Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student Credit Card Approval

Options
  • 14-04-2007 2:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this has already been answered numerous times but i searched and couldn't find any definitive answer. I was just wondering how hard exactly are Student Credit Cards to get, i'm sick of 3v, etc. I only opened my BOI account around 2 months ago due to PTSB lack of student options. As i get paid cash from my part-time job i normally deposit the money in lump sums about every 2/3 weeks, so there is no real continuity. I have about €1,200 in there at the moment and am trying to keep it around that figure. Does anyone know if i'd find it hard due to the length of time i'm with the bank also they didn't give me a laser card when i opened the account. Cheers for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭patrickc

you'll get it alot easier than you think, just dont do what i did and get carried away, because they increase your limit at the touch of a hat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I opened a student account with AIB and applied for a credit card the same day (in DIT). I had a credit card in the post the next week. Was working part time at the time while in college.

You're a student - they want you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Kid Nothing

thanks for the relpies. I got the form this morning and just read it and it says that i need to have been with the bank for a minimum of 6 months. Those anyone know if they're strict on this? Is it worth trying anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

amull87 wrote:
    thanks for the relpies. I got the form this morning and just read it and it says that i need to have been with the bank for a minimum of 6 months. Those anyone know if they're strict on this? Is it worth trying anyway?

What they are saying is correct. Trust me, there's no rush getting a credit card, unless you pay it off every month and on time you will be charged interest. I got my credit card when I started in 2nd year (600 eur limit) and by the time I was in 4th year I had a 1700 eur limit and was living off it. So dont be in a rush to get a CC. They can be bad news unless managed properly, which is easier said than done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭naitkris

i got mine very easily. i had just turned 18, was in secondary school at the time, with no income, however showing them just a payment slip or two from a job during the summer managed to get me the student credit card.

bank was one of the big ones, but i presume they all take a relaxed attitude to it. i would think they will begin to tighten up on it however should things begin to go bad in the economy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yeah you need to be careful with BOI increasing the limit. They put mine up to 1800 at one point, which was so far beyond what I could ever pay back in a month it was laughable. I finally cleared it and had them reduce it to 400, then a few months later they increased it again to 800 :mad: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Kid Nothing

ok so should i apply anyway (having only been with them for 2 months) or just wait til september?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

I'd wait til September. If the 6 months is literal it will blow your application out of the water right off and then when you reapply 4 months down the line they can see you've applied before and might get suspicious (credit scoring etc..)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 maximusdecimus

i would only advise you to get one if u really need one for holidays etc. as its easy to get carried away with them and with the limit regularly increasing you'd be suprised at how quick you get into debt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Sometimes a decent overdraft facility can be as handy as a credit card.

For online purchases, try www.wirecard.com. They give you a credit card that can be topped up using a payment from internet banking. Basically, you pay into a bank of ireland account in Dublin and the amount is automatically credited to your wirecard.

Fairly soon they're hoping to be issuing actual credit cards to go with the virutal card number, so you'll be able to use it with a chip and pin over the counter!

Also, it might be worth looking at Halifax's new current account offering. It's been rumoured that they're rolling out Visa Debit rather than Laser card as they're not part of the IPSO (Irish Payment Services Organisation). If this is the case, you'll be able to use their debit card online anywhere there's a visa symbol!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement