Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who is Jacob?

• 14-04-2007 11:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭

I just remembered the Carl character from earlier this season hasnt been seen in a long time and it got me thinking that he too could be a candidate. Alongside the other main 4 I think it possibly is:

Nobody - he was made up by Ben to induce mindgames with the Others
    Hurley - (just a hunch)
    Jack (
    the last flashback this season will be a Jackback
    Locke (I want John to go to the darkside, it would be fantastic telly ;)

And so many other possibilities Im sure. So, although Im not a fan of them, lets have a poll!

Who Is Jacob? 40 votes

Ben
    0% 0 votes
    Hurley
    7% 3 votes
    Locke
    17% 7 votes
    Jack
    17% 7 votes
    Juliet (she was told of Jacob's existence by Ben but you never know with Lost)
    0% 0 votes
    Sawyer
    0% 0 votes
    Locke's Dad
    0% 0 votes
    Jack's Dad
    17% 7 votes
    Kate
    40% 16 votes
    Other (please specify)
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Walt is Jacob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭PullMyFinger!

The boy who played Walt looks about a foot taller now (baring in mind that only 90 days have passed on the island), I cant see Walt ever returning.

Whoever Jacob is s/he might not know it yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I'm going to go with it being the black smoke!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

My guess is we haven't seen Jacob yet. However, I reckon
    we'll see him in the Ben flashbacks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Nobody - he was made up by Ben to induce mindgames with the Others
    Hurley - (just a hunch)
    Jack (
    the last flashback this season will be a Jackback
    Locke (I want John to go to the darkside, it would be fantastic telly ;)

although certain things have made me think there could be an 'Expose' style swerve when revealing the big bad guy (Jacob) it wouldent be too logical for any of the main characters to be him, considering we have already been shown the losties pasts. We saw them all getting on the plane and coming close to death plus many scenes such as Ben revealing secrets 1on1 to people like Locke, which was hardly just for the audiences benefit.

Although Lost isnt always what i would call logical, Polar bears, black smoke etc the most logical Jacob would be either Ben (once again using mind-games to keep control of the others) or an entirely new character.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Going the biblical route, Jacob has to be Ben's dad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

PiE wrote:
    Going the biblical route, Jacob has to be Ben's dad.
    One of the science team - French womans husband.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

My guess is... Jack's dad. Just for no particular reason. He's connected with plenty of the characters and the island could have healed his problem of being dead somehow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

offler... dude.. that sig is way too big

if you have a point to make about that **** just put it in a thread

• Advertisement

^ isnt a bad idea, could also be a native to the island who put his son in charge of the others. Someone who knows all the secrets of the island but is searching for something or someone, as it would make sense if he somehow hand picked the losties. I also expect jacob to be revealedin bens flashbacks, so father makes sense.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I'd have thought Jack's dad although Ben's dad probably makes more sense. I'm sure there's some biblical allusion at play there alright, so if a gun's to my head I'm going with Ben Sr. I definitely believe he exists though.

although certain things have made me think there could be an 'Expose' style swerve when revealing the big bad guy (Jacob) it wouldent be too logical for any of the main characters to be him, considering we have already been shown the losties pasts. We saw them all getting on the plane and coming close to death plus many scenes such as Ben revealing secrets 1on1 to people like Locke, which was hardly just for the audiences benefit.

Although Lost isnt always what i would call logical, Polar bears, black smoke etc the most logical Jacob would be either Ben (once again using mind-games to keep control of the others) or an entirely new character.

If (as I said above) whoever it is doesnt realise they are Jacob yet then its all still open.

Lets take locke for example ... he has no idea of what his connection to the isle is. He may be yet to realise that he is meant to be someone?

Does anyone get what I mean and have any idea how to explain it properly?

Going the biblical route ..... LOcke is some sort of second coming of Jacob - he probably has four toes like that statue thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

Daniel Meade in Ugly Betty* only has 4 toes.

His father is Bradford Meade. Played by Alan Dale.

Who is also Charles Widmore.

So maybe it is him, or Mr Paik.

I definitely think it is one of the Daddys. And thanks to the spider from Expose, it is possible that Jack's Dad isn't as dead as was thought.

* and Goodwin was Wilhelmina's Texan squeeze too. Are actors in that short supply???!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

I'm probably crazy for even thinking this, but was it ever explicitly said (or strongly implied) that Jacob is a person?

Perhaps something like a computer or an algorithm instead? Maybe even that Valenzetti Equation from the Lost Experience.

abelard wrote:
    I'm probably crazy for even thinking this, but was it ever explicitly said (or strongly implied) that Jacob is a person?

Wow, that was right under my nose! Maybe J.A.C.O.B. stands for 5 different words and it controls Smokie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

I think Jacob is probably someone we haven't seen yet, apart from maybe in a flashback. So far, the strongest candidate is Charles Widmore. Maybe we'll find out more in the next Desmond flashback. I think Christian Shepherd is still alive and involved in it too but he's not Jacob.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

I really feel Jacob is a person we have never seen. You must remember that, this Jacob character must have existed before the Losties crashed on the island in the first place. I don't know who it is yet but i don't think he/she will be reveled for a long time yet.

BTW, nice thread :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

VINCENT!! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

What exactly has been said about Jacob so far? (Spoiler anything from last episode please though!)

What exactly has been said about Jacob so far? (Spoiler anything from last episode please though!)
    From "I do", Pickett said "He wasn't even on Jacob's list."
    From "Not in Portland", one of the screen thingies in the clockwork orange scene said "god loves you as he loved Jacob".
    From "Loser in a Strange Land", Carl said "god loves you as he loved Jacob".
    Then Ben mentioned him a few times in the last eppy.

Actually, this brings up another theory I had before. That Jacob is in fact dead. Notice the past tense "loved" Jacob. Either Jacob's dead or God doesn't love him anymore...

Thanks for that.

Interesting that everyone speculates if Jacob is behind a lot of stuff thats going on in Lost at the moment, just from those few sentances. He mightn't be important at all! And if he is, I doubt we'll see him til season 4...:(

Well seeing as people want to know who Jacob is and think its in some way biblical has anyone researched the figure of Jacob in the bible?

Its said that God loved Jacob but actually hated his twin brother "Esau". Jacob is the one who had the vision of the angels assecending into the heavens (jacobs ladder) only to fall back to earth.

Jacob is also the father of Joseph (and his technicoloured coat) - he had another son (actually 12 in all) called Benjamin.

Check out this wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacob#Jacob_and_Joseph
    When the famine struck, the sons of Jacob went down to Egypt to procure grain for their starving families in Canaan. Joseph recognized them, and demanded to see the twelfth brother of whom they spoke, his own full-brother, Benjamin. He took Simeon as a hostage until they returned with Benjamin. Jacob was distraught when he heard this news, for Benjamin was all that was left to him of his beloved wife Rachel's children, and he refused to release him lest something happen to Benjamin, too. But when their food stores ran out and the famine worsened, Jacob agreed to Judah's promise to protect Benjamin from harm. The brothers returned to Joseph, and when Joseph saw Benjamin he was overcome with emotion, and revealed himself to his brothers.

So what if Lockes dad isn't his biological dad and Ben & Locke are actually brothers? Its a bit far out but wouldnt it be cool?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

locke was adopted ? if so could be possible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

I went for Jack's dad but I'm also wary of the significance of the De Groots AND Alvar Hanso... Charles Widmore perhaps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I think its either Widmore or someone tured renegade from Dharma

I think its either Widmore or someone tured renegade from Dharma

Widmore is a good guess, but i really still feel we have never seen Jacob before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Is it possible that Jacob isn't real?
    Maybe Ben made him up, built him up as a glorified leader, so that Ben could justify any of his own actions by saying that they came from Jacob's orders...
    Also Ben would seem more on the same level as the other Others as they would all be working for somebody else

SumGuy wrote:
    Is it possible that Jacob isn't real?
    Maybe Ben made him up, built him up as a glorified leader, so that Ben could justify any of his own actions by saying that they came from Jacob's orders...
    Also Ben would seem more on the same level as the other Others as they would all be working for somebody else

Nah i think he is real. I mean Juliet said she trusted Jacob. I think she has met Jacob also.

logik wrote:
    Nah i think he is real. I mean Juliet said she trusted Jacob. I think she has met Jacob also.
    "In God We Trust"?

"Our leader is a great man...but he is not a forgiving one" - Ben

Since we found out that Ben is sort of in charge at the others camp, I thought Ben was talking about himself. But he could be talking about Jacob.

Didn't Mikhail (eyepatchy) say something about their leader as well?

"Our leader is a great man...but he is not a forgiving one" - Ben

Since we found out that Ben is sort of in charge at the others camp, I thought Ben was talking about himself. But he could be talking about Jacob.

Yeah, I suppose it's hard to take anything Ben says at face value

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭Brianb8802

6th wrote:
    Walt is Jacob.

Since season 1 I have thought that in the end of it all walt will be the one who makes the island "special", maybe not everything about the island, but he has a huge part in it. I said it here ages ago aswell, but most people laughed it off. I'm still convinced that in the end of the whole lost thing, that walt will be the head hancho of the island

• Advertisement

as far as i could work it out yes Walt was one of those "special" people (like Locke) and that he would have been high up on Jacobs list. but Ben's need for Jack because of his tumor meant that Jacob ok'd the swap of Walt for Jack, Kate and Sawyer (mostly jack) while sending Hugo back to scare the other losties into not looking for the others camp. and although it is quite possible that Walt and his dad are still in the others possesion, when Ben asks Juliet if she trusts jacob the plane had only just crashed and nobody knew about walt.

Yeah Mikhail said more or less the exact same things Ben had to say about Jacob. Maybe the Others have been brainwashed by some cult leader who likes to refer to himself as Jacob?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Kanney

I think ths question should be ''what'' is jacob. Either that or it is Jacks daddy

Brianb8802 wrote:
    Since season 1 I have thought that in the end of it all walt will be the one who makes the island "special", maybe not everything about the island, but he has a huge part in it. I said it here ages ago aswell, but most people laughed it off. I'm still convinced that in the end of the whole lost thing, that walt will be the head hancho of the island

How mate. As we have seen now, the Others did not plan the plane crash, so how could they have even known about Walt. Walt came to the Island with a plane crash, he was not actively sought out by the Others to be their leader.

Walt can't be Jacob, and neither can any of the plane crash survivors.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

This Jacob is really annoying me, none of it seems to add up. Karl's words "God loves you as he loved Jacob" suggests he's dead. A prophet or former leader perhaps who led Ben's people to the island, a great man, etc.

But Patchy and Ben's recent comments indicate he's still alive, and not on the island, how else could he personally take care of Rachel's cancer? He's hardly hiding in a cave somewhere letting Ben run the show.

Jacob turning out to be one of the survivors is ridiculous imo. Related or connected to one them? Very probable. Jack's dad? No way, apart from the fact that he's dead, he was no "great man" (Jack certainly didn't think so). But then again Lindelof is a huge Star Wars fan and I wouldn't put it past him to stick in a "I am your father" moment. There's no shortage of evil daddies to fill the role.

Widmore? He's definitely connected to the island in a big way but Jacob? I don't think so.

Could Jacob be Alvar Hanso (who founded Dharma)?

Arrggghhhh need answers now! :D But if the rumours are true it won't be long (3x20). It's probably someone we haven't met yet.

• Advertisement

Well i think that it is obvious that Jacob is not on the Island at all. He is in fact living in real world. He founded the entire Dharma project.

well ....
    3.20 - The Man Behind the Curtain (Ben Centered)

The past of the island is explored including how Dharma came to be there, why, and what the fateful 'purge' was really all about. Flashbacks will show Ben through various ages up until adulthood. The mysterious 'Jacob' will finally be revealed, and the question of whether any Dharma members still live will be revealed

well ....
    3.20 - The Man Behind the Curtain (Ben Centered)

The past of the island is explored including how Dharma came to be there, why, and what the fateful 'purge' was really all about. Flashbacks will show Ben through various ages up until adulthood. The mysterious 'Jacob' will finally be revealed, and the question of whether any Dharma members still live will be revealed

Where did you get this info mate?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

logik, check out DarkUFO's blog. He compiles spoilers from around the net, including his own sources. Best Lost site on the interweb. Spoiler heaven, be ware! :)

logik, check out DarkUFO's blog. He compiles spoilers from around the net, including his own sources. Best Lost site on the interweb. Spoiler heaven, be ware! :)

Cheers mate, will do :)

I think it's fair to assume Jacob is a male who holds/held a lead role in the Others' social hierarchy, but where he is and whether or not he's still alive is questionable. The Movementarians, the leader?

upmeath wrote:
    I think it's fair to assume Jacob is a male who holds/held a lead role in the Others' social hierarchy, but where he is and whether or not he's still alive is questionable. The Movementarians, the leader?

We know that Ben was born on the Island making him a native. So Jacob could be the oldest living native left. Kinda like a Chief.

Than again, the impression we get is that Jacob is living on the mainland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭Brianb8802

logik wrote:
    How mate. As we have seen now, the Others did not plan the plane crash, so how could they have even known about Walt. Walt came to the Island with a plane crash, he was not actively sought out by the Others to be their leader.

Walt can't be Jacob, and neither can any of the plane crash survivors.

Sorry, i didnt mean that walt was going to be jacob:o, i meant that he was going to be somebody really important when the whole lost thing comes to an end, imo he is alot more special than locke

Brianb8802 wrote:
    Sorry, i didnt mean that walt was going to be jacob:o, i meant that he was going to be somebody really important when the whole lost thing comes to an end, imo he is alot more special than locke
    Not anymore. Walt pissed off in a nice boat, Locke's still on the island. Locke's surely more important for that reason alone.

Not anymore. Walt pissed off in a nice boat, Locke's still on the island. Locke's surely more important for that reason alone.

Brianb8802 - i wasn't having a go at you, sorry if it sounded like that.

Haven't a Clue - Yeah Walt was meant to be in that boat, not sure he actually was, but Desmond sailed around the island ans said it like a snow globe, no way off it. So i think Michael and Walt are being held still.

• Advertisement
Advertisement