Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPS Home Setting Warning

Options
  • 13-04-2007 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭

A colleague of mine in the UK claims there have been numerous thefts of GPS systems with cars in the UK and the burglars just click on the location "home" which guides them directly to your front door. They know you're not in 'cos they've got your car and they break in steal your stuff & bugger off with it loaded in your motor!
    He has advised setting the local cop-shop as your home address just in case.

Maybe an urban myth - but seems to make sense - take heed if you want i I've changed mine just in case (pretty sad as I'm sure we are all capable of finding our own home unaided - apart from the odd weekend)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,084 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Done and dusted!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055052921

But I have since read that the real pros have got some gizmo that detects the presence of a GPS unit inside a car, so there's no point hiding it in the glovebox!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

Is this not predicated on the belief that everyone who owns a car with a GPS is a lonely bastard living in a house all on their own?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

But why bother with the whole Car/GPS thing at all? Why not just break into a house where there's no-one answering the doorbell?

As for the GPS detector, if the GPS receiver is switched off, how could anyone tell it apart from any other piece of inert electronic equipment? As mentioned before, just look for the suction pad marks on the windscreen. Probably a better detector.

It's probably time for someone to post about 'how the government can track you using your GPS device / Mobile phone / tinfoil hat'. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

if your unit has a pin protection use this, as when you power on unit it looks for pin number first

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

But why bother with the whole Car/GPS thing at all? Why not just break into a house where there's no-one answering the doorbell?

That is so low tech....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

parsi wrote:
    That is so low tech....
    But you could use your GPS detector to see if they have a GPS receiver in the house.. ;)

Advertisement