Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Treating underbody for rust

Options
  • 14-04-2007 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭

Anyone know anyone who will do this well for a decent price? Its on a hummer with only 8000 miles unfortunately 6 of them were the previous owner towing his boat to the sea and dipping the back of it in...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭bo-bo

you can do this yourself - its not too difficult - but is very very messy. i normally use a combination of waxoyl and underbody seal ( both from hammerite ) for the job. depending on how you use the vehicle it may need to be redone every so often.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Mickk

Covering it up will only lead to problems I would imagine. I have already taken the side rails, steps, back wheel swing arm and even the back bumper (metal!) off to be shot blasted and powder coated and I thought the underside will need to be treated to remove completely remove the rust before applying a sealant...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭bo-bo

sorry, my mistake - i didnt read your post fully. if the problem is in its early stages ie light to heavy surface rust, the waxoyl route is still feasable (waxoyl kills rust). all you need to do is ensure that the underside is a) clean and b) free from any loose debris.

i suppose its also possible to get the entire underside of the car media blasted, but i dont know about the practicalities of doing so. you could then get it sparayed in schultz

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Bradidup

There is only one proper way and that is to get it shot blasted professionally and prime it as soon as possible preferably on the same day with good dry weather. I had bike parts and doors off a classic car blasted by the guys that did grave stones and it was too coarse and showed up and made a mess of it.

There was a crowd in Blackrock that used to supply the Irish lighthouse service with an excellent two pack grey primer called Merigh (Irish for rust). It was used for priming steel hulls and marker bauys. It was very expensive, weighed a ton as it was almost solid zinc. I am not sure if it’s still available with current health & safety regulations. It was trade only.

Advertisement