Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joinery - goods not supplied as promised!

Options
  • 14-04-2007 10:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

Need advice re: Joinery who did not provide goods as promised !! please forgive for the long banter!!

Other joiners wanted to 'sell off the laptop' we had a picture in our heads of the way we wanted our front door to look (nothing too complicated) and so we gave our order for PVC windows and Teak front door to a Joinery who said they could make the door for us no problem. They've been in business for over 25 years and had a reputation for solid windows and doors.. (my parents had gotten solid windows from them in 2000 and had no problems) We went down to their outfit and looked at what they did and worked with them on how the door would look. They said it would be no problem. Misunderstandings then arose with they went ahead (without a quick call to us) and cut out the panel shape etc. in a way easier for them....after a few more visits to them we got that sorted..( another story there - too long to go into).

Overview: Gave the order in January, Windows were delivered end of February. Gave them a further payment cheque. Three weeks passed (obviously forgot us when they got Feb payment) they just left the front door lying around, until we called them looking for our door and they then proceeded with work on the door again, they had to order tempered glass from Tipperary etc. etc. Three weeks after that (after several calls to them, and several excuses from them, the last one was the van that would deliver our door was left into the garage the evening before Good Friday and delivery would not be for another week) our front door was delivered Thursday just passed.

Surprise surprise the lead detail etc. on door looks wonderful. But low and behold the panels at the bottom are dire!!. The Left panel woodgrain is all dark and is completely mismatched with the one on the right which is light and has a dark horizontal line through the middle!!! Very very obvious indeed.. Door jams are somewhat dark also but think we can live with that... We contacted the Joinery, e-mailed photos to them and are now waiting to hear from them.

Upon further inspection we see that there is shrinkage in the bottom panels and we understand that it's only a matter of time before the rain gets in on top of us. Probably to do with the door lying around since February in a very draughty Joinery.... we have yet to mention this to the joinery, plus the fact that they scraped the inside glass on a top panel of our sunroom window (when reinstalling the lead panel that they smashed on their first installation in February... need I continue to paint this awful picture?)..

We have had enough of this shoddy business. We never thought they were this incompetent. We did not give them any further payment Thursday - told them we wanted to check out everything first...thank God we did.
    We have a balance owing to them of EU1300 ... should have held back on more, but the lady gave us a sob story back in February that money was badly needed down there, bills coming out of everywhere etc. and we fell for it..

What course of action should we follow if they ignore us and refuse to replace the panels (which I dont think they can since they would have to dismantle the door) or replace the whole door? Would they walk away from EU1300? If they say they will replace panels/door how can we make sure it's not drawn out for a further six weeks or more??

People have told me they got teak windows etc. from them over 20 years ago they are as good today as back then. What has happend to this Joinery? In my opinion Ireland today is all about quantity not quality!! What can we do..???? Thanks for reading my long rant...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭ainemolloy1

tough one. I dunno try ringing office for consumer affairs. I sent them an email to do with right to light, and after thinking that they ignored my request came back with a definitive answer weeks later. So they know their stuff. Whatever you do don't hand over any more money, & if you are daring there is this great advice slot on the radio to do with consumer affairs, I always find it informative, you don't have to go on the air as far as I can gather. It's called 'Know your Rights' and it is on late morning on Newstalk, and seriously it's worth a go. (no I don't work for them!!!) Anyway best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 shesham

Thanks for your advice Aine ... will listen to that program and even make a call to them. No way are they getting any more money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 shesham

Update. Joinery have taken back door and will make us a new one. Will have to wait and see what new one looks like...

Advertisement