Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.222 for .223

Options
  • 14-04-2007 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭

Its just a suggestion but couldnt those facing the prospect of their .223's being restricted firearms change them for .222's is this not still an effective foxing round? Granted obviously .223 is relatively cheap due to its popularity in Ireland, however if dealers and customers realise the diffuculty in .223 as it is now restricted the .222 could do quite well no?? im just asking and interested to know your thoughts??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

It is ,except Da Man in his wisdom decided long time back that 222 was
    "a military round that could be fired in an Armalite."
    True it will chamber all right,but I wouldnt like to pull the trigger!Unless I was at the end of a long string,behind some sandbags!:eek:
    Wonder did any of those brainiacs in the DOJ,Gardai,Army who come up with these doozies ever try these mad statements in practise??:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

So getting a .220 swift, a far more powerful caliber, is ok but a .222/.223 isnt because some armies use it(except .222 is not a military caliber!!) i like that logic:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭sixpointfive

new kid here, what this all about 223 being restricted? i thought you could get them??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

Yeah I think I must have slept through this one too , I was hoping to step up to new a .223 sometime in summer but does this mean I will have trouble getting one or just won't be able to. Or is the restriction simply on the supply and quantites of the ammunition available? If anyone would post a link to this story it would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

The supers dont follow the law as it is why would that change

• Advertisement

Ok, no they are not restricted in the sense that you cannot buy them over the counter.You can now,as they are at the moment a free calibre.There is talk of restricting them again because they are a military calibre.
    [IE 223 Remington is close to 5.56 NATO which is pretty much used by the Western worlds armies.For a point 223 Rem can be used in a 5.56 weapon.BUT not a 5.56 in a 223 Remington!!!!. ]
    So you can see where the "thought process" is coming from. A military calibre freely available might give the "IRA and criminals"ideas.
    Despite the fact that this is now an old hat arguement,they are still trying it on in the CJB!!!
    However,I would go ahead and buy one anyway.Dont let this put you off,the more that buy them,the more trouble it will be to restrict them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

Thanks , thats one more mind at ease.
    I thought I remember hearing the age old military cal argument somewhere before. And yet they see no problems with 9mm ammunition in the same way even though it probably has a lot more black market uses. Or are you people with the handguns restricted on this? :rolleyes:

Nope,the 9mm is proably the most most commonest ammo cal on the planet next to the 22lr or 7.62X39[AK] They are talking about including it as a Restricted calibre as well,as it is used in service pistols as well.:rolleyes:
    Despite it being used ASFIK even in Olympic shooting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Nope,the 9mm is proably the most most commonest ammo cal on the planet next to the 22lr or 7.62X39[AK] They are talking about including it as a Restricted calibre as well,as it is used in service pistols as well.:rolleyes:
    Despite it being used ASFIK even in Olympic shooting.

Who is purporting all this blabber about .223 and 9x19 being restricted?:eek: I have had a .223 rem 700vssfII for the past two seasons.Transfered from my .22LR which i had since '99

I heard this rubbish four years ago! Largely coming from Doggy dealers with a load of SWIFTS that the could not move due to the re-introduction of the .223 on the Irish scene!
    I also fire pistol shotgun and Hunt deer Legally with my stalking rifle.

Is this not what Nicholas Flood, Declan Keogh and FLAG and Midlands national Shooting centre of Ireland fought for?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Welcome back Clare Gunner

• Advertisement

newby.204 wrote:
    Its just a suggestion but couldnt those facing the prospect of their .223's being restricted firearms change them for .222's is this not still an effective foxing round? Granted obviously .223 is relatively cheap due to its popularity in Ireland, however if dealers and customers realise the diffuculty in .223 as it is now restricted the .222 could do quite well no?? im just asking and interested to know your thoughts??

The irony of the situation is it's not restricted, yet, not legally, only by some supers

Thanks , thats one more mind at ease.
    I thought I remember hearing the age old military cal argument somewhere before. And yet they see no problems with 9mm ammunition in the same way even though it probably has a lot more black market uses. Or are you people with the handguns restricted on this? :rolleyes:

Same argument, military calibre, I've been refused a 9mm pistol. Had to get a 40 S&W

Who is purporting all this blabber about .223 and 9x19 being restricted?:eek: I have had a .223 rem 700vssfII for the past two seasons.Transfered from my .22LR which i had since '99

I heard this rubbish four years ago! Largely coming from Doggy dealers with a load of SWIFTS that the could not move due to the re-introduction of the .223 on the Irish scene!
    I also fire pistol shotgun and Hunt deer Legally with my stalking rifle.

Is this not what Nicholas Flood, Declan Keogh and FLAG and Midlands national Shooting centre of Ireland fought for?:D

Where have you been hiding? heard of new CJB ? theres a thread on this forum, have a read of it ! Wouldn't shout re 22 licence having been amended see thread re restricted list !

Nicholas and the rest did win their case but there are still people being refused these calibres and weapons daily. New CJB will put into legislation Gardai's power to restrict any weapon or calibre ! We won the battle but they will win the war

Advertisement