Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What recent PC games are decent?

Options
  • 14-04-2007 9:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭

Getting a gaming laptop(no I don't intend to do actual gaming unplugged very often but I need portable gaming) and wondering what games I should get for it. I really want something that looks "Next gen"(not far off Xbox 360 and PS3 quality, but keep in mind I've got a Geforce Go 7600 so very good but not top of the range) but isn't boring like most moden PC games.

FEAR would appeal to me because of the weirdness factor but the weirdness factor is in your enemies not the player character, which has been done in every FPS since Doom. If there was an an FPS where you could play as a psychic maniac that'd be pretty cool.

Any other recommendations?

I wouldn't mind some older games too that don't suck the battery.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,456 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Rozie wrote:
    Getting a gaming laptop(no I don't intend to do actual gaming unplugged very often but I need portable gaming) and wondering what games I should get for it. I really want something that looks "Next gen"(not far off Xbox 360 and PS3 quality, but keep in mind I've got a Geforce Go 7600 so very good but not top of the range) but isn't boring like most moden PC games.

FEAR would appeal to me because of the weirdness factor but the weirdness factor is in your enemies not the player character, which has been done in every FPS since Doom. If there was an an FPS where you could play as a psychic maniac that'd be pretty cool.

Any other recommendations?

I wouldn't mind some older games too that don't suck the battery.

STALKER is very, very good. Not state of the art mind, but may be if you knock it up to its highest settings. Good if you like FPSs like Deus Ex.

As for a psychic maniac? Not sure if I can help you there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Rozie

I mean I'm looking for games that have actual characters in them and not just some random faceless soldier or angry scientist like 99% of PC Games as of late.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

half life 2 and the expansions if your into FEAR

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

I never played it, but didn't you have weird psychic powers in Prey? It's been out a fair while though, might not challenge the hardware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Rozie

I don't mean literal games with Psychic powers(Though Psychonauts is awesome) I mean games with gameplay mechanics that aren't just the same as everything else but with different kinds of enemies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭TheAlmightyArse

Pathologic is about as weird and interesting a PC game that you'll find on the shelves at the moment, and it's very much character driven (to the point that certain NPCs play with notions of who you're playing as and who you are. Which is cool, obv.).

It's a technical mess though, and won't push your laptop at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Sounds like Penumbra might be just what you want.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=74791

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,456 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Crucifix wrote:
    I never played it, but didn't you have weird psychic powers in Prey? It's been out a fair while though, might not challenge the hardware.

Prey is a good recommendation alright. The lead is not faceless (!) and has some decent motivation for his actions (!!). The gameplay mechanics are interesting too, with vertigo inducing anti-grav and the like. It's not a perfect game, but I was well impressed with the 360 version (short though).
    Oh, but the enemies are your average grunt, alas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

i got thief 3 on steam the other day cos i lost my original disk. well worth a look (20 dollars)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭FunkyChicken

Prey is great at first but you really really get sick of it by the end. I thought anyway. It's very repedetive and I just found myself playing it just to finish, not that I wanted. Get HL2+ep1 and Fear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

If you are looking at any of these, FEAR is in play.com 's sale for just over ten euro. Prey is a few quid cheaper. I'm thniking about buying both.
    Although that's just the original FEAR, you might be better off looking around for an edition that includes the follow-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

FEAR is ok, bit repetitive.
    Half life 2 is excellent
    Fahrenheit is feckin deadly
    BF2 is best multiplayer on the net
    Quake 4/Doom3 suck
    Company of Heroes is best RTS out there

Those are my views

BUT...for
    If there was an an FPS where you could play as a psychic maniac that'd be pretty cool

there is a game called Psi-Ops, though ive never played it.;)
    Im near positive its an FPS in the same way as FEAR, but you have pyschic abilities n stuff aswell.

Check out http://www.gamespot.com or http://www.ign.com for reviews

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I played Condemned on the 360, not the PC, but I'd recommend it. Plenty of other recommendations in this thread, good call on Fahrenheit, Seantheman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

SeantheMan wrote:
    FEAR is ok, bit repetitive.
    Half life 2 is excellent
    Fahrenheit is feckin deadly
    BF2 is best multiplayer on the net
    Quake 4/Doom3 suck
    Company of Heroes is best RTS out there

Those are my views

BUT...for

there is a game called Psi-Ops, though ive never played it.;)
    Im near positive its an FPS in the same way as FEAR, but you have pyschic abilities n stuff aswell.

Check out http://www.gamespot.com or http://www.ign.com for reviews

played about an hour of fahrenheit, it was good but not exactly mindblowing. Kind of like a 3d point and click adventure.
    Doom3/Quake 4 are far from sh!te. If you like a good pick up and play blaster then theyre the perfect antidote to the uber serious 'dead before you even start the map' tactical tom clancy kinda game.

An hour isn't really enough to judge a game like Fahrenheit properly, IMO. It gets a lot better as you go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Quake 4 and Doom 3 were thoroughly enjoyable, I think people were expecting too much of them, they were always gonna be mindless shooting.

Doom 3 is better because the weapons are better (shotgun and machinegun are class) and the atmosphere is more tense. Doom 3 is one of my favourite FPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭billius

I'd go with Condenmed. It's very similar to Fear in appearance but the combat system is very unique. You can rip a pipe from a wall and use against an enemy, but also to defend against enemy attacks. There are very few firearms, so it's all about "hand-to-hand" fighting, so to speak!

Good cast of characters too...although I can't remember the main character ever speaking!

Very good game and one of the only recent games to hold my interest to the end!

Playing Stalker at the moment, but it's a hungry beast...you need a good machine to get the most out of it. Your laptop may not be able for it.

The main character in Condemned is the FBI guy, Ethan Thomas, he does talk throughout the game, usually on his phone (to Rosa? I think her name was Rosa), when he's uncovering the story. I'd go with that or FEAR if you want an FPS, both Monolith games too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Simply buy IL2 1946 and a good Flight Yoke and that's all you'll ever need..
    Also Silent Hunter 4 is fantastic..Also I'm enjoying Stalker and Penumbra too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

koneko wrote:
    An hour isn't really enough to judge a game like Fahrenheit properly, IMO. It gets a lot better as you go on.

Yeah, but i heard it gets worse in the end when the story goes completely batsh!t

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

postal 2 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭nzamcdza

Fahrenheit is excellent!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

I'd avoid FPS's on a laptop, as they're (still) a right pain to play with a touchpad or pointing nib - unless you plan on using a mouse, of course.

I'm currently revisiting the Close Combat series of RTS/RTT games - admittedly, Company of Heroes is a 3D update of the concept, and quite a good one it is too :)

Advertisement