Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Server Capacity

Options
  • 13-04-2007 10:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Hi,

I'm a bit clueless about web hosting but i am looking into a venture where i will need to host a (hopefully) reasonably active website. Can anyone give me any ballpark figures on server capacity needed for active/very active websites? ie what cpus/storage etc you would need.

Cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Start small, you can upgrade when you get an idea of volume. There's no point needlessly wasting money by buying a huge package while the website is just getting on its feet.

For most providers, upgrades to better services will be very fast/instant, so if you keep an eye on thinggs, you'll be able to upgrade as traffic volume increases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Start small, you can upgrade when you get an idea of volume. There's no point needlessly wasting money by buying a huge package while the website is just getting on its feet.

For most providers, upgrades to better services will be very fast/instant, so if you keep an eye on thinggs, you'll be able to upgrade as traffic volume increases.
    Great advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

'Busy' is a very hard to define term and requiremens will vary depending on the type of site or application. Best is to start small on a shared solution that will fit the technical requirements (unless you already know you're going to be doing more traffic than shared can handle well, or the site/app is important from an uptime point of view).

You can then migrate/upgrade to dedicated server solutions relatively easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 wom14

ok will all that advice into consideration. Thanks!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

Wom14, what type of site is it? If you are providing a downloadable product then you're going to require plenty of bandwidth, if it's a standard text and images site then you should start off small.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

This article might help you get an understanding: http://webhosting.resourceindex.com/articles/000009.html

Advertisement