Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best quality double glazed uPVC windows?

Options
  • 14-04-2007 12:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭

Is there much variance in the quality of uPVC windows? I need to get some quotes for removing old windows and installing new. The circumstances are that they have to be uPVC & double glazed. Within those limitations, I want to get the best windows available.
    Would prefer to deal with West of IRL based supplier ...but i suppose it doesnt matter if theres a better deal to be had elsewhere..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭De_man

try TJ Gradys, Charlestown, Co. Mayo excellent quality

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭fatchance

This might interest you....when I shopped around for white uPVC georgian windows I noticed that ALL the suppliers used the same frame manufacturer called Rahau (or something very close to that spelling). Only difference was the glass. Different suppliers use different double glazing companies to fill the frames. Make sure it's thermaglass i.e. reflects heat back into house, otherwise there isn't much between them

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Car0404 wrote:
    For information, window supplier to be avoided is Fairco Limited. They measured one of my windows incorrectly and went ahead and installed it without drawing it to my attention. Unfortunately, I'd paid them in full before I noticed the gap at the top of the window - they haven't been interested in dealing with my complaint. Also, bathroom window sills were poorly finished.
    Senator butchered a few of my existing sills and some of the windows are loose in the frames and draughty.
    The front door had to be reinstalled 3 times and its still draughty.
    The quality of the materials seems good, but the quality of work by the two installers was very poor in my opinion and although they were "happy" to come out on multiple occasions they never fixed it "properly" any of the times.

They are also quite expensive.

Advertisement