Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joomla on Eircom Webspace

Options
  • 14-04-2007 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭

I'm thinking of making use of my free 100mb webspace on Eircom and maybe learning how to use Joomla ( absolute newbee ) , will Joomla work on Eircom Webspace ?

pjq

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Not as far as I am aware. The Eircom free webspace doesnt provide mysql databases, or, iirc, even support php scripting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

No, Joomla will not work on Eircom, but if you want a bit of web space to hack around on Joomla with, I'll give you some and an FTP and all that...Just PM me

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭pjq

Nevf,
    Thanks for the offer of space , however I won't accept as I don't know what I'm doing or how I'll persevere .
    Is it a good idea to download Apache (Xampp) and set it up on a drive on my PC ? Or am I adding more complexity where I'm already challenged?
    pjq

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Sorry for buttin in ,I'm in the same boat myself with eircom webspace.

I thought there was a freebie program to design a basic webpage ?? can't find one though:( ,

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

pjq wrote:
    Nevf,
    Thanks for the offer of space , however I won't accept as I don't know what I'm doing or how I'll persevere .
    Is it a good idea to download Apache (Xampp) and set it up on a drive on my PC ? Or am I adding more complexity where I'm already challenged?
    pjq

If you are unsure and want to learn a bit, then download xampp and set it up. Xampp is fairly OK to set up. Joomla is handy enough but takes a bit of time to work things out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

_Brian_ wrote:
    Sorry for buttin in ,I'm in the same boat myself with eircom webspace.

I thought there was a freebie program to design a basic webpage ?? can't find one though:( ,
    For designing a basic page, try Nvu or OpenOffice. If you're running Linux, try Quanta Plus.

Thanks ethernet ,I downloaded Xampp but I hadn't a clue about it.
    I also got a blue screen and the laptop crashed:eek:

I'll try nvu or open office ,
    Again sorry to the Op for bunkin in on the thread.

Brian.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭pjq

_Brian_ Again sorry to the Op for bunkin in on the thread.

No bother brian , sorry to hear about the "blue screen" , I also downloaded Xampp and then realised it must be put on a separate drive ( there is a "read-me" file in the xampp download), task for tonight!
    pjq

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

IBserver is my posion of choice for local testing on windows.

pjq wrote:
    No bother brian , sorry to hear about the "blue screen" , I also downloaded Xampp and then realised it must be put on a separate drive ( there is a "read-me" file in the xampp download), task for tonight!
    pjq

I went to sourceforge to download ,theres a file with installer in the filename.
    That will install everything for you .(Windows) xampp-win32-1.6.0a-installer.exe
    I did install the file your talking about ,first. And seen all the files where Dos command files etc.
    For some reason I couldn't download from xampp's site ,thats why i went to sourceforge.

I had xampp running ,clicked the 4 service options etc and went to http://127.0.0.1 ,but later on when I was using Youtube ,the laptop froze.
    I pressed the power button till the machine went off,got a blue screen and the bios jammed when the machine tried to load up.Along with a noise coming from the machine ,like a warning tone.
    So I uninstalled xampp .

It's the first time the machine crashed since i had it ,15 months.

• Advertisement
Advertisement