Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So whose an Aussie here?

Options
  • 14-04-2007 2:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

Just looking to see what other members here are like myself, an aussie.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Hmmm... Daixxi is Aussie... Whitewashman is Aussie (but you woudln't know it to speak to him ;) ) And tehre are various others who live in Aus...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Ausdubliner

Im another

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭LilKitty

Im another

Your username sounds like you're either originally from Dublin but are in Australia or originally an Australian but are in Dublin.:confused:

Hmmm... Daixxi is Aussie... Whitewashman is Aussie (but you woudln't know it to speak to him ;) ) And tehre are various others who live in Aus...

Cheaper entertainment, what are you talking about mate?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

flamin' galah!

• Advertisement

The-Rigger wrote:
    flamin' galah!

Don't come the raw prawn with me!:D

LilKitty wrote:
    Don't come the raw prawn with me!:D

I reckon you ave' a few Kangaroos loose in the top paddock likitty!

Now go fix me some egg pie! :D

Egg pie? WTF?:confused: :eek:

lol, an aussie told me that because 'real men don't eat quiche', that aussie men call quiche: 'egg pie!!!'

tho, no other aussie I've mentioned too has ever heard of this :p

The-Rigger wrote:
    lol, an aussie told me that because 'real men don't eat quiche', that aussie men call quiche: 'egg pie!!!'

tho, no other aussie I've mentioned too has ever heard of this :p

I'm an aussie(obviously) and I haven't ever heard of that term either!

Anyway what other aussie slang do you know?:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Strueth! LilKitty, realise a good few of us were brought up on Home and Away. :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Flamin' mongrel...

Ruu wrote:
    Strueth! LilKitty, realise a good few of us were brought up on Home and Away. :)

Alf is always good for a few quotes, but I'm a neighbours man till I die!!

Faith wrote:
    Flamin' mongrel...

*Threatens to bar faith from The Surf Club !!

lilkitty wrote:

I'm an aussie(obviously) and I haven't ever heard of that term either!

Anyway what other aussie slang do you know?

I'm a veritable Aussie dictionary!!

Just a few nights ago I was out and some drunk aussie wandered up to me and handed me his tie slurring 'you wearr thiss!', I made
    sure to tell him what a flamin' mongrel, galah, and a few other things that he was (he loved it!).

My influences include

Paul Hogan
    Steve Irwin
    Alf Ramsey (tho I dislike Home and Away)
    Brad Willis (Neighbours)

and most importantly: Joe Mangel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

/closes eyes ... this thread hurtses them!

Five years from Oz in a week - oh my!

The-Rigger wrote:
    lol! you love it tho! :)

Actually not really. Most people in Australia don't actually talk like Alf Stewart at all and he just stereotypes Australian males.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Okay, okay, enough of the pointless chit-chat. Take it to PM if you want to continue, please.

All off-topic and pointless posts have been deleted.

LilKitty wrote:
    Your username sounds like you're either originally from Dublin but are in Australia or originally an Australian but are in Dublin.:confused:

the latter...sorry for the confusion

the latter...sorry for the confusion

So have you permanently moved to Dublin or do you plan to come back to Australia eventually?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

Lived in Dublin for the last 7 years, moved back to oz in January. Staying here for 1-2 years & seeing what happens (mrs is Irish so family ties may bring us back)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

RuggieBear is also descended from convicts.

Mike.

• Advertisement

LilKitty wrote:
    So have you permanently moved to Dublin or do you plan to come back to Australia eventually?

I've moved to Dublin for a couple of years...how about you?

bw wrote:
    Lived in Dublin for the last 7 years, moved back to oz in January. Staying here for 1-2 years & seeing what happens (mrs is Irish so family ties may bring us back)

Where in Brisbane are you living? Before I left i was in the Indooroopilly area.

Never been out of Australia but I hope to one day go overseas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

Where in Brisbane are you living? Before I left i was in the Indooroopilly area.

From Ipswich originally, living east side now near Carindale. Really feeling the drought here now. Level 5 water restrictions at the moment. Have alook at http://www.qwc.qld.gov.au/ for more info if yer bored.

bw wrote:
    From Ipswich originally, living east side now near Carindale. Really feeling the drought here now. Level 5 water restrictions at the moment. Have alook at http://www.qwc.qld.gov.au/ for more info if yer bored.

Well if you lived in Tassie you'd be alright as far as the drought is concerned, last time their water was at 80 something % but it might be lower now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

LilKitty wrote:
    Actually not really. Most people in Australia don't actually talk like Alf Stewart at all and he just stereotypes Australian males.

LilKitty after reading this I reckon you will as mad as a cut snake.

You are right except most city people dont talk like Alf Stewart but a lot of the country folk do.

Same as Ireland Dubliners talk different than west country people.

I have lot friends use a lot of stereotype Aussie terms and they are all top blokes.

mandrake04 wrote:
    LilKitty after reading this I reckon you will as mad as a cut snake.
    For a start this statment doesn't make sense! will as mad as a cut snake?

mandrake04 wrote:
    You are right except most city people dont talk like Alf Stewart but a lot of the country folk do.

Same as Ireland Dubliners talk different than west country people.
    I have lot friends use a lot of stereotype Aussie terms and they are all top blokes.
    I wasn't implying no Australians talk like him at all but he is the excessive breed and therefore the stereotype. Do you honestly know that many guys who say "Stone the flaming crows", "Streugth(or however it's spelled), "Flamin Mongrel" and those sort of things on a daily basis? Honestly? Cos I can tell you not ever country area is like that, I lived in one till I was 6 and have vacationed in some and it was never that extreme! Also I wasn't saying people who talk like that are morons or anything, I was saying they're not a common occurrence and we are talking about the extreme male aussie talking Alf Stewart model here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

LilKitty wrote:

Do you honestly know that many guys who say "Stone the flaming crows".

Ha ha you are right most guys I know would'nt say that they would have used more swear words so maybe the above is just made for TV.......... but in saying that most Aussies are very like Irish people and use colourful phrases to spice up English which tends to be a boring Language.

P.S

should have be ...... will be as mad as a cut snake

mandrake04 wrote:
    Ha ha you are right most guys I know would'nt say that they would have used more swear words so maybe the above is just made for TV.......... but in saying that most Aussies are very like Irish people and use colourful phrases to spice up English which tends to be a boring Language.
    Yes that's true but I suppose all countries with a primary language of English do that to some degree. The English do, use words such as "sodding"(or is it with just one d?). The Americans(of USA) have things like bling and crib that have caught on elsewhere but, bling being the main example, but many are still used more often by them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭man1

LilKitty wrote:
    Never been out of Australia but I hope to one day go overseas.

You should try Ireland for a good experience!!!

We are hoping to move out to melbourne in the next year or two.
    Where are you from.

BTW what brought you to boards.

Advertisement