Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Religion is actions

• 14-04-2007 8:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭

The sermon at Friday prayers yesterday was very good. The Imam was talking about how so many people tend to think that practicing Islam is only about praying and fasting and stuff like that whereas religion is so much more. There's the hadith of the Prophet Mohamed (peace be upon him) which states that "Religion is actions" which is a bit of a literal translation. Perhaps, more accurately translated as religion is about actions. Unfortunately, so many Muslims tend to forget this.

For example, one Friday about 3 months ago or so, just before the Imam started his sermon, he was handed a note saying that someone who had parked in front of the Mosque had blocked someone's car off with their own car and the car that was boxed in needed to leave immediately to go the hospital. No doubt the driver who blocked off the other driver was in a hurry to get into the Mosque but in doing so, they blocked off someone else which isn't very considerate and one can only wonder whether they gained any reward from God for attending Friday prayers that day. In addition, the Imam said that he was so anxious about the other car that was blocked that he found it hard to concentrate during his sermon so that's another problem that the driver caused.

I happen to think that one of the main reasons why the Muslim world is so backwards at the moment is that most people have forgotten this important link between religion and good action.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭blackthorn

That's a good example MR, and it reminds me that our Messenger (peace be upon him) said he had been sent to perfect good manners. I think that is what is missing at times in our interactions - good manners. I mean contrast the anxiety of the Imam for the person who needs to get to the hospital but is boxed in (imagine what that person is feeling!), with the selfish action of the driver who parked their car in the way. Ok, they wanted to get to prayers on time, which is not a bad thing, but come on what's the point if you are going to cause someone else such hardship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Nice post, new_mr:) Religion is actions is a great philosophy. Allah sees everything of course, all actions.
    Thinking about the Ummah on a large scale, Iran and Pakistan both call themselves 'Islamic Republics', though I think "Nationalist Republic" or "The corrupt Republic of" would be more appropriate in either case, as it would be in many other Muslim countries. If they were being truly Islamic, they would live up to what is expected of them, cut out their nationalisms and corruption and clean up their act as an example of what a good Muslim society can be.
    I cannot understand why this doesn't happen. Looking around the world all you see are a long list of Muslim places whose leaders and Governments seem to have forgotten how to be Muslims. I'm not sure what any of us can do about this, but we do have control of our own actions, and while we may not be able to singlehandedly save "The Kingdom of" Saudi by reflecting Islam in its actions, we can reflect Islam in our individual actions, and that is a great ability to aspire to:)

Advertisement