Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Childfree

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Nastiest post ever (and that's saying something considering some of the stuff that ><-__m=m guy who got banned recently used to write):
    Kernel wrote:
    Aw Sinead, you are obviously having issues about the lack of continuity of your genetic lineage. Don't worry, someday you will find a man and reproduce before your womb turns to a dry husk and you end up a bitter lonely oul wan living with 12 cats. ;) All you like-minded (ie. self deluded) chicks will probably be the same, but starting threads about how happy you are without sprogs, and not at all jealous of your friends and their families, is just too transparent to resist. *kisses* :p

However, they do have a point: if a person actually goes to the trouble of setting up a movement, it's tempting to speculate that there are deeper issues here. I don't particularly want kids - I think it seems horrifically tough - but that's the end of it. I don't think about it any more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

There seems to a lot of sensitivity amongst children free people especially around comic enquiries. Nobody would defend intrusive questioning. Childfree is certainly on the increase, for some its the economics of being independent and free but for others (with whom its probability affordability) that they choose to be childfree.

I see see any big deal about having children, yes I'm proud and happy etc but no more/less than some of the childfree others.

It's a bit like a 2 hr commute to work, some rationalise it along like the affordability of where the live and getting more for the € , but no way Jose would I do a 4 hr daily roundtrip commute no matter what my status might be.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Mrs M wrote:
    I started a community just for the childfree to come and rant or just to express their opinions with like minded people. Those of you who are CF you are welcome to join us.
    :D

<snip>

If you want to advertise on here, pay for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

nesf wrote:
    MrsM wrote:
    I started a community just for the childfree to come and rant or just to express their opinions with like minded people. Those of you who are CF you are welcome to join us.

<snip>

Save the snip for Mr M.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Mrs M

nesf wrote:

LOL, sorry about that. Did it's job though!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Mrs M

simu wrote:
    I see references to mothers as "moos" and "wombmen". Such wit!! If people don't want kids, that's fine but why would you define yourself so much by the choice not to have kids? It's not that unusual. I know a fair few people who haven't reproduced and they don't seem to be too bothered about this. Is the "childfree" movement just another example of people who want to feel they're being victimised in some way so they can rant?

I define myself as childfree because it is by choice (are you struggling to understand that!!). I can assure you I do not feel victimised, yes some parents need to be put straight on certain things but trust me a victim I am not. Although it's always nice to rant which you obviously like to do, human nature. The childfree movement would like to see certain tax breaks for the childfree as some of us feel our monies are being wasted on 'families' and the benefits culture of breeding and not working.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Mrs M wrote:
    rant

Excellent.

Mad person decides not to pass on her bitterness gene to future generations.

Everyone is happy.

Also reported for gloating re: free advertising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Mrs M wrote:
    I just wanted to add, my husband and I are childfree and we love our life and lifestyle. Being CF is not for everyone but it's not a negative as some parents presume.

Anyway due to constant comments by parents such as 'who will come to your funeral’, ‘who will look after you in your old age’, ‘you do not know what love is to you have a child' (all utter trash I may say). I started a community just for the childfree to come and rant or just to express their opinions with like minded people. Those of you who are CF you are welcome to join us.

<snip>

to be honest, I don't care if you have kids or not. I don't care which God you pray to, if any. I don't care if you avoid meat, aspartame or flouride. I don't care what you think we should do about saving the planet. I don't care if you voted bertie or enda, or pat or, indeed, trevor. I don't care about the state of you relationship, what your husband thinks about kids or what you think about people who have kids. I just don't care. If you want kids, fine. If you don't, fine. Just quit trying to get me to post saying "You're right!, I don't know how I didn't see this point of view before". I did see it before. Many times. and I just. don't. care.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The childfree movement would like to see certain tax breaks for the childfree as some of us feel our monies are being wasted on 'families' and the benefits culture of breeding and not working.:mad:
    Uh, wow. "Culture" of breeding and not working? You're seriously suggesting that there is a widespread and accepted practice of having children purely so one can stay at home and claim benefits?

Why should you get tax breaks because you have no children? How does the state benefit in you having no children?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

I want kids for their tasty tasty organs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Also childfree. The world has enough people as it is.

Unfortunately it's the dumb ones who breed the most...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Mrs M wrote:
    I define myself as childfree because it is by choice (are you struggling to understand that!!).

No, I understand that perfectly. It's really not all that unusual a choice tbh - as I said before, I know plenty of people who have made the same choice. I'm struggling to understand why you're so worked up about other people making a different choice and so much against the economic and societal arguments for supporting them.
    The childfree movement would like to see certain tax breaks for the childfree as some of us feel our monies are being wasted on 'families' and the benefits culture of breeding and not working.:mad:

Did it ever occour to you that some of the kids who are benefiting from today's child tax breaks might become members of your movement in the future? Also, you really should calculate the amout of money in benefits and tax breaks that your parents received for you as a child and pay it back to the state (taking inflation into account - bien sur).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

Mrs M wrote:

Right....so when all the childfree people get old will the younger people be allowed to refuse to give them decent pensions to live on because they had paid less tax? That way the parents who worked and paid tax can have better pensions because they have earned it and their children and grandchildren are happy for them to be well provided for. Also, since you childfree would be paying less tax then you'd also not be getting the bus pass when you're old enough for one......you'll have very little money to afford luxuries like travel (due to having a smaller pension)......but that won't bother you because you'll have nobody to go and visit. :D

Grow up Mrs M. Maybe a course in basic economics might help pass some of your time for you, after all you seem to have far too much of it to waste on setting up ridiculous websites! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

dublindude wrote:

Agree 100% with both statements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭rs

If you choose to be childfree then that's your choice and I respect it.

I'm in my early 30's and have one kid (1 year old). Last night he woke up crying at 2:30am and it took me an hour to get him back to sleep. fun.

My wife stays home to look after him, so obviously we have less cash than we used to. We've been out to dinner once in the last 12 months, and everywhere we go has to be planned around feeding times, sleeping times, cranky times, etc. We also have to take half a billion things with us everywhere we go.

Our lives as we knew them ended a year ago when this little person same along.

This sounds awful, doesn't it. It's not an easy gig having a kid.

But they are just so much fun, so rewarding, so interesting, so funny. Watching them learn, smile, laugh, play, etc. I've never smiled or laughed so much in my life as I have in the last year.

I think that anyone who does not have kids is really missing out. The hardships you hear about are only part of the story. The rewards are so much more.

And while I respect the choice not to have kids, I'll never understand it. I don't know why anyone would chose never to experience what it's like to be a parent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

dublindude wrote:

If this is is true, was wondering to which category do you belong?:

1. One of one too many?
    2. The dumb ones ie Offspring of dumb ones or
    3. The chosen 'half breeds' ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

If you want children have them. If you don't, don't.

Does that really warrant a thread ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Duckjob wrote:
    If you want children have them. If you don't, don't.

Does that really warrant a thread ?

Some people might like advice on how to deal with the 'oh my god you're not having children you monster, who will look after you when you're old' brigade.

Try reading 'Child-Free and Loving It' by Nikki Defago.

Some people might like advice on how to deal with the 'oh my god you're not having children you monster, who will look after you when you're old' brigade.

I have an internal ignore button, similar to the one on boards.ie. for annoying people. Works a charm. Water off a ducks arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

deisemum wrote:
    A cat is much easier work that a dog :D

And a snake is much easier work than a cat, feed once a week and poos 1-2 per week (per month in the case of boas and pythons).

• Advertisement

I just cant get my head around what happened in wexford yesterday as a father of two similarly aged children I'm heart broken looking at the pictures on the hearld AM. Little Leanne securely resting her hand on her mams arm.

RIP Little angles..

Why, what happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

man, im totally havin as many kids as i can afford! i dont care about all that "Who'll come to your funeral" and "take care of you when your old" crap. Its just kids are the only people i can find that are on a par with me, maturity wise! they rock!

simu wrote:
    I see references to mothers as "moos" and "wombmen".

MOO stands for Mother Obsessed with Offspring. It's not really that offensive, there are much stronger words used in live journal groups such as Childfree Hardcore where children are referred to as 'crotch droppings'. I'm childfree, but the childfree movement is doing itself no favour by lowering itself to name calling.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Demonique wrote:
    MOO stands for Mother Obsessed with Offspring. It's not really that offensive, there are much stronger words used in live journal groups such as Childfree Hardcore where children are referred to as 'crotch droppings'. I'm childfree, but the childfree movement is doing itself no favour by lowering itself to name calling.

They remind me of radical feminists. They're an embarrassment to most of the moderates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭MarinoMark

If I wanted a snotty little thing that costed me a grand a month in childcare, I would have left the condom off.. You Did it....Bleedin Pay for it, and stop Moanin....

Demonique wrote:

Wow, thats seriously bitter and twisted. Seriously, they're the worst possible advert for being childfree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

I find it quite refreshing to see there are so many people out there prepared to go childfree for the future of my children. Myself and my wife find it very heartening.

Raising children seems ****ing hard. As my mum says, it's not for everyone - so what if most of us have the biological capacity to reproduce? It was pretty much obligatory (due to cultural/societal pressure) in the past but that doesn't mean there weren't mothers and fathers who just couldn't cope with it. And post-natal depression may not have been recognised but it was still around.
    I think babies are beautiful but I don't know if I'd be cut out for motherhood. Still though, who knows. I've another five of six years left before it's time to decide once and for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭stcatherine

Just found this and thought I'd add my 2c.

I'm 34 and a Mum of one but not by choice. I'd have had more if I could but we are having problems and have lost 2 babies. More than anything else in the world I wanted to be a wife and a Mum, that's just what I felt my calling in life was. A career just didn't yank my crank, tried it and hated it !

for that very reason I have the absolute utmost respect for people who are not afraid in this day and age to stand up and say "You know what, I don't want children" for whatever reason, it doesn't matter. You should be given a medal for not bowing to what is sometimes pressure from other people to have kids.

There are far too many kids in this world who don't have the family life they deserve because people were pressured into having kids they didn't want and knew they couldn't cope with !!

Just because you don't want children does not mean there is anything wrong with you, in the same way that I chose to be a Mum and wife not because it's expected but because it's just what makes me happy.

• Advertisement

Awfully sorry for your loss.

Advertisement