Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinning Sandtex for spraying

Options
  • 14-04-2007 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭

I recently bought a paint sprayer from Aldi and would like to finish off my house using the end of the Sandtex paint I have already bought.

Thing is, the paint has no ratio guide to thinning it down for use in the sprayer. It's doesn't say not to use in a sprayer, it just gives no details on what ratio should be used. I'm going to be replacing the windows etc so don't mind getting things a little messy and want to finish off this pebbledash asap.

Can anyone help? Has anyone used this Aldi sprayer (on sale in the last few weeks) or has anyone thinned down Sandtex paint before?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Sandtex is that the smooth one or the textured one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭chabsey

Smooth, I've read a bit on the net and heard the problems with textured paint and it ruining sprayers. So, smooth it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Your sprayer (I'm unfamiliar with the model/type) should have come with a viscosity cup, a little funnel type affair. You thin your paint gradually until a set volume of paint flows through it in a certain time (there's gradations on the side of the cup)
    The paint will then be the correct viscosity for the sprayer to push.
    As a guide masonry paint will take about 25-30% water for an airless sprayer so your's shouldn't be too much different.
    After thinning you'l need to stir up the mix every so often as the solids in masonry paint tend to fall to the bottom of the can/bucket.
    Don't worry about over thinning it a little, just make sure that it's thin enough for the sprayer not to be laboured.

As for tex or high-build paint ruining sprayers, you need special adaptors for textured, one with a hopper on the gun and they're only for use with an airless. Standard bottle sprayers and small spray tips won't last two minutes.

Advertisement