Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why can´t I stop eating meat?

• 14-04-2007 1:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭

I recently turned 40 and went to a Chinese restaurant where I ate chicken in lemon sauce and a portion of chips. So what?, says you - I am discusted with myself. I am a Holistic Animal Healer and fight for them big time and everywhere I go and yet I can´t live without eating them?! I have been told by a vegan just recently just not too worry. It´ll make "click" one day and I am past that obsession with meat. Let´s pray that day comes soon as I don´t think I am able to control it. I have cut back an awful lot but this "chicken thing" still happens occassionally. :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

I used to be like that when I was a kid, I cared about animals but I couldn't see myself not eating them! For me it was a matter of deciding one day to be a veggie and it just sorta stuck. I'm more surprised than anyone that I stuck to it.

Try replacing the chicken you eat with Quorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

because you are a carnivore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

I honestly wouldn't worry if you only eat meat occasionally. If you were eating it all the time and this was eating you up (so to speak) then you'd have to do something about it.

But it sounds like you have a problem with not being perfect...

Every time you eat something you make a choice. If you usually make good choices and occasionally not-so-good ones, I'd say give yourself a break :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭tj-music.com

Thanks folks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

if eating meat was so bad, it wouldn't taste so good.

you've had chicken.. now it's time to enjoy a nice bit of steak. or venison..
    god I love venison

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Mordeth wrote:

you've had chicken.. now it's time to enjoy a nice bit of steak. or venison..
    god I love venison

I've never had venison, what is it like?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

the only way I can describe it is like steak.. but tougher and tastier

someone left a bit in a freezer when they moved out and I cooked it one day... never had such an expression of pure joy on my face sober

Guys, have you got nothing better to on a Saturday morning than talk about vennison on a vegetarian forum?

Then again I have better things to do than to reply to you, so I guess I'm just as sad as you are...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Nature Boy wrote:
    Guys, have you got nothing better to on a Saturday morning than talk about vennison on a vegetarian forum?

Then again I have better things to do than to reply to you, so I guess I'm just as sad as you are...

Yeah, its a bit unfair. ;)

But its soooo F*cking nice :D

Mmmmmmm Angus Steak :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

Mordeth wrote:

Good thinking old chap...now why don't you go and jack up some heroine? That feels good too.

• Advertisement

rockbeer wrote:
    Good thinking old chap...now why don't you go and jack up some heroine? That feels good too.

:D Good one. I must use that one some time :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

If you feel the need to re-align your moral compass in relation to meat-eating, then may I humbly suggest you check out the PETA videos on the mistreatment of animals in slaughterhouses.

Be warned, they are not for the faint hearted, so no link, just google it for yourself.

If you feel the need to re-align your moral compass in relation to meat-eating, then may I humbly suggest you check out the PETA videos on the mistreatment of animals in slaughterhouses.

Be warned, they are not for the faint hearted, so no link, just google it for yourself.

I don't think his/her problem is with being unsure on whether to become veggie or not. I think the problem is (s)he is having trouble beating the craving! Giving up meat can be simular to giving up smoking! I found it pretty difficult to give it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭Mentalmiss

Perhaps recognising it as an addiction and treating it as such would help you to get through this.
    It is a game that you have to play. Either the meat wins or you win.
    I like to think that I am a winner so if I decide to do something then I take on that attitude to it and I insist on winning.
    You can win if you want to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭tj-music.com

Nature Boy wrote:
    I I think the problem is (s)he is having trouble beating the craving!

You´re bang on correct. And I myself is a HE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭carfax

rockbeer wrote:
    I honestly wouldn't worry if you only eat meat occasionally. If you were eating it all the time and this was eating you up (so to speak) then you'd have to do something about it.

But it sounds like you have a problem with not being perfect...

Every time you eat something you make a choice. If you usually make good choices and occasionally not-so-good ones, I'd say give yourself a break :)

Very well put......I like that idea - "If you feel like eating something at a certain time go for it, don't beat yourself up about it".

People can really get carried away with principles sometimes (me included) and as far as being a very strict vegatarian/vegan its far from the most worthwhile thing you can do with your time, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭carfax

Edit; Duplicate Post

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Don't beat yourself over mistakes, they happen to everybody.
    After poker, being a very strict vegatarian/vegan is far from the most worthwhile thing you can do with your time. ;)

If you really try I'm sure you can beat it my good man, if I can do it anybody can, since the only food I really like is meat. Hate pretty much everything.

Don't beat yourself over mistakes, they happen to everybody.
    After poker, being a very strict vegatarian/vegan is far from the most worthwhile thing you can do with your time. ;)

If you really try I'm sure you can beat it my good man, if I can do it anybody can, since the only food I really like is meat. Hate pretty much everything.

I find being a veggie very worthwhile.

Anyhoo...Are you a veggie long?
    What do you eat? Are you adventourous?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I was joking, as I'm addicted to poker.

• Advertisement
Advertisement