapter for that. There's Kidding Aside as well. And i found an interesting one based in Galway (english and french) which seems new enough: Big Kids No Kids :) . It looks really cool, giving info and help chidfree people not to feel guilty by this choice. They want to create events as well which could be really excellent...
    Tell me if you know these sites, and if you have experienced them at all?
    I was feeling a bit down last night but now I am grand again!:o
    Thank you for your replies...

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

You could start your own social/support group. Call it Happy the Childless.

If it is any consolation to you, there is a proportionate amount of the population who have made choices that get comments and opinions from the smug parents even within those circles. People are just rude. I know a woman who was asked in a job interview recently if the man she was with was also the father of her child. No matter what circumstance you are in there is always someone around with a big nose to look down from.

Or how many single mother threads pop up with tales of hostility once someone hears they are NOT childless?

IMO it is incredibly rude to ask someone about their childfree or parental status. It could be as simple as it just never happened, or there could be a history there that hurts or infertilty or whatever.

All in all manners have gone out the window with respect for privacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

I agree with what cancer chick and hesterprynn said. It's people being rude and opinionated.

I was married for nearly 6 years before I had my first lad and kept getting the "anything stirring yet"

Once I had a baby then it was "would you not like a brother or sister for child 1".

Once 2nd boy came along it was "would you not go again and try for a girl"

I've a friend who got lots of sniggered comments when she was pregnant with her 4th child. When she got pregnant with her 5th she was very worried about the comments she knew she'd get when word got out.

Not all parents are out to make childfree people feel guilty. It's down to having respect for other people.

Next time someone is rude and smug about your childfree status if you're brave enough you could always reply "now that I've seen your child/ren it's put me right off" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I do certainly support peoples reproductive choices and choosing to not have children is not that much of a drastic lifestyle choice as far as I am concerned.
    I have friends and family who never want to have children and never want to be parents and that is certianly fine by me.

Ireland is new to the fact that some people don't want to, settle down and have kids and the older generations can't seem to get thier head arround this.

There are still comments to people about 'being left on the shelf' and 'the biological tick tock' or the assumption that people will eventually at some stage get married which is daft tbh.

I don't think it is anyone elses business and people should not be under pressure to conform to what was the old style living.

America has had a childfree movement for quiet a while and that had unfortunatly has gone from childfree to childintolerant, which I have no time for.

Families are smaller and the next generation of families are living further and futher away so it is very possible to live your childfree life and have very little if any contact with children what so ever. Whether this is a good thing for people or socitey only time will tell.

If you don't ever want to be a parent or have kids then cool and you should never be but down for that but neither should people who choose to have kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭barrett1965

deisemum wrote:
    I agree with what cancer chick and hesterprynn said. It's people being rude and opinionated.

I was married for nearly 6 years before I had my first lad and kept getting the "anything stirring yet"

Once I had a baby then it was "would you not like a brother or sister for child 1".

Once 2nd boy came along it was "would you not go again and try for a girl"

I've a friend who got lots of sniggered comments when she was pregnant with her 4th child. When she got pregnant with her 5th she was very worried about the comments she knew she'd get when word got out.

Not all parents are out to make childfree people feel guilty. It's down to having respect for other people.

Next time someone is rude and smug about your childfree status if you're brave enough you could always reply "now that I've seen your child/ren it's put me right off" :D

Best response to the OP.

All I can say Sinead is bully for you for not giving in to societies pressure to have kids. I wish I had you wisdom. I am one of those parents where parenting does not come naturally to me. If I could turn back the clock I would choose not to be a parent. Don't get me wrong, I try to be the best parent I can, but it's very diffucult. :o

Just on what Barrett said .. I totally agree and it is a myth that parenting 'comes naturally' for a man OR for a woman IMO. Its a very weird adjustment having someone dictate all your life choices without them even knowing !

I love my daughter very much but being a parent is the toughest thing i have EVER done and at this stage of my life i doubt ill ever do it again and feel thoroughly blessed just to have her and my life at the same time

It is damn well true that manners have gone out the window in our society.. who the hell knows why someone chooses not to or cannot have kids.. we all know someone who cant conceive and we all know people who wish they had'nt !!! Who knows what any of us as parents would choose if we 'had our time back' its a question i have no problem admitting i struggle with even though i am guessing ill be crucified for saying it !

At the end of the day IMO one cannot say they live in a progressive society when women feel like they are pariahs for being childless.

Sinead i respect you and you dont owe anyone a reason.. Even HAVING to make a smart comment back is lowering yourself to someones level IMO

Life is much to short not to choose what makes one happy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Icequeen

No kids and loving it, I get all that maternal need to have one **** from my nephews and neices and then I get to hand them back and have a life :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

yadayada wrote:
    Me three! I am very happy being child free, yes I am selfish and would rather spend my life doing what I want to do, not spending 20 years raising a child, fair play to the people who do..but it ain't for me.

Why do you call yourself selfish? There is nothing selfish about choosing not to have kids. Imo it is far, far more selfish to have children and not put their need first. Children are a massive commitment and to a certain extent they basically absorb your whole life, forever. If you aren't willing to completely change almost every aspect of your life, change pretty much every priority you have and be prepared for at least the next twenty to have your needs come second then you shouldn't be having kids.

There is nothing selfish with recognising how much having a child will impact on your life and deciding it isn't for you. There is something selfish about creating another person in order to fulfill some societal norm.

At the end of the day there are so many unwanted, unloved children in the world, many living in absolute abject poverty that the only reason for anyone to have their own child is because they really, really want one.

Hi there,

We have all at some stage met people that have called us selfish for choosing no to have children. I also heard that we are not contributing to society and that we don't give anything back!!

I find this so intolerant. They probably feel very jealous that we are free like birds and cannot accept it...

It can be so tiring to have to justify yourself all the time about a choice that is in the end so personal!!!! :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 karenp

Childfree and staying that way.

sinead id have to say im not jealous at all of your childfree status

I have said repeatedly that i respect your choices in my posts but i am starting to get the feeling that you think all parents have no lives at all because of their kids!

Rubbish .. we have a different life and not every day is a bed of roses sure but id not give my life up now and im not remotely jealous of anyone.. why should i be ? freedom is what u make it individually .. i dont need anyone telling me im trapped because iv kids .. you make your own life choices with or without kids. So maybe you could realise that there are parents who have come out in support of you on this thread and u are still slating all parents

:eek:
    Hi Cancer-chick!
    I think there's a bit of misunderstanding here. I was not talking about parents in general, I was talking about people that call us selfish and saying that we do not contribute to society, and them only!

When a friend came to me the weekend befor elast telling me she was pregnant after 5 YEARS of trying, I was crying! I was so happy for her! And she glows since she heard the fantastic news.

I think parents have made a choice as well. They wanted to fulfill their lives with children. I never said it was wrong, I have never judged them for doing so. I am happy for them just because they are. I am asking the same thing in return: that's fair. But unfortunately, it's not always the case :(

fair enough..

I do think it is a societal and generational thing in this country Sinead.. i have yet to live anywhere else that holds up marriage and child-rearing in the way the irish do and yet as young adults we cant get out to Oz/NZ/US fast enough .. its almost like ingrained that you get a certain amount of time to 'have a laugh' and then its home to work and 'settle down'

I had my little one young and find friends who at the time thought i was mad to have her now coming and saying they do not know when the 'right time' to have a child is.. It always makes me smile because tbh imo there is never gonna be one.. Once rugrats arrive your life is not your own.. I have had criticism since she was born from her dads lot telling me i should have breastfed longer.. i should have not gone back to work .. yadda yadda and now i have same people telling me what a well behaved child she is.. its all relative to me !

I think if u stay in ireland u will have to just accept some of it but really dont be afraid to tell people to mind their own business. or better still .. ask them something of theirs that u know will bug them .. usually wil shut them up

The one thing i got from yours and everyone elses posts is that there really is so much nosiness in this country.. Its such a short life when u think about it and rather than trying to change the worlds (well irelands) opinion :) ...

I'd just quietly keep on keeping on if it makes you happy girl !

B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

When I married in my early 20's I decided I was never having children, as I had 4 younger brothers and had spent half my childhood being a parent.

But, at 30, I changed my mind and ended up having 3.

It is really really tough esp when they are small. Gets easier when they start school. But I'm told they get worse when they're teenagers. Still, I adore them and wouldn't give them back.

I really respect your choice. You have to be prepared to give up a few years of your life, you're no longer your own person, you can't just get up and go somewhere without considering the little ones. You endure a lot of frustration like constantly cleaning up sick, poo, spilt milk, tomato sauce from radiators (yes, did that once), need I go on...

Better go and play with my gorgeous adorable 4 month old girl!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

34 and Child free! :D

I love being able to do anything on the spur of the moment. I have 4 nephews and thats enough for me. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Read this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055078608 or watch Supernanny and you won't regret your decision to remain childfree.

Actually I heard all the annoying comments too when I was childfree. I could go on.

I've never understood why somebody who wants to be childfree is called selfish - I think it's actually more selfish to bring a child into the world!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

'
    kelle wrote:
    I've never understood why somebody who wants to be childfree is called selfish - I think it's actually more selfish to bring a child into the world!

Its not too hard to understand, if people don't have children you can only live for yourself. There is no point in writing music or poetry, designing great works of architecture etc if there is not going to be anyone around to appreciate it.'

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Oh god no. Dont make me have kids. Im a kid myself. The poor child will suffer.
    Suffer!!!
    I gave you fair warning.

I mean I'm childfree and planning on staying that way.
    Which is difficult cos Im so manly and virile I'm fighting the women off with both feet and one hand.

• Advertisement

Bollocko .. Both feet and ONE hand ????

Good lord, the mind simply boggles !!

Advertisement