Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Expansys "repair" problem

Options
  • 13-04-2007 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭

posted this in the wrong forum last week. Any help/advice would be appreciated

Having a bit of an issue with Expansys (and motorola) at the moment and would appreciate any advice/opinions.

Basics of the story are:

November '06 I bought a new silver Motorola V3 from Expansys.ie for my mother. She loved the phone and took fantastic care of it, velvet pouch to stop it getting scratched, kept plastic film on outside screen etc. It was in immaculate condition, like new.

In late december, the phone started dropping calls, mid-conversation. She put up with this for about 3 weeks before swapping sim to a different handset. She didn't experience the same problems with the different handset, so she figured it's the V3. She let me know, and I contacted expansys to arrange a repair.

First expansys told me that I should send it to Motorola myself as it wasn't really their problem. Then finally they agreed to take back the phone to get it repaired. This was the end of jan, start of feb. So I sent back the phone at my expense, and received an email confirming that they'd got it and it was being sent to Motorola for repair but it could take up to 6 weeks depending on parts.

Last Friday (8+ weeks later) I got the handset back and basically it looks like it was kicked and thrown around. the screens are smudged and scratched, the paint is scuffed and it's in pretty much piss-poor condition. There was no way I could give it back to my mum like that so I shot off an email to expansys. By tuesday there was no reply, so I sent another. Again no reply, so I called today and long story short Motorola are saying they took fantastic care of the phone, only handling it with cotton gloves etc. and sent it back in a padded box and that there is no way they could have caused the cosmetic damage. Expansys are saying similar and saying that all they can do is refund my postage costs.

Now seeing as the phone went over to them in 'like new' condition, I'm majorly annoyed. Neither will take responsibility for the damage and they are saying that they won't do anything. I've told them that I'm going to contact the OCDA (ordered from expansys.ie) and will be looking into the ECC too but as I won't really be able to start that until next week I figured I'd post here and see what ye think.

Thoughts? (and please don't say "shouldn't have bought a Motorola", as it's what my mum wanted and was a gift so I couldn't get a nokia or better brand)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

posted this in the wrong forum last week. Any help/advice would be appreciated

Having a bit of an issue with Expansys (and motorola) at the moment and would appreciate any advice/opinions.

Basics of the story are:

November '06 I bought a new silver Motorola V3 from Expansys.ie for my mother. She loved the phone and took fantastic care of it, velvet pouch to stop it getting scratched, kept plastic film on outside screen etc. It was in immaculate condition, like new.

In late december, the phone started dropping calls, mid-conversation. She put up with this for about 3 weeks before swapping sim to a different handset. She didn't experience the same problems with the different handset, so she figured it's the V3. She let me know, and I contacted expansys to arrange a repair.

First expansys told me that I should send it to Motorola myself as it wasn't really their problem. Then finally they agreed to take back the phone to get it repaired. This was the end of jan, start of feb. So I sent back the phone at my expense, and received an email confirming that they'd got it and it was being sent to Motorola for repair but it could take up to 6 weeks depending on parts.

Last Friday (8+ weeks later) I got the handset back and basically it looks like it was kicked and thrown around. the screens are smudged and scratched, the paint is scuffed and it's in pretty much piss-poor condition. There was no way I could give it back to my mum like that so I shot off an email to expansys. By tuesday there was no reply, so I sent another. Again no reply, so I called today and long story short Motorola are saying they took fantastic care of the phone, only handling it with cotton gloves etc. and sent it back in a padded box and that there is no way they could have caused the cosmetic damage. Expansys are saying similar and saying that all they can do is refund my postage costs.

Now seeing as the phone went over to them in 'like new' condition, I'm majorly annoyed. Neither will take responsibility for the damage and they are saying that they won't do anything. I've told them that I'm going to contact the OCDA (ordered from expansys.ie) and will be looking into the ECC too but as I won't really be able to start that until next week I figured I'd post here and see what ye think.

Thoughts? (and please don't say "shouldn't have bought a Motorola", as it's what my mum wanted and was a gift so I couldn't get a nokia or better brand)

Did you contact the couriers? and maybe they send you back a different refurbished phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Haven't contacted the courier as the box was in perfect nick, i figure the damage happened at Motorola. Imei is the same on the phone so I think it's the same one, I don't know if they'd go to the trouble of changing it to send back a refurb.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭gerryo

Now seeing as the phone went over to them in 'like new' condition, I'm majorly annoyed. Neither will take responsibility for the damage and they are saying that they won't do anything. ...
    Are you sure it's the same phone?
    Did you take note of the IMEI before you sent it?
    Maybe you still have the original packaging, check the IMEI on the box against the phone IMEI.

I remember sending something back for repair years ago & got a scuffed + dirty replacment, but worked OK. Luckily I had the serial number & was able to get my original property back after a quick phone call.

I also remember a phone repair company I dealt with expressing surprise that a customer might actually want their own phone back, they usually just sent a replacement from stock. As they saw it, a phone is a phone :rolleyes:

Advertisement