Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Preparing for College

Options
  • 14-04-2007 1:42am

Right, I thought it a good idea to start a thread about preparing for college. I know that most career guidance teachers have the same old story, so I thought it a good thing to tell people more of what to expect so to better prepare yourself for post LC life.

I thought this the best forum as it seems more suitable

So, lets begin.

First off, it is important to say that college isn't necessary for everyone. This may seem a bit obvious, but I've seen and heard of a lot of people who went to college only because their friends were.
    It isn't the world if you don't go straight to college. I, for example, took a year off after my leaving and worked instead. Then, at the age of 19, I started college. If you feel you're not interested, so be it. There's many other things you can do; PLC's, apprenticeships, working.

Now that we've got that covered, lets move on to some other stuff.

Living Out of Home
    Not everyone will be living at home during college. If, like me, you rarely receive money from your parents, get a part-time job. But make sure that this does not overtake your college work. This is what happened to me, and my college work suffered dramatically as a result, indirectly leading me to drop out.
    Make a budget for yourself.
    Make sure to prepare a budget that will cover food (having a good diet in college is important, as is stressed with regards the leaving cert), rent and bills (usually ESB, NTL etc. etc.), and money for going out (if need be). However, don't go overboard with this, as you have between two and four years to enjoy college life. So take it easy

Feeling Down?
    Tell somebody about it. This cannot be stressed enough. If something is getting to you, you're so much better off discussing it with someone. Colleges provide a councilor for a reason. They are completely confidential so worry not bout what you say. There is also the Student Union, which you can turn to if need be

Make Friends
    This may seem a bit stupid, but you'd be surprised at the amount of people who do not make friends. College is all about meeting new people and having a good time. And first year is the best for this. Everyone is going through the exact same thing, and everyone is adjusting. Go up to somebody and discuss lectures, plan parties, or even bitch about a lecturer.

Learn to say no!
    Once again, a bit obvious, but it's a good thing. You are going to encounter a lot of things in college, from drinking to drugs. If you do intend to experiment, so be it, but keep a clear head about you. Don't do it to try and fit in with people, as there are plenty of more out there who are willing not to push you.

If people have been through college, feel free to add some more.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Make Friends
    This may seem a bit stupid, but you'd be surprised at the amount of people who do not make friends. College is all about meeting new people and having a good time. And first year is the best for this. Everyone is going through the exact same thing, and everyone is adjusting. Go up to somebody and discuss lectures, plan parties, or even bitch about a lecturer.
    One suggestion I'd personally make in that respect is to join Clubs and Societies, especially smaller ones. I'm almost through my first year in UCD, and most of the friends I have in college I made through the Gamesoc, more so than in my classes.... which may just be because I skip too many lectures... =/

Advertisement