Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Honda Accord Type S 2.0 Auto

Options
  • 14-04-2007 1:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭

hi folks
    saw one of these today in the showroom looks great, was thinking of getting one, 2.0 petrol auto...the one in the showroom was manual.....

do honda sell many of these particular model? type S? also in terms of resale the type S..auto is it a sought after car?

to trade in my luna 2.0d4d avensis saloon (14,000km) on the clock 2006

the dealer wants €9500 along with my car for the S type auto with metallic..

he was very interested indeed when he heard i had a diesel avensis..

i have the idea in my head that the accord auto it should deliver 25mpg round town and 35+ on motorway?

is the S type sold mainly in manual or how sought after are the S type overall..
    cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

I think originally the Type S was only available in the 2.4 and manual only as well, not auto. Most were only in the UK. Never seen one over here.

They must have a 2.0L one now instead with all the trimmings and an auto option. It may just have all the sporty extras but no real bhp increase on the standard 2.0L, but I could be wrong.

Most Accords over here are in Executive spec. Normally with a sportier car people would go for a manual, but as Accord owners are a conservative lot, the auto would not necessarily be a disadvantage - its just more would be buyers would probably prefer the more sober styled & suited executive models.

Your mpg figures are realistic too - should get even low 30's around town and mid to high 30's on motorways. Honda autos are pretty good too, so no worries there. Having said that the dealers must be eager to shift same so haggle hard with your diesel Avensis as a trade-in. Otherwise I can highly recommend the 2.0L '07 Legacy's (Estate/Sport Tourers).

Until the diesel one arrives, the public will continue to overlook one of the best kept secrets in family (& quality) motoring.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

what_car wrote:
    hi folks
    saw one of these today in the showroom looks great, was thinking of getting one, 2.0 petrol auto...the one in the showroom was manual.....

do honda sell many of these particular model? type S? also in terms of resale the type S..auto is it a sought after car?

to trade in my luna 2.0d4d avensis saloon (14,000km) on the clock 2006

the dealer wants €9500 along with my car for the S type auto with metallic..

he was very interested indeed when he heard i had a diesel avensis..

i have the idea in my head that the accord auto it should deliver 25mpg round town and 35+ on motorway?

is the S type sold mainly in manual or how sought after are the S type overall..
    cheers

The Accord has been available here with the Type S spec since late 2005.
    The Accord Type S auto costs around €37,500 so he is allowing you around €28k for the Avensis D4-D. Just note that there is an all new Accord due in the next 12 months or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Can i ask, why a Petrol Auto?

• Advertisement

Looks like the OP does below average annual mileage, and an auto suits the Accord. But be warned, buy one auto (they are addictive) and you will probably never drive stick again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

logik wrote:
    Can i ask, why a Petrol Auto?

ok petrol auto..... i have looked around at many diesel autos... not that plentiful unless you go german or swedish...

sonata, vectra, passat available in auto..the first 2 have savage depreciation.
    the passat diesel auto costs nerly as much as a new IS220D!!

so i have looked at toyota petrol autos too... but they have only 4 speed A/T unless you go to the 2.4 avensis which has 5 speed auto..

my preference is for a diesel auto but all i can find is
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=Car&carID=649656&message=You%20searched%20for%3A%20Audi%20A4%2C%20Oldest%3A%202006%2C%20Automatic%20Transmission%2C%20Diesel%20Only%2E%20Your%20search%20returned%20one%20vehicle%2C%20which%20is%20shown%20below%2E&CFID=5666525&CFTOKEN=17469609
    the next car that took my notice was the accord..which is 2.0 and has 5 speed A/T and is a nice drive..... however i spoke with someone today who told me that the accord drinks petrol!

TomMc wrote:
    Looks like the OP does below average annual mileage, and an auto suits the Accord. But be warned, buy one auto (they are addictive) and you will probably never drive stick again.

that mileage is from oct 06 til now - 6months driving = 14,000 km

so 28,000 km per year or 17,500 miles a year.

thats the thing drove an auto for a week and got the taste for auto...... now i find driving a manual a real pain in the A**

TomMc wrote:
    Your mpg figures are realistic too - should get even low 30's around town and mid to high 30's on motorways. Honda autos are pretty good too, so no worries there. Having said that the dealers must be eager to shift same so haggle hard with your diesel Avensis as a trade-in. Otherwise I can highly recommend the 2.0L '07 Legacy's (Estate/Sport Tourers).

Until the diesel one arrives, the public will continue to overlook one of the best kept secrets in family (& quality) motoring.;)

a dealer told me today the Accord SR auto is now a discontinued product.
    the S type auto theres only one left in ireland, and its the artic blue colour..

he was saying to go for the exec auto 2.0 ,... but thats beyond my budget!

The executive spec in the Honda is the norm (very popular), you could always buy a nearly new one but if its a new motor your after, the Legacy is a better car and more individual too. It has had its facelift and there is no new model on the horizon either (apart from the one with the new flat four diesel engine).

The reason there may only be one Type S Auto Accord in Ireland is not that they have sold lots, more likely because only a couple are imported in the first place. Generally in Ireland, these type of auto cars (when not really at
    the prestige end of the market) are special order only. Distributors know certain autos can hang around in some cases for years, so only bring in a handful, and so no choice of colours either. Artic blue is a popular colour too, its usually the darker indigo blue on the exec models.

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote:
    The Accord has been available here with the Type S spec since late 2005.
    The Accord Type S auto costs around €37,500 so he is allowing you around €28k for the Avensis D4-D. Just note that there is an all new Accord due in the next 12 months or so.

i drove the accord auto again today it really is a sweet motor
    was driving along at 50mph and the car was doing under 2,000 revs..
    it sure is a joy to drive. the onboard computer was saying that i was getting 7.5L/100km about 37mpg..

the 5 speed auto seems to add to the fuel economy. i was driving an exec model demo.

he wants €11,000 for the 07 demo with 6,000 km on it or €9500 for a new stype auto.. (along with my avensis luna 06)

which do you think is the better buy?

what_car wrote:
    i drove the accord auto again today it really is a sweet motor
    was driving along at 50mph and the car was doing under 2,000 revs..
    it sure is a joy to drive. the onboard computer was saying that i was getting 7.5L/100km about 37mpg..

the 5 speed auto seems to add to the fuel economy. i was driving an exec model demo.

he wants €11,000 for the 07 demo with 6,000 km on it or €9500 for a new stype auto.. (along with my avensis luna 06)

which do you think is the better buy?

I presume the 07 demo is the higher spec Executive model which has leather electric seats, etc. The only thing is that when you go to sell it you are the second owner. Not sure if you will get that €1500 of a difference back either. Will not make much difference if you plan on keeping the car for a good number of years though. If you change your motor frequently then it might.

bazz26 wrote:
    I presume the 07 demo is the higher spec Executive model which has leather electric seats, etc. The only thing is that when you go to sell it you are the second owner. Not sure if you will get that €1500 of a difference back either. Will not make much difference if you plan on keeping the car for a good number of years though. If you change your motor frequently then it might.

the only available accord s type auto in the country is in artic blue..
    same colour as this car...
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=650642
    im surprised that thats the only one available.....

the demo accord exec with 6000km on it, the dealer says he wants €39000 for it..
    they are €42390 new! so thats only €3390 less than a new one! surely the demo exec is defo not worth €39k?
    it should have depreciated more?

im selling my car privately so ill have more flexibility...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

what_car wrote:
    ok petrol auto..... i have looked around at many diesel autos... not that plentiful unless you go german or swedish...

sonata, vectra, passat available in auto..the first 2 have savage depreciation.
    the passat diesel auto costs nerly as much as a new IS220D!!

so i have looked at toyota petrol autos too... but they have only 4 speed A/T unless you go to the 2.4 avensis which has 5 speed auto..

my preference is for a diesel auto but all i can find is
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=Car&carID=649656&message=You%20searched%20for%3A%20Audi%20A4%2C%20Oldest%3A%202006%2C%20Automatic%20Transmission%2C%20Diesel%20Only%2E%20Your%20search%20returned%20one%20vehicle%2C%20which%20is%20shown%20below%2E&CFID=5666525&CFTOKEN=17469609
    the next car that took my notice was the accord..which is 2.0 and has 5 speed A/T and is a nice drive..... however i spoke with someone today who told me that the accord drinks petrol!

Mate Auto's in my opinion are always cheaper, except for Merc's as they are nearly all Auto.

what_car wrote:
    the only available accord s type auto in the country is in artic blue..
    same colour as this car...
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=650642
    im surprised that thats the only one available.....

the demo accord exec with 6000km on it, the dealer says he wants €39000 for it..
    they are €42390 new! so thats only €3390 less than a new one! surely the demo exec is defo not worth €39k?
    it should have depreciated more?

im selling my car privately so ill have more flexibility...

If it is the only one left in the country then I'm afraid the dealer will probably get that price for it. Simple rules of supply and demand apply.

bazz26 wrote:
    If it is the only one left in the country then I'm afraid the dealer will probably get that price for it. Simple rules of supply and demand apply.

does the accord auto have any sport or cruise mode on the auto box?
    or are there any settings that you can change on the auto box?

such as overdrive?

i didnt notice and forgot to check when i drove the accord auto

what_car wrote:
    does the accord auto have any sport or cruise mode on the auto box?
    or are there any settings that you can change on the auto box?

such as overdrive?

i didnt notice and forgot to check when i drove the accord auto

Have no idea, I don't know much about autos to be honest.

I doubt it has any adjustable settings for suspension, traction control etc; but the electronics will possibly adjust gearchanges somewhat, to your driving style.

Looking at the gate on a carzone photo it looks as if it has P, N, D & D? below it.

so "D" for fully automatic mode

and of course the + & - for manual (tiptronic style) gearchanges,

if you want a more sporty drive, but seldom used to be honest.

The kickdown function would still apply like with all autos where it changes down a gear, increasing engine revs, when you depress the accelerator pedal fully (for safer & swifter overtaking).

My browser will not let me look at the Honda site but I'm sure its a 5 speed auto.

bazz26 wrote:
    Have no idea, I don't know much about autos to be honest.

went with the type S auto bought it today! managed to haggle another 250 euros off the price so its 1500 cheaper than the next nearest honda garage.!

good bye to manual gear changes ! yipee! the book figures are 34 mpg combined for the 2.0 auto.

however on the demo i drove for a 10 mile trip it was saying i was getting 37mpg.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Congrats on that - hope it serves you well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,372 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Best of luck with your new car!

Safe & pleasant motoring, good luck.

Take it handy (with an auto) for a few weeks till you get use to it. While they are generally quicker off the mark from a standing start than manuals, error on the side of caution at junctions and roundabouts, avoid the urge or need to have to floor it. Be gentle on the brakes (don't use your left foot either) and also just feather the accelerator pedal or use the creep (engine idle) when reversing.

Expect the unexpected with fellow roadusers too. You would need eyes in the back of your head at times. We don't want some prat damaging your new baby.

TomMc wrote:
    Safe & pleasant motoring, good luck.

Take it handy (with an auto) for a few weeks till you get use to it. While they are generally quicker off the mark from a standing start than manuals, error on the side of caution at junctions and roundabouts, avoid the urge or need to have to floor it. Be gentle on the brakes (don't use your left foot either) and also just feather the accelerator pedal or use the creep (engine idle) when reversing.

Expect the unexpected with fellow roadusers too. You would need eyes in the back of your head at times. We don't want some prat damaging your new baby.
    thanks
    how do i check that the car im getting is the newest honda accord model
    and not an earlier one that was in the honda compound for ages? when did honda make small changes to the accord?

does the white mileage counter, mean its the new model?

what_car wrote:
    thanks
    how do i check that the car im getting is the newest honda accord model
    and not an earlier one? when did honda make small changes to the accord?

Accord got a very subtle facelift in early 2006. Clearer headlights, new front bumper and different style alloy wheels. Type S was only available here in 2.4 litre up to 2005 afaik.

2003 - 2005 Accord:
    583060_20070124050138_1.jpg

2006 - Present Accord:
    johnmoloneyAccRED162.jpg

cool thanks for that.....
    picking up the car next wk! from ppl i spoke to tell me that the accord a fast motor.,.

do you rekon i need to purchase a steering wheel lock or other security device?

cheers

what_car wrote:
    cool thanks for that.....
    picking up the car next wk! from ppl i spoke to tell me that the accord a fast motor.,.

do you rekon i need to purchase a steering wheel lock or other security device?

cheers

A good alarm might be your best option as a deterent. But if a professional thief really wanted the car he would probably take the keys. The car cannot be started without them as it has an immobiliser.

bazz26 wrote:
    A good alarm might be your best option as a deterent. But if a professional thief really wanted the car he would probably take the keys. The car cannot be started without them as it has an immobiliser.

i believe the car already has an alarm as standard and is deadlocked...

what_car wrote:
    i believe the car already has an alarm as standard and is deadlocked...

Should be enough then imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 1st Colt

I'm sorry to be no help whatsoever on this thread fellas, but my boyf has a 93 accord, can't remember off top of my head which model - but he swears by it! it's his (other) babe !!

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote:

picked up my motor today , its a very nice motor indeed,, the auto box is so quiet and smooth... oodles of power under the bonnet........

it seems to be an eye catcher too!

Advertisement