Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Learning to drive in Dublin

Options
  • 14-04-2007 2:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend a quiet spot in Dublin to show a beginner the basics of clutch control and not crashing? I was shown the ropes by the old man in a series of quiet industrial estates around Cork years ago, and i can't think of anywhere around here (southside Dublin) that would be safe and quiet.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

How about Ballymount? The main road from the Walkinstown roundabout the Red Cow can be busy but there are plent of side roads.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

not sure about the southside, but theres a lot of quiet estates around blanchardstown. You might be better asking here tho:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=909

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭andrew_ireland

I learnt in a quiet carpark, it was divided up by concrete footpaths so I could learn left and right\turns and parking straight. Was all going great until the time came to drive out of the carpark and met an artic- I found reverse then....quickly!:D :eek: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Hootie

The only problem with industrial estates is that now a days companies need to be doing business on weekends aswell, whether getting deliveries or loading for deliveries so alot of HGV activity. I remember learning to stop/start on the beach, don't know if cars are still allowed though (13yrs ago) but perfect for learning clutch. The only other option I can think of is that Lidl or Aldi have big open carparks which are empty in the evenings, may be worth a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭littlejukka

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    not sure about the southside, but theres a lot of quiet estates around blanchardstown. You might be better asking here tho:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=909

didn't realise that forum was there. cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Kenpo

Citywest business park in the late evenings can be good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭ciano14

dolymount beach ?
    it used to be much better without all the rows of rocks they put down but hey
    although the gards are there quite alot as there is "boyracers" doing their burnouts ect. and being called almost every few hours by "concerned locals"

• Registered Users Posts: 22,280 ✭✭✭✭Esel

ciano14 wrote:
    dolymount beach ?
    it used to be much better without all the rows of rocks they put down but hey
    although the gards are there quite alot as there is "boyracers" doing their burnouts ect. and being called almost every few hours by "concerned locals"

Dollyer is de nortside, bud! :D

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement