Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestion for Boards Charitable Project

Options
  • 14-04-2007 8:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭

Apologies if I'm posting in the wrong forum on this, but I seem to remember Feedback being used for this kind of topic before.

I recently watched a TV programme on Book Aid, the international organisation that provides schools with books in some of the poorest countries. Here's a good summary of what they do:

http://www.bookaid.org/cms.cgi/site/donate/

Book Aid do some great work, but the scope of what they do is 'limited' to providing only new school/text books.

The cost of a book is almost the average monthly wage in all of the countries they work in.

I'm a bit of a charity-book-shopping junkie and it always amazes me the amount and quality of books people donate. We've always had a long history in Ireland of cherishing the written-word and I think as a country we have the highest rate of book ownership per capita in the EU.

What I'm suggesting would be something like a Boards Book Run. It could involve a specific forum being set up with stickies/info/lists of individual schools in these areas and their postal addresses, and also typical postal rates and optimal parcel sizes.

It would up to individual boards members to donate directly to any of the schools listed. Members could optionally flag their donations as messages so it would be transparent which schools were getting what books.

Waddaya think?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

I think thats a good idea..

I, personally, have loads of old books from School at home and would be willing to donate some

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I, personally, have loads of old books from School at home and would be willing to donate some
    I’m not necessarily talking about school books, but *any* non-fiction and fiction books of educational merit that would be of use to a school library.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

You dont need to look internationally. You know there are a lof of little schools out in the country that have very thin book supplies for their students, not school books, but story and library books.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Kids are kids. I dont care about their passports.

Yes, this is a project I've been giving some serious thought to. Its definitely going to happen but I was away for over a month and I wanted to have spare time when it started to put it on the right track. I've just returned from Malta (what I've been working on might even be featured in the Sunday Times tomorrow!) and now have the time I need to give this some attention. (In fact I would have started it this week but my laptop blew up... I'm writing this on my sisters! lol)

I'll create the project management forum this week and move this suggestion there then. Might get a chance tomorrow.

DeV.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Ok, "The B Team" (for want of a better name) forum is up and running. I will post a "WTF is this?" and charter soon. The former sooner then the latter.
    The forum is under SYS at the moment. Cant think of anywhere better for it.

This HAS to live without me because for at least the next 3 months my life is in absolute chaos and I simply will not have time to drive it...
    Still, if we wait for me we'll be waiting forever.

DeV.

• Advertisement
Advertisement